Accreditation Scheme:relationships between ANSI, NIST, NCSL, ILAC, APLAC, NCCLS, etc.

D

Douglas Purdy

Would anyone venture to explain to me the relationships between ANSI, NIST, NCSL, ILAC, APLAC, NCCLS, etc.? I think I understand the ISO & QS-9000 certification scheme, but I do not have a clear understanding of the Accreditation Scheme (as for all the different bodies / organizations).

------------------

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Douglas Purdy

I am not answering my question! I just read an Article on the INMS website (Canada's Institute of National Measurement Standards). [The address is http://www.nrc.ca/inms/inmse.html] The article "ISO/IEC Guide 25 - Above and Beyond ISO 9000" was informative in formulating the Laboratory Accreditation Scheme. But it raised a question as to the USA scheme. It stated: "Other countries have severalaccreditation bodies that offer services on a national, and sometimes international, basis and then there is the USA where there are in excess of 150 laboratory accreditation bodies." This does not jive with the understanding that the US has two accreditation bodies the NVLAP and the A2LA that issue accreditations in accordance with ISO/IEC Guide 25. What gives?

------------------

D

Douglas Purdy

No this is not the answer either! But I'm still working on it. I did find two other sources which help in trying to understand the various relationships. One was the ILAC-12:1994, Testing, Quality Assurance, Certification and Accreditation. [Their address is http://www.ilac.org/] The other was the ANSI website that describes the many facets of their organization. [Their address is http://web.ansi.org/]. Wonder if I'll ever get a clear picture of how all these organizations make up the Accreditation Scheme?

------------------

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Sorry none of us can help, Doug. I personally appreciate your stopping back and leting us know what you do find out. It's good to have the info as a resource here.

Thanks for the inputs!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Informational US FDA – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDADraft Guidance – Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M What happens to certifications if the issuing certification body loses accreditation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
Sidney Vianna Informational IAF and ILAC Seek Contractor for Establishment of a Single International Organization for Accreditation ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
A Nadcap Accreditation Fee AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Sidney Vianna Informational IAF and ILAC to merge. A Global Accreditation mammoth? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J GLP accreditation for mechanical tests of medical device? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion The proliferation of Accreditation Bodies in the USA ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 7
Sidney Vianna Are the Accreditation Bodies doing their job? Keeping CB's accountable Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
DuncanGibbons How does AS 9100D correlate or differ from NADCAP accreditation? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
Sidney Vianna World Accreditation Day 2019 - consistent accreditation? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
Ajit Basrur Informational Merger of PAC and APLAC to form the Asia Pacific Accreditation Cooperation (APAC) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
M IAS (USA) Accreditation with IAF for ISO 13485 Logo Confusion EU Medical Device Regulations 10
B Request for Information; Application for Accreditation Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
G ANAB ISO 17025 Accreditation - Uncertainty and systematic error? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S ISO 17025 - Help in Getting accreditation- Where to start from ISO 17025 related Discussions 12
R CE accreditation for EN 60601-1 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Technical Steps to ISO 17025 Accreditation ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
M IAF Accreditation and CE Mark Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 24
Marc IAF (international accreditation forum) - Mandatory Documents (MD Series) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
Jerry Eldred ISO17025 Accreditation Not Required For Compliance ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
S Supplier/ Service Provider Accreditation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
H Requirements for parameter based testing scope of accreditation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Registration Certificate Dual Accreditation Marks (UKAS and ANAB) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Do I need A2LA Accreditation? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc IAQG Listed AS9100 National Accreditation Bodies as of 29 June 2014 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 7
TrivialSublime TUV Rheinland voluntarily suspending their ANAB accreditation to AS9100/AS9120. Registrars and Notified Bodies 19
M Understanding accreditation, MoUs, certifications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 28
R Should transfer of certificates be better scrutinized by accreditation bodies? Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
J PT/ILC - No Approved Programs within our Scope of Accreditation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Hershal IAS Public Accreditation Committee Meeting Feb 10, 2014 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G Is there an OSHA Safety Accreditation? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
Jim Wynne Laboratory Accreditation Certificate with no Expiration Date General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Does ISO/IEC 17021 Accreditation work for 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Which is the "Best" Registrar Accreditation Body? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
I International Accreditation Board of Bristol, UK ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
M Is ISO 17025 accreditation required under 21 CFR 820? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
P Losing Accreditation - JAS-ANZ has changed the conditions of non-conformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Comparing Laboratory Scope of Accreditation against internal equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B New website for AIAO-BAR - Unaccredited Accreditation Body ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 33
S Renewal of "Accreditation Certificate of Foreign Medical Device Manufacturer" Japan Medical Device Regulations 3
M Starting ISO 17025 Accreditation from scratch - Petroleum Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
somashekar Is IAF an AB (Accreditation Body) for the ISO9k? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Tier 2 Laboratory Accreditation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Coury Ferguson BSI receives AS9104/1 ANAB Accreditation - October 2012 Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
K Bureau Veritas UKAS accreditation for ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Hershal PAC (Pacific Accreditation Cooperation) guidance on application of ISO/IEC 27000 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
Sidney Vianna Accreditation Bodies to Perform Market Surveillance Visits to Certified Organizations Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
JodiB What point does the Accreditation begin in the process? ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 6