SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Action plan: How to manage actions, preventive actions and opportunities of improv?

T

totty

Hello!

I'm trying to change the way we manage those actions as we have found hard to work with. So here I will explain the way we are thinking of changing our system regarding the actions management:

OFI = opportunity of improvement
A = all the "other" actions
PA = preventive actions
NC = nonconformity

Our "other" actions are preventive actions but we consider them less important. We keep this separation because is really hard to find a cause (8.5.3.a ISO 9001:2008) for them. Even so they are actions like "release promotions of this family of articles" or "select new suppliers for this category of products". It's also time consuming evaluate if they were effective. This is the main reason we keep our actions separated by preventive actions.
In our actions we only write the action to be done, a term date, define a person to do it and the implementation conclusions.

a) We get OFI from audits:
a.1) we put them in a list that are pending evaluation
a.2) if they get a positive evaluation and are given continuity
a.3) we add them to action plan, which contains all the "other" actions
a.4) here we treat like this:
a.4.1) create an action that is relative to the OFI
a.4.2) add a term date to implement this action
a.4.3) then we name someone to do it
a.4.4) then this person must implement it and say the what he done and write up a conclusion and evaluation of efficacy.

b) some "other" actions come from daily basis from in-field. Those are simple and not so major actions that we think is overkill to do all the work that would be required by a preventive action.

c) then we get "other" actions from meeting. Some of them are quite major actions but even so it's hard to treat them like preventive actions.

do you have any suggestions? We might get nonconformity for this reason?

totty
thanks for your time,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Action plan: How to manage actions, preventive actions and opportunities of impro

How about simply doing away with all those distinctions, keeping it simple and label them all as "improvement actions"?

/Claes

T

totty

Re: Action plan: How to manage actions, preventive actions and opportunities of impro

But the iso 9001 requires the preventive actions...

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

But the iso 9001 requires the preventive actions...
You can put these within "Improvement Actions."

Many folks get too wrapped up in labels for activities.
It's the activity and its results that counts.

Stijloor.

T

totty

@Stijloor: so you mean having all the actions named "Improvement Actions" and within some of them are preventive actions, right? the ones that are a pain to do.

and another group that are the rest, without so much pain..

is this correct?
thanks

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

@Stijloor: so you mean having all the actions named "Improvement Actions" and within some of them are preventive actions, right? the ones that are a pain to do.

and another group that are the rest, without so much pain..

is this correct?
thanks
Yes. And that's what my good friend and Fellow Moderator Claes suggested too. ;)

Stijloor.

T

totty

thanks a lot :) where I might find more best practices like this?

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

thanks a lot :) where I might find more best practices like this?
Search The Cove Forums.

Have you found the yellow "search" button?

Use the advanced search version; it uses Google technology.

Stijloor.

But where are my manners? I did not notice that you were a first time poster, totty. So : Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:.
where I might find more best practices like this?
You can find lots of them right here in the Cove. I recommend the search function (See the menu bar near the top of the page).

I also thought I'd elaborate a bit on my previous answer: Yes, you do need to describe how you find potential nonconformities, but once found there is no particular need to complicate matters by grading the actions.

We get actions from many sources. Our registrar, for instance grades their findings according to severity. We just enter them all (including opportunities for impovement) into our improvement actions database and deal with them. Same thing with findings from internal audits: No grading. Into the database they go, to be dealt with. Findings from risk analyses? You guessed it. In the latter case it clearly constitutes preventive actions, but no matter: They go into the database and actions are taken.

The list goes on, but no matter where the findings come from, we must deal with them.

/Claes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Maintenence related action in Control plan FMEA and Control Plans 3
V ISO 10360-5: 2020 Gap analysis and Action plan Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M Informational Medical Device Safety Action Plan: Protecting Patients, Promoting Public Health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA – Action Plan for Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Health Canada's Action Plan on Medical Devices - 2019 milestones Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
D CAPA - Suggested Action vs Action Plan Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
A Corrective Action Column in Control Plan and aligning PFD, PFMEA and Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
Ajit Basrur Medical Devices and Radiological Health FY2015 Program Alignment Action Plan US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
GStough Rejecting a Supplier's Corrective Action Plan When It's Too Weak Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
R KPI Review Meetings never discusses previous meeting action plan status Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
D ISO 9001 CB Audit - Corrective Action Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
V Linking the FMEA Causes & Action Plan with DOE Experiments or Experimentation Design FMEA and Control Plans 1
M Control Plan & Corrective Action pertaining to TS16949:2009 Annex A, A.2(e) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
E CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Plan Templates Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
I Monitoring Action Plan Progress Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Corrective Action Plan Submission Timeframe Nonconformance and Corrective Action 19
E FMEA Action Plan Threshold (RPN) - Auditor says Action Plan for an RPN > 84 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
M Action plan of the significant steps required to implement ISO 9001:2008 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
S Structure for Implementing ISO 9001 - Detailed action plan of the significant steps ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Corrective Action Plan in Molding Company (Quality Assurance) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
T PPM Production Launch and Reduction Action Plan examples needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
ScottK Quality Manual Replacement Action Plan from EU Pressure Equipment Directive Compliant Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
A Quality Objectives ISO 9001:2000 - Is an action plan required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Action Plans Template - Anyone have a good template for an action plan in excel .xls? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
C Corrective action in control plan per Annex A of ISO/ TS 16949: 2002 standard FMEA and Control Plans 4
C How do I write an effective Management Action Plan? Do you have any samples? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V No "Process Owner" for the Control Plan - Who to cite in a corrective action? FMEA and Control Plans 10
U Management Action Plan (MAP) for the COPs. Does ISO/TS required MAP? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
D Corrective Action Plan FORD 8D form and information Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 33
S Process FMEA (PFMEA) RPN Corrective Action Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
S FMEA RPN Corrective Action Plan QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
D Prioritized Action Plan - Start by identifying major scrap items/categories/costs? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5
D Prioritized reduction plan on scrap not being corrected by corrective action Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
M CI Prioritized Action Plan QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
T Continual Improvement as Result of Corrective Action? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 32
3 Non-conformance Register vs Corrective Action Register ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Corrective Action Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Not every INCIDENT report will lead to a corrective action EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Action Not defined in procedure - NC - Incoming inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L Separate Corrective Action and Preventive Action Procedures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
T AS9100D Clause 10.2.1g Supplier Corrective Action for each and every nonconformity? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Non conformance (NC) or Corrective & Preventive action (CAPA) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
I Setting action completion dates Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Medical device Mode Of Action CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Corrective Action Timing - IATF CB Deadline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R AS 9100D - Containment and Corrective action AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
nadhar2 Classification of Action Items Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3