Adobe Acrobat Problems

B

Bob_M

Adobe Acrobat Users (or other PDF makers) Please Read/Comment

OK have a "copy" of Acrobat 4.05 which pre-dates the offical release of Office2000 and Windows2000 (so they don't work perfectly together). I'm currently experimenting with it at work and home before attempting to budget the purchase of the current version (6?).

How easily are those using acrobat able to scan and retain paper records into pdf files? Version 4.05 and NT4.0 are not very quick or easy to use.

We probably will be upgrading work stations to Win2000 Pro and Acrobat 6 if things work out.

Other than making controlled docs into PDFs I want to be able to quickly and easily:

1)Scan paper records (ie inspection or finanical document)
2)Create PDF file per part, package or project
3)Attach mutliple documents/scans (each new records would be attached to the master record for an inspection file - one per part number).
4)and bookmark each document.

I KNOW acrobat can do all of that but how quick easy is it with the newest versions?

Any other tips or drawbacks from current users are also appreciated...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Hi Bob,

I can tell you that with Office 97 and Acrobat 4.0 on a WIN98SE, they work pretty well together. In fact, conversion is just the click of a button.

Don't know much about the versions you are working with.

CarolX

Ghosts

Bob,
We use a program called Ghostview with Ghostscript in concert with a Windows installation of a printer that you will never use in reality. End result: printing anything to this printer via the windows print interface generates a PDF file. If you are interested, PM me with your email and I'll dig out all of the installation stuff.

J

Jimmy Olson

Bob,

I am currently running Windows 2000, Office 2000, and Acrobat 6 and everything works great. I'm able to convert pretty much anything to PDF. So as far as the quick and easy aspect, it definately meets that. I've only been using Acrobat 6 for a little bit and haven't noticed anything bad about it so far.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Re: Ghosts

Icy Mountain said:
Bob,
We use a program called Ghostview with Ghostscript in concert with a Windows installation of a printer that you will never use in reality. End result: printing anything to this printer via the windows print interface generates a PDF file. If you are interested, PM me with your email and I'll dig out all of the installation stuff.
Mac OSX has a 'print as PDF file' option built in every Print dialog box - it's part of the OS, so I can't help. Sorry.

B

Bob_M

Richard or anyone else using Acrobat6,
Can you import pictures directly from you scanner into acrobat?
This is the feature I'm most curious about.
I fully expect Acrobat6, Office2000, and Win2000 to functions properly with each other, but I'm not sure if Acrobat6 has an "acquire" function similar to most modern programs (assuming you have a scanner installed).

R

Randy Stewart

Bob,
We've been using this for a couple years now and have had no problems. You can take digital pictures to PDF, scanned pictures (gif, bmp) to PDF and scanned docs to PDF.
Along with the electronic signatures, it's a very easy way to control docs, especially if your BES uses software like Cognos for reports.
I would highly recommend it. The Acrobat Distiller (converter) will come up in your printer selection from the Windows File:print selection. So all you do is select it like you would a printer.
Attached is an example of a scanned item.

Attachments

N

noboxwine

Richard Olson said:
Bob,

I am currently running Windows 2000, Office 2000, and Acrobat 6 and everything works great. I'm able to convert pretty much anything to PDF. So as far as the quick and easy aspect, it definately meets that. I've only been using Acrobat 6 for a little bit and haven't noticed anything bad about it so far.
Ditto. Works fast and very well ! Have a day ! :thedeal:

B

Bob_M

Randy Stewart said:
Bob,
We've been using this for a couple years now and have had no problems. You can take digital pictures to PDF, scanned pictures (gif, bmp) to PDF and scanned docs to PDF.
Along with the electronic signatures, it's a very easy way to control docs, especially if your BES uses software like Cognos for reports.
I would highly recommend it. The Acrobat Distiller (converter) will come up in your printer selection from the Windows File:print selection. So all you do is select it like you would a printer.
Attached is an example of a scanned item.
Thanks for the info.

