Addressing of Undesirable side-effects, harms, risks and side-effects in clinical evaluation report (CER)

Harini17

Involved In Discussions
Dear experts,

Greetings!

I would like to understand the differences and relation between the undesirable side-effects, side-effects, harms and risks of a device.

Also, how to address undesirable side-effects in CER to comply with essential requirements ER 3.

It would be really helpful if explained with an example.

Thanks in advance!

Harini

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Harm - Damage to the patient (for example, unwanted electrical shock from a medical electrical device)
Risk - How probable is the harm to happen, and, happening, how severe it is
Side-effects - Clinical (usually) effects that may happen due to the use of a device, but are not related to the intended use (for example, in a magnetic resonance machine, people may get disoriented due to the confined space)
Undesirable side-effects - Side effects for which the risk is considered unacceptable (in the example above, depending on the acceptability criteria, disorientation might be unacceptable)

Side effects should be identified in risk management (with numerical probability), and "validated" in the clinical evaluation (by having enough clinical evidence).

FoGia

Involved In Discussions
This makes goodsense Marcelo, I also see quite some confusion on the topic but I failed to find a good reference for the definition of side effects - neither the MDD nor the MDR define it, and this make it hard to put into practice myself.
For instance some examples provided in MEDDEV 2.12/1 rev 8 (section 5.1.3.5) leave me wondering about that definition:
A patient receives a second-degree burn during the use in an emergency of an external defibrillator. Risk assessment documents that such a burn has been accepted in view of potential patient benefit and is warned in the instructions for use. The frequency of burns is occurring within range specified in the device master record.
In that case the electric shock is part of the intended use, a burn is something to be expected and I wouldn't classify it as a side-effect (but only as a harm). In effect it seems that all harms provoked by a device could be classified as side effect. What do you think?

Marcelo

This makes goodsense Marcelo, I also see quite some confusion on the topic but I failed to find a good reference for the definition of side effects - neither the MDD nor the MDR define it, and this make it hard to put into practice myself.
For instance some examples provided in MEDDEV 2.12/1 rev 8 (section 5.1.3.5) leave me wondering about that definition:

In that case the electric shock is part of the intended use, a burn is something to be expected and I wouldn't classify it as a side-effect (but only as a harm). In effect it seems that all harms provoked by a device could be classified as side effect. What do you think?
The intended use of a defibrillator is to restore normal rhythm to the heart, not to give burns. the electric shock is part of the way the device achieves it's intended use, but it's nor desirable to have a burn. So the burn is a side effect.

FoGia

Involved In Discussions
OK so can we then say that side effect is just another wording for Adverse Device Effect?
I would imagine that only a minority of devices would have harms that are intended, such as ablation devices, sawblades, scalpels... etc.

Marcelo

It depends on what you mean by "Adverse Device Effect".

If you mean the EU MEDDEV 2.7/3 revision 3 :

Adverse Event (AE)
Any untoward medical occurrence, unintended disease or injury or any untoward clinical signs (including an abnormal laboratory finding) in subjects, users or other persons whether or not related to the investigational medical device.
NOTE 1: This definition includes events related to the investigational device or the comparator.
NOTE 2: This definition includes events related to the procedures involved.
NOTE 3: For users or other persons, this definition is restricted to events related to investigational medical devices..
Adverse Device Effect (ADE)
Adverse event related to the use of an investigational medical device.
NOTE 1- This includes any adverse event resulting from insufficiencies or inadequacies in the instructions for use, the deployment, the implantation, the installation, the operation, or any malfunction of the investigational medical device.
NOTE 2- This includes any event that is a result of a use error or intentional abnormal use of the investigational medical device.
Yes, a side effect would be an Adverse Device Effect if the device is an investigational medical device (as this MEDDEV is applicable to investigational medical devices).

