Accurate calculations of First Time Quality / First Time Yield

Currently working in the food industry and our unit of measure for production is LBS Produced.

I have been asked to calculate FTQ for the past few weeks. Occassionally we will put LBS on "hold" that were produced earlier in the week and/or month. When I am performing my calculation for FTQ, should I only be focusing on the production runs within the specific timeframe or any lbs that we held during that timeframe, regardless of of it's production date.

i.e. should my FTQ be based on date that a production run was held, regardless of when that production run was produced.

Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
It depends. The intent of a good metric is to drive the correct behavior, and to not drive bad behavior. A metric also needs to be real time and easy to calculate. The question that you raise will make it harder to calculate, and may impact the real time aspect, so the next question would be: What will be the difference in impact on behavior of one approach versus the other? If there is no difference, opt for the easier approach. If one will drive better behavior, take that approach. Don't get caught up chasing a "purist" approach.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Currently working in the food industry and our unit of measure for production is LBS Produced.

I have been asked to calculate FTQ for the past few weeks. Occassionally we will put LBS on "hold" that were produced earlier in the week and/or month. When I am performing my calculation for FTQ, should I only be focusing on the production runs within the specific timeframe or any lbs that we held during that timeframe, regardless of of it's production date.

i.e. should my FTQ be based on date that a production run was held, regardless of when that production run was produced.

Thanks in advance
If you are going about the FTQ on a weekly basis and if any LBS is on hold for matters other than quality in that week., then you have to consider this held quantity too.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
In my experience, FTY is a trailing metric that doesn't need - and really can't support - immediate action. daily failure rates will do that for you. It is also a dynamic metric as you have described. lots or products that all start in one week do not finish together. in general it is the start week that better represents the changing factors for yield; it's not perfect but it's way cleaner than lumping multiple start weeks into the same finish week. In my organization we subgroup FTY by week of product start. We take the products that have been scrapped or released/shipped in any given week and enter them into the proportion for their week of start. the marker is white with a black circle outline when the data are still incomplete. (in other words, not products started that week have been released or scrapped - final disposition). once the subgroup is complete we change the marker to a solid black circle. Everyone understands that a white marker is incomplete data. it takes about 4-6 weeks for a subgroup to complete. if it takes longer than that we know something bad happened - too many lots or products circling in rework.

Of course, this works for us. your situation may be somewhat different and using just the completion week may be sufficient. as Miner said.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Can we use pin gauges to measure an accurate Cpk ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
Ed Panek Ideas to keep quotes for consulting service accurate on not inflated Consultants and Consulting 11
Q How can you justify using a more accurate Pin Gage class? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
M Controls to ensure that Quality Plans are accurate APQP and PPAP 2
R Accurate Quarterly Inventory Turn Numbers Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C Accurate Measurement Method for Flash and Mismatch @0.002" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
optomist1 Accurate Measure of Field Performance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
marmotte Definition Monitoring - Accurate definition of Monitoring - IEC 60601 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
T Accurate Method of Internal Radius Check Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
J Printers and Plotters that do ACCURATE Mylar or Plastic Film Overlays Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
SteelMaiden What does 99.9% success look like if processes were 99.9% accurate? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 19
Marc Keep Your Resume Accurate - Lying on Resume cost CEO his job and $25.1 million Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Marc Definition Accuracy (Accurate) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
R 100% Inspection - 80% Accurate - Quote from Juran (?) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 94
D Measuring ID's: Which is the most accurate? CMM / Sunnen Gage / Plug Gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G How to include machine error in uncertainty calculations? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
L UCL/LCL calculations using Sbar and sigma Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L K1, K2, and EV Calculations Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Value Stream Mapping Calculations Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
bobdoering Unilateral Tolerance Capability Calculations Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
M mtbf (mean time between failures) calculations of an assembly Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
M Stratified Random Sampling Calculations Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B How to validate Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet Calculations for the Cpk value Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
M Design Verification: "Difference" in Sample Size Calculations? Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Plug Discharge Test Calculations IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Jerry Eldred When Does Resolution of Measurement Standard Apply in Uncertainty Calculations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
D Minitab Cpk calculations results in * Using Minitab Software 4
B Using Standard Deviations (sigma, σ) in Calculations Using Minitab Software 6
AnaMariaVR2 Guide to Microsoft Excel for Calculations, Statistics, and Plotting Data Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 11
T Sample Size Calculations taking into account Cost and Test Time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S Anova Gage R&R Calculations for 4 Operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Multiplane True Position Calculations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
B Propagation of Errors in Calculations - Thickness of a coating material inside a tube Using Minitab Software 6
D Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) Calculations Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
A Preparing for CQE Exam - Calculators and Statistical Calculations Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
J Are my Cpk and Cp Calculations Correct? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
P Measurement Uncertainty Calculations Spreadsheet help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Maintainability Calculations - Maintenance downtime of a fleet of 49 trucks Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
P Takt Time & Cycle Time Calculations Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
R Development Rejection Costs in COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality) Calculations Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
R Blender and Coating Equipment Quantity Calculations Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
somashekar Water and Air Pollution Load Calculations help needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
T Excel Time Calculations and Formulas help needed Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 15
bobdoering Capability Calculations: Are AIAG SPC Appendix F Conclusions Wrong? Imported Legacy Blogs 5
N Equipment Error and Accuracy to be included in Uncertainty Calculations? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
J ANOVA vs. X-bar/R Calculations Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Q Why use AFactor in FRUR metrics - Monthly failure rate calculations TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 3
B Minitab %Tolerance ANOVA is Different than my calculations Using Minitab Software 4
Q Measurement Uncertainty Calculations and Microbiology - ISO 8199 or ISO 19036 Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
S MTTF (Mean Time to Failure) Calculations - Opto-electronic device Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6