Accredited Calibration Certificate Content - ISO 17025 Section 5.10.4.2 Question

C

CodyK

I just wanted some clarification regarding this section of the standard. It appears that on Accredited Calibration Certificates you have a couple options:

1) State a compliance to a specification and call it: In or Out of Tolerance.

2) Don't state a compliance and just provide the data and have your incoming and out going conditions: As Found and As Left.

Of course uncertainties and all that entails would be considered on both.

If you go with (2) do you still mark or hi lite the points that are OOT and quote the accuracy of the unit or just provide the data only and not mention anything about OOT's or accuracy.

Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Re: 17025 Section 5.10.4.2 Question

I just wanted some clarification regarding this section of the standard. It appears that on Accredited Calibration Certificates you have a couple options:

1) State a compliance to a specification and call it: In or Out of Tolerance.

2) Don't state a compliance and just provide the data and have your incoming and out going conditions: As Found and As Left.

Of course uncertainties and all that entails would be considered on both.

If you go with (2) do you still mark or hi lite the points that are OOT and quote the accuracy of the unit or just provide the data only and not mention anything about OOT's or accuracy.

Thanks in advance!
If I understand your question, how would you be able to highlight the OOT points, if there is no specification to assess it against?

If you are just truly reporting the results and what you found, then that is all you can really do. There is nothing really to assess as pass/fail.

To assess a pass/fail, there needs to be a clear, objective point at which the observed values are within (or exceeds).

Not sure if that helps.

C

CodyK

I see what your saying Brad, but let me put it this way.

I notify a customer there unit is OOT. There response is, they don't want it adjusted for what ever reason. And they don't want there cert to say OOT. They just want the data with no compliance to specification made.

From a 17025 stand point, do I have any obligation to document the OOT condtition onto the certificate and/or data report?

Thanks!

BradM

Staff member
Admin

I see what your saying Brad, but let me put it this way.

I notify a customer there unit is OOT. There response is, they don't want it adjusted for what ever reason. And they don't want there cert to say OOT. They just want the data with no compliance to specification made.

From a 17025 stand point, do I have any obligation to document the OOT condtition onto the certificate and/or data report?

Thanks!
But that is the thing.... you won't be reporting an OOT.

Say I'm calibrating a thermometer. My standard read 50.0C; the unit under test read 51.2C. Is that out of tolerance?

Who knows;:D because there is no basis for comparison. I simply report to you what I observed and such.

I might try to determine some level of tolerance with the customer (mfg. specs; industry specs/guidelines; competitors specs; customer use tolerance; something). That way, as a calibration source you have some basis for adjustment while the device is in your shop.

M

machrk

:)
But that is the thing.... you won't be reporting an OOT.

Say I'm calibrating a thermometer. My standard read 50.0C; the unit under test read 51.2C. Is that out of tolerance?

Who knows;:D because there is no basis for comparison. I simply report to you what I observed and such.

I might try to determine some level of tolerance with the customer (mfg. specs; industry specs/guidelines; competitors specs; customer use tolerance; something). That way, as a calibration source you have some basis for adjustment while the device is in your shop.
we had a problem like that with our paint coating thickness shims - the original paperwork detailing the tolerance of each on thickness had been lost - came to light during our 3rd party ISO 9001 recertification audit - although we had been checking their thickness each year in our ISO 17025 lab - but without the original tolerances it was to no avail

so we decided to get a new set of shims & protect the details of their tolerances

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
This likely should include Clause 4.4 as the customer's requests can be documented and delivered.

I have been there myself, specifying that I wanted readings and not a pass/fail or OOT notation.

Document it under Clause 4.4 and you should be OK.

Just for the sake of discussion, doesn't this circumvent part of ISO 9001:2008? The part of element 7.6 that addresses whet to do when measuring equipment is found to be out of spec: " . . . the organization shall assess and record the validity fo the previous measuring results when the equipment is found not to conform to requirements . . .

