Adjusted Control Limits - Usage of Control Charts

G

Ghemzie

Hi SPC experts!

I have problem with the usage of control charts, control limits seems to strict. Is there a way, computation or factor that can be added to adjust the control limits? Sometimes it seems action is not necessary on the detection of outside points in control limits specially if there is no specification requirement.

Hope to hear any idea.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

harry

Super Moderator
Re: Adjusted Control Limits

Discussions of this nature can be made much easier if there is a set of common data. If you do, please attached it here - our regular Covers can quickly go through and then give you relevant advice.

Last edited:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hi SPC experts!

I have problem with the usage of control charts, control limits seems to strict. Is there a way, computation or factor that can be added to adjust the control limits? Sometimes it seems action is not necessary on the detection of outside points in control limits specially if there is no specification requirement.

Hope to hear any idea.

Thanks
What's the process? What type of chart? What type of sampling/subgroups? You could be working with something other than a normal distribution, which cause the type of thing you're seeing.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
In addition to the previous comments, I have seen this caused by improper sub-grouping and inadequate gage resolution.

G

Ghemzie

We used to monitor the frequency characteristics of a certain electronics part by Xbar R charts, there is no specification requirements for this, but the control chart shows some points out of the control limits.

We thought that since there is no specification given, then actions is not necessary. But we need to stablish some sort of limit that will trigger us for an action, not too strict as that of control limits.

We're thinking of adding let say 2standev from the control limit as "trigger" limit, or is there any possible way?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The gage resolution appears to be fine. This is probably a sub-grouping issue, so I have a few questions:

1. What was the basis for choosing a sub-group size of 10? The control limits are tighter than those for a sub-group of 5.
  2. What do these 10 parts represent in the process? When the range of the subgroups consists entirely of measurement variation, and there is virtually zero product variation in the subgroup, the control limits will be too tight for the process. Your distribution of averages appears to be random variation with no apparent special causes.
  3. What was the sub-group sampling frequency? What can change on a regular basis in the process between subgroups.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
The gage resolution appears to be fine. This is probably a sub-grouping issue, so I have a few questions:

1. What was the basis for choosing a sub-group size of 10? The control limits are tighter than those for a sub-group of 5.
  2. What do these 10 parts represent in the process? When the range of the subgroups consists entirely of measurement variation, and there is virtually zero product variation in the subgroup, the control limits will be too tight for the process. Your distribution of averages appears to be random variation with no apparent special causes.
  3. What was the sub-group sampling frequency? What can change on a regular basis in the process between subgroups.
The charts have the familiar look of ex post facto data.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
  1. What do these 10 parts represent in the process? When the range of the subgroups consists entirely of measurement variation, and there is virtually zero product variation in the subgroup, the control limits will be too tight for the process. Your distribution of averages appears to be random variation with no apparent special causes.
Good point, this looks suspiciously similar to the error one gets on web processes when they calculate the range across the web rather than along the web (not that it is what they are measuring - just a similar effect)

G

Ghemzie

Thank you for all your responses.
Sorry but i can not get a clear answer to my question. Is there a way to adjust the control limit or any assumptions that can be applied to loosen the control limit?

Let say for example i have calculated UCL of 40.5 and std dev of 0.3, to adjust the limit i will add 40.5 + 3*0.3 to have 41.4 new limits.

:(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ahang "DIRECT MODE" or "ADJUSTED MODE" according to ISO 80601-2-56 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
C PFMEA RPN - Feedback regarding adjusted RPN FMEA and Control Plans 3
P Acceptable Adjusted R Squared Value Comparing 2 Measurement Devices in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
M What is the indication of "adjusted scale correction" to calibration of liq thermom.? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Does 4.5 - Alternative RISK CONTROL apply to the Particular Standards? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
H Control of Change i.e. process and WI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Sonja D AIAG VDA PFMEA and Control Plan training FMEA and Control Plans 6
F Quality Control in Electrical Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
Z Why Control Limits are not the same depending on type of exclusion of data points Using Minitab Software 7
D Engineering Change order vs. Change Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Computer access, password control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A How to control distribution list? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A Control plan for IATF - example? FMEA and Control Plans 1
J ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.5.1 Control of Production and service provision - Help with Work Instruction Access ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
A Final quality control corrective actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Training on the importance of Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G How to implement H&S and Quality Control Requirements in Contract for Potential Supplier? Contract Review Process 6
D GAMP CAT 5 Change Control Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
D Use Error Risk Controls and Control Verification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
S Maintenence related action in Control plan FMEA and Control Plans 3
M ISO 13485 and document control for programs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Control Methods in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 5
M Design Control - Management of Electronic CAD files Design and Development of Products and Processes 14
S TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) PIP 3:1 RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
S Use of Attributes Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
U Appraiser Out of Control Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Z Software for design control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Quality Control/Assurance in the Metal Industry Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
K Defining risk control measures IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 14
J Warehouse temperature and humidity control EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Jimmy123 IATF16949 Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
D Control Number for Class III and IV devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
J Document Control Metrics Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C UDI Questions on Control Units Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
A Quality Control Datasheets Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Control-self assessment Internal Auditing 5
GreatNate Master Control QMS software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
A Prototype control plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
shimonv Document Control Procedure Header Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
W FMEA - Current control and occurrence rating FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Which department should prepare the control plan? could you show me a standard regarding to this matter. FMEA and Control Plans 17
G Control Plan & PFMEA Review Procedure? FMEA and Control Plans 8
N What are the software audit and control steps Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2