Adhesive Seepage from Die Cut Parts Edge

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
We use a lot of discrete die cut parts of single coated polyethylene medical tape. They are supplied packed loose in zip lock pouch.
Within days of supply we observe adhesive seepage from the edge of parts and the parts are sticky and therefore not convenient to remove each and use.
Is the convertor missing any process in the manufacturing that will make these parts be crisp and free from any adhesive seepage...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Possibly, but it is more likely that this problem is caused by the particular adhesive selected. Adhesives have many different properties that vary by the type and formulation of adhesive. Processing variables such as thickness of adhesive applied can exacerbate the issue, but the ability of the adhesive to flow is inherent in the type/formulation.

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
Temperature/Climate may also come into play. Adhesives tend to run or expand more in hot temperatures then in cold. I don't know if your facility is climate controlled where it is stored. But I would check with the Supplier as to what the normal storage conditions are for the tape and then possibly adjust accordingly. Sometimes storing adhesive tapes in a cooler environment eliminates the seepage or running of the adhesive. :)

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Possibly, but it is more likely that this problem is caused by the particular adhesive selected. Adhesives have many different properties that vary by the type and formulation of adhesive. Processing variables such as thickness of adhesive applied can exacerbate the issue, but the ability of the adhesive to flow is inherent in the type/formulation.
The reason why I am inclined towards the converter and the process is that with the same material (3M) use, supplies from one converter (USA) never exhibited this, while in the one from the second source (INDIA) it is showing up.
Our storage and plant temperature is maintained within 23'C to 28'C.

try2makeit

As Miner suggested start with the applied thickness of the adhesive between the 3M product and your second source. Technical data sheets should give you some idea.

Not sure if you have done that, but I would also check with the Supplier on their die cutting process. :)

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The reason why I am inclined towards the converter and the process is that with the same material (3M) use, supplies from one converter (USA) never exhibited this, while in the one from the second source (INDIA) it is showing up.
To clarify: You have two suppliers (USA/India) that both use a 3M tape and the only value-add performed by either is to die cut this tape?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
To clarify: You have two suppliers (USA/India) that both use a 3M tape and the only value-add performed by either is to die cut this tape?
Perfect ... They both use the same 3M material (1526)

Not sure if you have done that, but I would also check with the Supplier on their die cutting process.
This is what I am looking for. The correct Technical Process.
Is it just die cut and pack., or is there something after die cut, to make the parts flat and crisp. The parts from USA are like fresh $$ bank notes.

Last edited:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I have seen a few die cutting operations for labels, which I presume would be similar. Typically, the very small margins drive very efficient operations with no secondary ops. I suspect that any difference would be found in the design of the die itself, such as, do any portions of the die other than the cutting surface contact the tape. Are there differences in the geometry of the die cutting surface between suppliers? What are the surface characteristics of the plate the die closes against? What speeds and pressures are involved?

Regarding the laying flat, one supplier may feed the tape through an in-line straightener as part of the die cutting op.

try2makeit

Can you compare processes between the two Suppliers?

One could be die cutting on a Rotary Fabricator, the other on a Punch Press. That would also determine what kind of tooling is being used to cut the parts.

Are both adding a secondary liner to the 3M product? Is that different? Just my :2cents:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Standards for testing of adhesive electrodes for use with TENS machines IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
E Composites - Metal Bond - Removal of excess film adhesive Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Process Controls - Wood Glue Adhesive Failure Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
L Product numbers & sources for ASTM D3359 adhesive tape Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P Uncertainty of Measurements for Adhesive Weights for Peel Testing Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
J Latex Adhesive Labels used in Medical Device Packaging Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
B Is a temperature gauge needed for adhesive requiring storage in a cold environment? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
B Appropriate Standards for Food Packaging Adhesive Manufacture Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 7
somashekar Application of parts with PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) - Is Validation required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Diebond adhesive blowholes seen after thermal curing on chip to plastic bottle mount Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Process Validation - Adhesive Bonding, what to validate and how? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 10
SteveK Autoclavable Adhesive for Medical Grade Polycarbonate ? suggestions? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q PPAP for Materials - Rolls of adhesive tape, rolls of films and sponge material APQP and PPAP 5
D Is a vendor of Class ll (Orthodontic Adhesive) required to be ISO certified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Adhesive Longevity Tests - Glued Silicone used in a Shower to Bond Glass Panels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P Raw materials as bulk materials (polymer, adhesive, etc) for PPAP IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H Medical Device Adhesive with USP class VI, suited for oral 'use' ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Any adhesive needed for PVC and PC natural bond? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Sampling Plan for Alumin High Pressure Die Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M CQI-9 monitoring of temperature in die Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
S IATF 16949 7.1.5.1.1 Measurement System Analysis (MSA - Die casting) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A Aluminum Die Casting Product Traceability Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
kedarg6500 Availability of 5/8" 17.75 TPI Thread Ring Gauge & Die Nut Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Z Stamping Press Die Specification Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Hershal 19 "Hot Shots" Fire Fighters Die fighting Arizona Fire World News 1
V When to Notify Customer about Die Modification APQP and PPAP 4
V Query on TS 16949:2009 Certification for a Tool and Die Sales & Service office IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Inspecting a Profile Tolerance for a Die Cut Gasket Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
F FMEA Optimization for our Die Setup Process FMEA and Control Plans 2
V PPAP 7 of 8 Cavities after an injection mold die repair? APQP and PPAP 7
D FMEA for Laser Cutting of Die Cast parts in AM60B Magnesium FMEA and Control Plans 1
J Causes of Porosity of Die-Castings and How to Improve Die-Casting Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
A Tool and Die Manufacturing Job Progress Tracking Tools / Spread Sheets Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
A Powder Coating Chipping for Aluminum Die Casting Parts Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
T PFMEA of Die casting Process--Help needed? FMEA and Control Plans 5
S "Acceptable" PPM Level for Aluminum Die Casting Benchmarking 3
A Seeking a Die Casting Supplier in China - Guangdong, Zhejiang and Jiangsu Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
A Helical Cooling for Aluminium Die Casting Dies Information wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A Aluminium Die Casting DFMEA example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 6
N In Process Control checksheet for Die Cutting (eg. carton) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J Salt Spray Test on 3 year old Zinc Die Casting Chromed part per ASTM B 117-03 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T How can I streamline a corrugating firm especially in tool and die making Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
L Work Instructions for One Time Tool Build - Tool and Die Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P Variables Gage R&R study for 8 Cavities tool - Die casting industry Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
P Generic Label Die Cutting Process flow Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T Die Cutter for Kevlar Fabric Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
B Electronics Die Component - Military Standard 883 vs. MIL STD 750 TM2010 B. Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S How can I die cut foam - I'm thinking of a simple hand machine? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
A Process or Work Instruction (WI) to Change a Progressive Stamping Die Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
W How can I deterime the load of the DCM? Die cast machine loading Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4