Acronyms - Use of Acronyms

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Acronym:
NOUN: A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.

(Emphasis added)
From the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition.

Frequently misused to describe any abbreviation or initialism. "Acronym" properly refers to a word. "Scuba" (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) is an acronym; "SPC" is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A long time ago, a client of mine had a book full of acronyms. It was called the "Acronym Survival Kit" - "ASK"

"If you don't know what one is, just ASK"

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
This is an old post, and since 2005, the definition of "acronym" has generally expanded to include constructions that were formerly identified as initialisms. This is a loss for the language, and it came about mainly due to people wanting to use impressive-sounding words without finding out what they actually mean.

G

GoKats78

We have a process to deviate from approved process..and a method of determining at what level the deviation must be approved (General Manager, Division Manager, or Division COO). What we do is use a matrix to determine the risk based on a number of factors; the matrix provide a number...the DARN Number (DARN = Deviation Approval Rank Number). We used DARN as we couldn't come up with an acronym for DAMN!

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
I cant stand acronyms. They serve no useful purpose at all.

American company's are polluted with them and they are now polluting Australia with them.

One day; someone will die because they did not know what an acronym meant. Mark my words on this.

I can only conclude that senior management must regard whole words as prohibitively expensive to speak and write. I can find no other explanation for it.

My daughter's teacher loves to use TLAs (Two- or Three-Letter Acronyms) with little or no context. It was a priceless teaching moment when I asked why she used so many TLAs and after a moment of thought replied that she didn't use any. When I then explained what they were, she seemed to understand the need to make the same clarifications to her students.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H FORD's project milestone acronyms Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
E Nissan (Renault) PPAP Acronyms (DNote , KFD, IR) APQP and PPAP 2
M Please explain the following Automotive Acronyms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E Definition WDA and WRP on a Boeing print - What are these acronyms? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
C What are these EASA Acronyms? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 9
V HALT vs. HASS (acronyms) - Tests for PCB and Cable Assemblies Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
optomist1 A Little Midwestern Whine - Drowning in Sea of Acronyms Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
M VDA Specifications - Common definitions, acronyms, etc. VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
Marc Acronym FAA - Some FAA Acronyms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
B Ford Project Trial Acronyms Customer and Company Specific Requirements 9
Chris Ford Shocking But Real Acronyms Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
S RIG testing and BCR list - Heard of these acronyms? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
T Acronyms/Unique terms in ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Marc Acronym FORD Acronyms (aka 'Initialisms' - Not Always True Acronyms) List Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 17
A Definition NOE and SNN - Boeing Acronyms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Gert Sorensen Help translating abbreviations and acronyms from DDW to plain english? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Marc Definition Wiki vs. A Specific Forum for Acronyms, Definitions, Etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 38
Marc Definition A 'New' Aspect of the Cove - A Definitions and Acronyms page? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 74
R Quality / acronyms brainteaser - Awkward transitions from written to spoken Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
T Definition Alien English - Interpreting abbreviations and Acronyms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 25
Top Bottom