Addition of a test reader to existing CE marked product.

K

Karen747

Hi Everyone,

Would be grateful if anyone has any insight on the regulatory requirements required when adding a test reader to an already on the market self declared CE marked product.

This test reader i'm assuming would be considered as used in combination with the test and for that fact "the whole connection system must be safe and not impair the specified performance of the device".

Would you think that if we have performed clinical trials on our already on the market test these would need to be repeated with the reader or is it acceptable to compare the reader and the test together against the test being carried out manually on three lots to show equivalence. Would the latter suffice?

Also in terms of technical files for the reader, would the reader now be seen as a medical device or would it still fall under the IVDD?

Thanks in advance,

Karen

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

QAengineer13

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Everyone,

Would be grateful if anyone has any insight on the regulatory requirements required when adding a test reader to an already on the market self declared CE marked product.

This test reader i'm assuming would be considered as used in combination with the test and for that fact "the whole connection system must be safe and not impair the specified performance of the device".

Would you think that if we have performed clinical trials on our already on the market test these would need to be repeated with the reader or is it acceptable to compare the reader and the test together against the test being carried out manually on three lots to show equivalence. Would the latter suffice?

Also in terms of technical files for the reader, would the reader now be seen as a medical device or would it still fall under the IVDD?

Thanks in advance,

Karen
Hi Karen,

My 2c's: There is not a lot of information in your post regarding your previous self declared CE marked product, so I cannot comment on this post without knowing any details, but I believe before you make any assumption:

"This test reader i'm assuming would be considered as used in combination with the test and for that fact "the whole connection system must be safe and not impair the specified performance of the device"."

The key question you need to ask (listed below) to the system along with the new test reader is :

1.Intended Use: Who is the device intended for? The objective intent of the manufacturer regarding the use of a product, process or service as reflected in the specifications, instructions and information provided by the manufacturer
2.Indication for Use: What are the conditions for use of the device, including the conditions of use prescribed, recommended, or suggested in the labelling or advertising of the device and other intended conditions of use?
3.Safety and Risk: What is the probable benefit to health from use of the device when weighted against any probable injury or illness from such use (risk /benefit analysis)?

Based on these preliminary questions and the impact to the existing Essential Requirements checklist would be my first starting point.....

K

Karen747

Hi Karen,

My 2c's: There is not a lot of information in your post regarding your previous self declared CE marked product, so I cannot comment on this post without knowing any details, but I believe before you make any assumption:

"This test reader i'm assuming would be considered as used in combination with the test and for that fact "the whole connection system must be safe and not impair the specified performance of the device"."

The key question you need to ask (listed below) to the system along with the new test reader is :

1.Intended Use: Who is the device intended for? The objective intent of the manufacturer regarding the use of a product, process or service as reflected in the specifications, instructions and information provided by the manufacturer
2.Indication for Use: What are the conditions for use of the device, including the conditions of use prescribed, recommended, or suggested in the labelling or advertising of the device and other intended conditions of use?
3.Safety and Risk: What is the probable benefit to health from use of the device when weighted against any probable injury or illness from such use (risk /benefit analysis)?

Based on these preliminary questions and the impact to the existing Essential Requirements checklist would be my first starting point.....
Hi QAengineer13,

Apologies I should have stated that the current IVD device is a qualitative lateral flow assay.

The reader will be intended for use with the lateral flow assay for professional use only. We will have to update our current IFU to include the reader as we will be an OEM.

The benefit of having the reader outweighs the risk as it takes out the risk of people interpreting the test incorrectly.

Thanks for the reply :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Considering addition of mass calibration to ISO17025 scope ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Addition of IFU on local language by distributor - Article 16? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Distribution Center mandatory addition to Certificate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
dgrainger New decision by MHRA on disclaimers - addition of "manner of use as perceived by the consumer" UK Medical Device Regulations 1
O In addition to the standard, what other ISO 13485 sources do people recommend? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
shrutisancheti Addition of flat panel detector EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Importer Address in addition to Manufacturer details on label EU Medical Device Regulations 13
S Is Lot Number required in addition to UDI serial number? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
C Addition of Design & Manufacture - CE Mark Reissue? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M CO2 Incubators - Equipment Qualifications in addition to Calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
Q Actions Taken - Updating a FMEA for the addition of a downstream poke yoke FMEA and Control Plans 3
E Addition of Label by Initial Importer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Addition in the Scope of Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Is TGA approval required for a ARTG listed IVD for a sample type addition? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
WCHorn Informational How the addition of "Risk" will affect ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 103
G Document Control - Are hard copies required in addition to soft copies maintained? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S MDD Technical File CE Mark - Addition of a Device to our Current CE Marked Family EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Packaging Addition - Non-sterile barrier to protect the whole package 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
P Addition of Testing to Our ISO 17025 Scope - How? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
E Addition of French Language (translation) - New 510(k) required? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
somashekar ISO 13485 & ISO 9001 certified with addition of site. Covegratulations 10
N AS9100 Certification in addition to TS-16949 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Addition of a Class 1 (Sterile) Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L CEDAC (Cause and Effect with Addition of Cards) - Sharing Experiences and Form(s) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 15
K Differences - ISO17025:1999 vs. ISO17025:2005 - The addition of "Improvement" in 4.10 ISO 17025 related Discussions 16
S Value addition to product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Validation of Processes in addition to Customer Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Differences - ISO 13485 - Requirements in Addition to ISO 9001:2000 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
C Is it necessary to have a documented 3 R recycling plan in addition to measures? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
H DIN 12880:2007-05 Clause 7.2 Test Equipment Description CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
E Usability for Near Patient Testing Test Kit Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
B SAE J 524 Pressure Test/Possible conflicting requirements? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
J Automated test lead switcher? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 0
J Applicable Great Britain regulations for a custom-built test rig or evaluation kit used for research purposes only. Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
U Leakage test Standard for Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
A MSA and Poison (Red Rabbit) Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K ISO 17025 Method Validation and Verification for Test Lab ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
J IEC60601-1: HiPot Test Method for Internally Powered Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P Comparing Two Test Variables Using Attribute Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
M Disinfection: Test recommended ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
H Microbiology count test failure Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S AMS 2769 - weekly frequency test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S How to determine sample size to test when the acceptance criteria is x >= Standard value? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
Kevin Walters AS9100 and AS9120 AATT Course and Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
W Conducting an MSA Test on scales Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Lot Release Test and Certificate of Analysis 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
John Broomfield Construction Inspection and Test Plan Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Z COVID-19 Antigen Test Kit (Self-test) Registration in Peru Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R GearBox Test Bench Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
N 60601-2-34 Electrosurgery interference Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0