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Just for the sake of discussion, doesn't this circumvent part of ISO 9001:2008? The part of element 7.6 that addresses whet to do when measuring equipment is found to be out of spec: " . . . the organization shall assess and record the validity fo the previous measuring results when the equipment is found not to conform to requirements . . .
Good question.

Say I am calibrating equipment for you. You may not want me reporting against tolerances. You want me to verify a pressure gauge, for example. You may want me to just report the values that I observe. I will not report any pass/fail, as there is nothing to report against.

As I return those results to you, it is then your responsibility to assess the results, and determine if there are any pass/fail results. As the customer, you would need to make the assessment.

So yes, you're correct. The results should be assessed by the end user for impact and fitness for use.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Calibration Certificate Result issued by an accredited external laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
N Calibration Lab unable to issue Accredited Certificate when error is too high? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M ILAC p14:12/2010 - Accredited Calibration Certificate Uncertainty General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I IATF 16949, accredited logos, calibration capabilities, etc. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
S Is it mandatory for a Calibration Lab to be ISO 17025 accredited? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
P ISO 9001 Requirements for ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
Crusader Calibration Source not ISO 17025 accredited ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
E Should companies that perform calibration services be ISO 17025 accredited? ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
N Internal Calibration vs. Accredited Calibration for Balance - Differences Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
K Survey Meter Calibration - Accredited Laboratory required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A ISO 17020 Audit Findings - Calibration from Accredited Laboratory required Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
H Finding an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory to perform calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 14
J Compliant Calibration vs. Accredited 17025 Calibration - 1000ml Graduated Beaker ISO 17025 related Discussions 16
S Calibration of equipment in an A2LA accredited testing laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Accredited Laboratory for Calibration of a Radiometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
K Suggestions for a Low Cost Accredited Calibration Laboratory - Ring Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Any News about the FAA 14CFR Part 121 / 145 Requiring Accredited Calibration? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
S Calibrating Biomed equipment in an ISO 17025 accredited calibration laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
J Using Outside Accredited Calibration Laboratories vs. In-house Calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
R Outside Calibration - Accredited, certified - Is NIST traceability guaranteed? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
C Are accredited calibration laboratories more profitable than non-accredited General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration of Ultrasonic Thickness Tester ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
T Calibration Waiver - Calibration by OEM who is not accredited General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J QS-9000 Clause 4.11.2.b.1 - Calibration by OEM vs. Accredited Laboratory QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
G Compliance with ISO 9001-2015 for ISO 17025 Accredited Labs? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
AllTheThings ISO-17025 accredited TEST lab performing internal calibrations (Yes: Here is how) ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Must a company be 17025 accredited to perform internal calibrations? ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
E Accredited vs. non-accredited labs for 60601 compliance in the US IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Accredited vs. non-accredited labs for 60601 compliance in the US Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
N Database that lists labs accredited to ASTM / ANSI standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
G What to do with correction factors overlooked by an accredited standard (6.4.11)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
B Directory of Largest Global Certification Bodies (Accredited) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 16
B Accredited laboratory or not under MDD 93/42/EEC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
W ISO standards /Social Audit Franchise (Accredited & Non Accredited) Service Industry Specific Topics 7
D Who are the accredited Certified Bodies for CE Mark for Medical Devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
Jen Kirley Is your registrar (CB) accredited? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 9
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
Q ISO 14001:2015 accredited but import most product - CB Raised minor NC on Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
S CB accredited by non-aligned AB - industry views? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I ISO 9001 and VWAD (Verified-Accredited Wholesale Distributors certification) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
B AS9100 - Are special process suppliers required to be NADCAP accredited? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
I FAR Part 43 and Application to 17025 Accredited Cal Lab Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
Sidney Vianna IAF Endorsed Accredited 13485 Certification helping Control of Medical Distributors ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
M BS 10008:2014 Registration - UKAS accredited company in the UK to assess our company IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
JoCam Use of ISO Logos if company is not certified by an accredited certification body ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20