I know you can easily convert an existing image that has already been saved to a file, BUT can you use ACROBAT to acquire an image directly from a scanner skipping the extra step of saving the scan to a (non-pdf) file first?

I am HOPING acrobat can acquire pictures DIRECTLY from a scanner and instantly convert them to a PDF. If it can't I could live with the extra step, but was hoping I wouldn't have to...

R

Randy Stewart

I don't see how it would work Bob. Do you want it to run the scanner? I don't have one attached to my computer so I can't try and don't see anything in the Help document. have you checked their web site?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Re-numbering or editing Dynamic Stamps in Adobe Acrobat Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
JAMESH Adobe Acrobat-Pro Unflattened Markups not printing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
W Red Ballooning Stamp for Adobe Acrobat Files Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
V Option for adding date-time to the copies printed from Adobe Acrobat (pdf) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
J 21 CFR Part 11 - Securing Electronic signatures using Adobe Acrobat Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Q Experience with Adobe Sign Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Is Adobe Sign - E-signature for QMS documents - 21 cfr part 11 compliant? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S How much do trainers charge typically for an Adobe Connect / WebEx based training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
Marc Adobe Warns of Critical Flash Bug, Already Being Exploited After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc Adobe's PDF Format Is Now ISO 32000 DIS Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Gert Sorensen Software Validating Adobe Professional according to Part 11? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 10
T FDA CFR 21 / 11 - Keep the records we scan in using Adobe? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
WALLACE Is anyone using Adobe photoshop 7? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
J Help with Acrobat Pro....Can I flatten documents? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Frank T. Mil Specs (US Military Specifications) ..... FREE in .pdf Acrobat format Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
Manix Using Acrobat Ver 5 when you have Reader Ver 8 Installed! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Feedback of typical maintenance problems with LMI digital probes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S New problems exporting to Germany - February 2019 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Resource allocation problems in Software DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Tapping problems - 3/8" hot roll pickled & oiled steel - seeking expertise Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Marc Problems - Contacting Us about Problems (How To - Etc.) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc Youtube - Viewing problems Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 4
O How do reduce the risk of suppliers having similar problems? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
L Problems while documenting the SOUPs used for the software we are developing IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
W Problems with our new Auditor (a Ph.D. with four months experience) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
L Relying on Suppliers - Most Quality and Warranty problems are caused by Suppliers Supply Chain Security Management Systems 5
M The biggest gaps and problems in QMS or Quality in Automotive Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
I Request an FDA GUDID Account - Problems Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S Document Review Problems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L How to avoid Nonconformance Reoccurrence problems IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
C Software Process Implementation Problems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Bottle Labeling Machine Problems - Non conformance in FCMG industry Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
T Contacting the Supplier's CB vs a Supplier Audit - Nonconformance Problems AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Peter Fraser Problems and Deficiencies with the ISO 9001:2015 Draft ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
B Quality problems that cost Millions of dollars (or euros, or pounds, etc.) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
AnaMariaVR2 How Open Innovation is Solving Some of NASA?s Trickiest Problems World News 0
T A survey on problems during ISMS implementation - need help IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
S Common Electric Fan Motor Problems Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
M Problems with Competence/Skills Matrix (6.2 Human Resources) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
ScottK Is anyone else having problems uploading Proprietary Names into the DRLM? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
M FDA Warning Letter - Product Association with Search Engine Results - Problems Ahead? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
M Problems with Unrealistic Customer Expectations Customer Complaints 12
AnaMariaVR2 Chronic Regulatory Compliance Issues Causing Drug Shortages & Safety Problems Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Q Method on how to cause people to solve problems Benchmarking 5
Oldrice Aerospace Registrar Problems - Starting Over? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
M 8.2.4 Problems with Monitoring and Measurement of Product AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Problems with Supplier - Always with 100% Sorting - No Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
G Product Returns are above average for Labeling Problems Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Supplier's First Run had Plating Problems - Can they Strip, Re-Plate and PPAP them? APQP and PPAP 14