Interesting Discussion Addressing Human Factors in Corrective Action

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
In a recent AS9100D audit, I received one minor NCN: Need to better document how we're reviewing/addressing human factors within the corrective action process.

Does anyone have a suggestion of something that works? Has someone seen a customer corrective action request form with an area to document this? I understand the objective, but how to better document within our corrective action process leaves me scratching my head.

Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Did you note a trend in your analysis of corrective actions? There's a "as applicable". Did the auditor consider those? Did your organization? It sounds like the auditor has jumped at a highlighted requirement and made a big deal of it.

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
1) I think the was grasping at something to write up.
2) The "trend" might have been that there were some (2-3) longer-open corrective actions in one department. The supervisor had originally replied "operator error / re-trained the operator" and I'd rejected their reply.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm not an AS guy but I thought your post was interesting and have some questions. Did the auditor say why the current documentation was deficient? Was a specific requirement cited in the finding? Was the issue over corrective action for a product (component) or for a process thing (what was the original NC that drove the CA)?

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
The text from finding is below.

Clause: 10.2.1 Nonconformity and Corrective Action
Statement of Nonconformity: The corrective action form doesn’t contain documented evidence that Human factors are considered during the corrective action process.
Evidence: Corrective Action Form, CAR 1062

The text from finding is below.

Clause: 10.2.1 Nonconformity and Corrective Action
Statement of Nonconformity: The corrective action form doesn’t contain documented evidence that Human factors are considered during the corrective action process.
Evidence: Corrective Action Form, CAR 1062
Does it have to? It's an "as applicable", therefore you decide. Are they looking for a check box to say you did/din't consider it? It's all very well for these auditors to drop a finding like this, but they seem to be creating situations. Have you a history of failures due to human factors? Do you have a history of failures due to operator intervention? For example, in a highly automated machining environment, I'd expect human factors to be low down on the list of issues.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
In a recent AS9100D audit, I received one minor NCN: Need to better document how we're reviewing/addressing human factors within the corrective action process.

Does anyone have a suggestion of something that works? Has someone seen a customer corrective action request form with an area to document this? I understand the objective, but how to better document within our corrective action process leaves me scratching my head.

Thanks in advance!
Time to appeal this NCR...

2. determining the causes of the nonconformity, including, as applicable, those related to human factors;

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
qualprod Addressing poor commitment in people Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
R Addressing training requirements - 21 CFR Part 820.25 (1) & (2) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
H Addressing of Undesirable side-effects, harms, risks and side-effects in clinical evaluation report (CER) EU Medical Device Regulations 12
JoshuaFroud Addressing wet ink signatures when more than one site is involved 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J IATF 16949 Cl. 7.5.1.1 d - Customer Requirements - How are people addressing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Q Risk (closeout and options for the addressing) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q ISO9001:2015 Cl. 6.1 - What evidences of risk addressing is needed? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A Addressing every clause in ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Sam Lazzara Experiences with Notified Bodies addressing EN ISO 14971:2012 Annex Zs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
D CAPA Follow-up - Format for Addressing the Assessment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Suggestions for addressing Printed Paper Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J AS9100 Rev C Internal Audit Procedure/Plan - Addressing 8.2.2 - Customer Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
F Document Control - Addressing control of content stored on web sites Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
B Addressing Lots that were measured with Out of Tolerance Gage Pins Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Sidney Vianna Public Comments Requested on ISO Standard Addressing Six Sigma - ISO 13053 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
R Addressing Inspection in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 2
S ISO 9001:2008 Addressing the "Notes" in my quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Addressing ISO 9001 Section 7 in the Quality Manual when Design is Excluded Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
K Compliance of Control Plans to Annex A - Addressing Error Proofing FMEA and Control Plans 13
R Addressing Training in ISO 9001:2000 Process Documents Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 21
S Philip Crosby's Cost of Quality - James Harrington's Book Addressing COQ Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 18
R Customer Focus - Level 1 Procedure - Addressing ISO 9001 Clause 5.2 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Design Input - 820.30(c) - Addressing incomplete, ambiguous... requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
T Definition Human Use (FDA) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
P Human Factors / Usability validation in the time of COVID Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
Q User Requirement Specification for HR (Human Resource Management System) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M HR (Human Resources) based software recommendations Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
H Human Resources Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Is Human Factors testing mandatory for a 510(k) submission? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 16
M Informational EU – Meeting minutes – Competent Authorities on Substances of Human Origin Expert Group Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational UK – Contingency legislation covering regulation of medicines and medical devices in a no deal scenario – Human Medicines and Medical Devices (Amendm Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
J Deciding between Professional Use or Lay Person IVD Test - Human fecal stool specimens Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Informational Technology and innovation of human implants | Panel for the Future of Science and Technology (STOA) | European Parliament Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J0anne Implantable Devices - The effects of surgical scaffold implanted into the human body Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 8
M What is required to run human clinical trials in France EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M Informational USFDA Final Rule – Human Subject Protection; Acceptance of Data From Clinical Investigations for Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P Usability/human factors engineering requirement (standard) for IVD medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
S Nonconformance to a Note in ISO13485 clause 6.2 Human Resources Effectiveness ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
S Is Human Factor Testing required as part of Design Control Validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A Interesting Discussion Human Factors as Root Cause AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
P Global medical device human factors/usability requirement IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 3
Sidney Vianna ISO/TS 30411:2018 Human resource management - Quality of hire metric Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Nanomaterials? Products based on human cell or tissue derivatives? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Medical Devices incorporating human tissues EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S ISO 13485 Cl. 6.2 Human Resources - Personnel working within the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Sidney Vianna Good news! Energy demand will peak for the first time in human history! Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
Colin Pressure Vessels for Human Occupation (PVHO) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
H Certification for Indoor Human-Robot Collaboration Safety Positioning System Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 4
T Human Error vs Technique Root Cause (Categories) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9