Adjustable Thread Ring Gage Calibration

C

caseright

I send my thread ring gages out to an accredited lab and they are calibrated using a master setting plug. The question that I always have is when the rings come back adjusted . How do I know how much they had to adjust them “since it’s a feel thing” and how do I prove to an auditor that this condition did not effect the products we have been producing with this gage since there is no before and after results? Is there a way to verify the amount they adjusted them?:confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I send my thread ring gages out to an accredited lab and they are calibrated using a master setting plug. The question that I always have is when the rings come back adjusted . How do I know how much they had to adjust them “since it’s a feel thing” and how do I prove to an auditor that this condition did not effect the products we have been producing with this gage since there is no before and after results? Is there a way to verify the amount they adjusted them?:confused:
Any calibration expert who can help?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

K

kixxy

When using master setting plugs all your doing is adjusting them into the correct tolerance band, when calibrating and adjusting them you dont just go for feel its more if the Go enters fairly tight and the no/go does not enter then you have a correct gauge.

As for "how much it was adjusted" you would have to ask them to record that infomation and apply it onto your certifcate.

But if i rember correctly they may have stopped doing Adjustable ring gauges to ISO 17025 due to ovality issues this would have to be cleared up by someone else on the forum who can shed anymor elight on that subject.

Hope this helps

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Can you ask your accredited calibration house to provide you with before and after data?
The last place I worked had a ton of adjustable ring gauges, but I had a guy to handle all the calibration stuff for me so I don't know off the top of my head.
I'm still on good terms so I'll ask him.

K

kgriff

As we use a lot of adjustable thread rings where I work, I have often pondered this question. I am the lead calibration guy, so I am the one doing the adjusting. So far, I have not found a good way to quantify the amount of adjustment made. We have gone to using mostly hilo type set plugs to take out some of the operator "feel" that is required when using truncated set masters. This provides us with more reproduceable results, but still does not address the question of "How far out was it?"
The best I've been able to come up with is to calibrate the hilo master, recording the measured size of both the hi and lo sections. Then, if the ring stops on the lo, for example, I can know how far undersize it was. If it doesn't stop on the hi section I can know that it is at least that amount oversize. Unfortunately, with an adjustable ring, there's no way that I know of to measure the actual pitch and minor diameters.

One thing you need to be aware of, though, is that if you change vendors, most, if not all, of your adjustable rings will have to be reset because the new vendor will be using different set masters of slightly different size than the old vendor. I would recommend finding a vendor that has one of two things; 1. A very experienced thread ring guy or 2. Uses only hilo set masters. Without a very experienced thread guy (i.e. one that has been doing it for many years and does very little else) your chances of getting reproduceable calibration and resetting results are pretty slim.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CalRich Measurement Uncertainty for Adjustable Thread Rings but No Budget Made Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
drgnrider Bore Gage and Adjustable Set Master General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Adjustable Shaft for a Test Fixture to Test Perpendicularity Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
T Part 880.5100 AC-powered adjustable Hospital Bed - Applied Parts Marking or Labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Adjustable c-type gauges and calibration - Small job shop General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Zero_yield Thread Necromancy Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
CaliperJim Double Ended Thread Plug Gauge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
R Calibrating Solid Thread Rings with HILO master General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Calibration of Thread Gages with Metric Standards with Conversion to Imperial Units General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G G11 5/8" Thread Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
Miner Reported content: Post in thread 'Form of real time study for establish shelf time' Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
N Validation of special processes - thread closed Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
D Accurately measuring Full Thread Length Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing Processes Thread Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
C Aluminum galling on thread plug gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
ScottK Measuring thread flank angle on a screw Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
H Thread Plug Gauge Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Cost effective thread gaging with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
APHX02 Thread Roll Process Verification w/in AS9100 (i.e. BSP-F-69/AS8879) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
M NPT thread gauging and the "rapping" process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Marc Basic - How to Start a New Discussion Thread Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
S What the difference is between Stub Acme & Acme thread? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
Marc Printable Discussion Thread View Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
S Thread Ring Gauge verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
O Thread Diameter as a Datum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
O ISO 9001:2015 Transition Internal Audit completion thread ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Thread plug chip groove - Thread plugs without the chip groove General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Unique ID Required for Thread Gage Replacements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Calibration of Thread Plugs and Ring Gages - Various Thread Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Thread recommendation for Cast Iron part Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Thread callout - M22 x 1.0-6H 0.100R Thread Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
4 In-House Thread Wire Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Manufacturing Thread Ring Gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
E External Thread Cosmetic/Appearance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Thread Gage Training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
C Measuring Solid Thread Ring Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
P Best Method of Cleaning of Thread Ring Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
G Sequence and Frequency of Calibration for Thread Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Product Impact When Thread Rings Require Adjustment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
kedarg6500 How to calculate Thread Pitch Diameter for non standard TPI like 5/8" 17.75 NF3 Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I How to determine the thread wire size needed - Buttress Thread Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Roll Form Thread Standard Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Thread Gage Longevity Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
kedarg6500 Availability of 5/8" 17.75 TPI Thread Ring Gauge & Die Nut Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
N Formula that will calculate the NoGo Major Diameter of an M20 x 1.5 6H Thread gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3