Please note that, in this case, if the event is also a Serious Adverse Device Effect (SADE), you can exclude the device relationship if:

Not related: relationship to the device or procedures can be excluded when:
  • - the event is not a known side effect of the product category the device
    belongs to or of similar devices and procedures;

FoGia

Involved In Discussions
yes I indeed meant ADE following the definition in ISO 14155 and used in the MEDDEV. Thank you, I learned something today!
Are there guidelines/standards that define side effects?

Marcelo

yes I indeed meant ADE following the definition in ISO 14155 and used in the MEDDEV. Thank you, I learned something today!
Are there guidelines/standards that define side effects?
Not for devices that I remember now. That are some definitions for drugs.

Marcelo

Just another comment, in fact, per the Adverse Device Effect (ADE) examples on the notes above, most (if not all) ADE won't be side effects, because they deal with medical device malfunctions. side effects are not related to device malfunctions, but to adverse patient reactions to a device that is working properly.

iN fact, now that we are discussing it, I think ADEs as defined above are only related to device problems (although the definition does not say that, but the examples do), so it would not include side effects.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Q Addressing poor commitment in people Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
R Addressing training requirements - 21 CFR Part 820.25 (1) & (2) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
P Interesting Discussion Addressing Human Factors in Corrective Action AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 23
JoshuaFroud Addressing wet ink signatures when more than one site is involved 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J IATF 16949 Cl. 7.5.1.1 d - Customer Requirements - How are people addressing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Q Risk (closeout and options for the addressing) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q ISO9001:2015 Cl. 6.1 - What evidences of risk addressing is needed? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A Addressing every clause in ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Sam Lazzara Experiences with Notified Bodies addressing EN ISO 14971:2012 Annex Zs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
D CAPA Follow-up - Format for Addressing the Assessment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Suggestions for addressing Printed Paper Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J AS9100 Rev C Internal Audit Procedure/Plan - Addressing 8.2.2 - Customer Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
F Document Control - Addressing control of content stored on web sites Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
B Addressing Lots that were measured with Out of Tolerance Gage Pins Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Sidney Vianna Public Comments Requested on ISO Standard Addressing Six Sigma - ISO 13053 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
R Addressing Inspection in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 2
S ISO 9001:2008 Addressing the "Notes" in my quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Addressing ISO 9001 Section 7 in the Quality Manual when Design is Excluded Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
K Compliance of Control Plans to Annex A - Addressing Error Proofing FMEA and Control Plans 13
R Addressing Training in ISO 9001:2000 Process Documents Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 21
S Philip Crosby's Cost of Quality - James Harrington's Book Addressing COQ Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 18
R Customer Focus - Level 1 Procedure - Addressing ISO 9001 Clause 5.2 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Design Input - 820.30(c) - Addressing incomplete, ambiguous... requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
W Surveillance report along side an NCR program Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
M IATF 16949 - TS vs IATF side by side IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P Accounting for Variability on High Side of Specification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
Chennaiite FMEA - The Funnier Side Imported Legacy Blogs 5
M Is information required on more than one side of box? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Presentation Invitation on ISO13485 from the Distribution Side ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B ISO 9001 Application to my Business for the Production side of things only ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Pre-Control Chart for Single Side Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
G Permit to Fly - Is flight testing relevant to our production side? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 6
D Soft Side of Internal Auditing Internal Auditing 26
A Is Disposition Applicable if We are in the Service Side of the Industry? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
L ISO 9000 Internal Self Assessment on the Operational Side - Your Comments? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Marc The Value of ISO 9001 Registration and the 'Dark Side' of Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
T Control Plans - Right hand side of the control plan was a flow chart FMEA and Control Plans 3
Marc Hacker Hunters - An elite force takes on the dark side of computing After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
S Side by Side comparison of calibration softwares? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
S Question About Rockwell Verification Blocks - Testing on the back side of the block General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
S Looking for software one side tolerance GD&T Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
R ISO 9001:2000 - Control over the Accounting/Financial Side of Things ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
E Sales and Marketing - How I can get them on my side Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 12
S Consulting on the side - What arrangements did you make with your employer? Consultants and Consulting 7