Adding a "Scope Statement " to my Quality Policy

edgedirk

Starting to get Involved
I have only a few years as in writing a Quality Manual.
Now the question:

I just had a audit for 2015.
It was pointed out to me that in my current Quality Policy that I was required to have a SCOPE statement in it. I have never heard of this.
What I was told was:

Add:
Scope: This manual covers " add certificate scope statement".

Is this added to Section 5.3 Quality Policy? Or in my Quality Statement that is posted through out my company?

A clarification of this would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I moved your post to the appropriate thread, assuming you're referring to ISO 9001.

You say that you had an audit for 2015. Was this a third-party (registrar) audit? Were you given a nonconformity statement? If so, can you post the complete text of the statement here? If none of this is correct, please explain further.

edgedirk

Starting to get Involved
Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Yes it was for a ISO 9001 and also by a 3rd party auditor.
I was not given it as a non-compliant, it was a verbal that is is recommended.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I will add a bit before extra detail is added hoping I am guessing correctly as to what you are looking for:

Scope defines what you do. For example, our scope statement is

....supplies Aerospace, Defense, and commercial industry customers with manufactured components and assemblies

What this means is we are not going to 'cut meat' or process food (I think I may be hungry :tg: ). The scope defines the limits of the audit as well. If your scope is manufacturing, you will not be audited on anything but manufacturing and it's related processes.

edgedirk

Starting to get Involved
My understanding:

Section 1.1 Scope
Section 5.3 Quality Policy

Maybe I have answered my own question. :eek:

The Scope on the ISO 9001:2008 certificate should reflect the same in Section 1.1 in my Quality Assurance Manual?

Does this make sense to you that my change is in Section 1.1 Scope verses having my original question of where does it belong in my Quality Policy?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
A scope statement isn't necessary, so you can put it wherever you want to put it, or don't do it at all. If you choose to do it, it should be in the front somewhere.

Randy

Super Moderator
Jim is correct and I'll go a bit further because I'm such a nice gentle soul....You're auditor is full of what's coming out the back end of the horse depicted:horse:

You can document your scope on a gumwrapper if your document control procedure allows it

Unlike most of the others that have commented, all I do is conduct 3rd party audits....That's it, I'm nothing but a 3rd party auditor and you've been given a load of hooey....Tell your auditor Randy Daily says so.

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted Information Resource
I suspect the auditor is referring to your quality manual, not your quality policy. From section 4.2.2a of ISO 9001:2008 - "the organization shall establish and maintain a quality manual that includes ... the scope of the quality management system, including details of and justification for any exclusions."

The auditor is encouraging you to mimic in your manual the scope statement from your certificate.

The scope of your QMS must be defined in your quality manual.

Top Bottom