Adjusting Calibration Intervals for Welding related Gages

A

AimzF

I've got some questions re: calibration intervals, in part because our last Nadcap auditor advised us that we didn't need to have our radius gauges, fillet weld gauges or go/no-go pin gauges calibrated annually, that we could go a longer interval (when we asked for details he said we could hire him as a consultant, but then he couldn't audit us in the future? ;) ).

I've looked in both the AWS D17.1 inspection section, AWS B1.11M on visual inspection of welds, and both choose not to define recommended/required intervals (and neither does Nadcap AC7004 AQS). Our customer's supplier quality manual requires that we have a calibration plan and 'regular calibration intervals.'

We're a 2-person Nadcap welding job shop. About 85% of our work is AWS D17.1 class C welding work that requires alignment of 2 holes to clear a 0.190 diameter bolt (thus the go/no-go gauges) with a square groove weld that's a glorified tack weld. The rest of the work is 1G and 1F class B & C welds, maybe 1-3 times a month (qtys are usually 50-500 parts). I'm the only person inspecting parts, and I try to take very good care of all of our inspection equipment.

We've been blindly getting everything calibrated annually, out of a generalized fear of auditors. At the same time, we're up for 2-year merit, and we've had zero non-conforming product in 10+ years from our customer. Should/can we extend our calibration intervals? I've seen a few posts about risk management etc, just would like to hear opinions on if/how we should word our procedures to reflect this.

Thanks for your time,

-Amy

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

Your auditor correctly stated that he wouldn't be able to audit you if he gave you "details" (that is, specific advice for your processes) he would not be able to come back and audit you. But rather than pay him out the wazoo for said details, I am happy you came here.

What he was referring to is the fact that your gages would likely be undergoing a minimum of wear from use, your tolerances are probably not very tight and that there is no adjustment involved. Therefore, the cost of calibration (most of us would call it verification, but I've seen the terms used interchangeably) at a one-year interval would very possibly soon exceed the cost of buying new...

I wonder: what documentation, if any, comes with the gages to provide confidence in their accuracy? I once had a tape measure that was seriously off. Really. I wish I'd kept it.

I had a client with the same issue as you, faithfully sending out a steel rule yearly; the thing was like an I-beam, so I told him what your auditor told you (minus the bit about being hired as a consultant). The thermal expansion coefficient won't apply to gages like these, so your frequency, when not called out by customer or relevant specification, can be set up based on risk considerations, including:

• The amount of use
  • The handling during use
  • The storage when not in use
  • The tolerances
  • The cost of getting it wrong
I hope this helps!

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
As Jennifer said, with particular attention to "the cost of getting it wrong", which really governs the other factors. I have 'validated' our radius gauges with our Faro Arm, so we 'calibrate' them on an extended schedule, but it is done in house. Because I am pretty much the only one using them, they are on a "5 year or GUD" schedule (Good Unless Damaged).

A

AimzF

Jen:
Thanks for the warm welcome to the cove, and the confirmation that we're likely spending more than we have to given the risk. Even if new equipment comes with certs we feel better if we get it calibrated initially, in case it was off in shipment/storage prior to shipping/etc. We should document the extension and have "management" list justifications for the risks you cited, correct?

hogheavenfarm:
I've browsed through the forums and seen enough that it's not likely cost-effective for us given our size to calibrate in-house (I looked up a Faro Arm and just about did a spit take on ebay pricing :lol:), but thanks for concurring. I get why there's flexibility involved, but especially when audit failure means no work for 6 months, I get a little squirrely when it comes to flexibility.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Jen:
Thanks for the warm welcome to the cove, and the confirmation that we're likely spending more than we have to given the risk. Even if new equipment comes with certs we feel better if we get it calibrated initially, in case it was off in shipment/storage prior to shipping/etc. We should document the extension and have "management" list justifications for the risks you cited, correct?
My guess is you have some record for each gage calibration, yes? What are you using?

Also, what tolerances are you keeping to for these measurements?

What make and model are they?

Some people make a table to include all their instruments, and set out tolerances, frequency, etc. in there for the purposes of evaluating impact if the instrument comes back out-of-tolerance at time of calibration. Anyway, this table could have a Notes section that can include justification of extending calibration frequency. Software such as Gage Trak (I am not affiliated) can do this too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Adjusting Digital and /or Vernier Calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Adjusting Tolerances because of available tooling? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
H Does internal ppm include defects produced while adjusting the machine? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 22
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Calibration of InfraRan Vapor Analyzer - where to get calibration for SF6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M How to read a calibration certificate for thermo hygrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Calibration Frequency for Surftest SJ-400 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
V Ammeter calibration - Measuring head (on pic.) problem General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F How many signatures do we need on calibration certificates? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
V Calibration certificate verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
F Online courses - Metrology, standardization, calibration and ISO 17025 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
A Calibration Certificate Results General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
G Third party auditor mentions no grace period for calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 22
E Calibration Certificate Content Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Casana IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - On Site Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Nicole Desouza AS9100D - Calibration of Dies & Tooling - Plastic Extrusion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I What kind of information needs to be in a calibration record? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
C Micrometer and Vernier Caliper simple calibration process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8