Advantages of EtQ (Excellence Through Quality) vs. MS Word .doc and Excel .xls

S

Shannon

Does anyone have any experience with EtQ software used for Document Control? I currently use MS Word & Excel, and am investigating the pros and cons of transitioning to using EtQ.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Excuse me for my ignorance, but I have never used the software.

-Have you purchased it yet?
-Does it include electronic routing through an intranet?
-Is it just a holding place for documents that are generated through other software packages?
-Can it control external documents?
-What is the cost?
-What is the status of your internal network?
-Do you have a dedicated document control person? (usually MR)
-Does it have read only or touch screen capabilities.

I ask these things because a smaller company can use simple MS programs (or PDF) to document their quality systems where larger companies might need a more robust "personal" type of database or program developed.

ASD...

S

Shannon

We have already purchased the software, and some of our plants are using it. We are aware of some of the pros/cons, but we don't have much experience with it. I'm trying to supplement these learnings with learnings from others outside our Company.
I'm unsure of the actual cost, but I can tell you that it wasn't cheap.
EtQ is a Lotus Notes Based software, and can route documents through our intranet. Similar to attaching a document to an e-mail.
We can create documents within EtQ, or import documents previously created in Word or Excel.
We do have a dedicated document control person, me. But my responsibilities are not limited to just document control. Therefore, managing our document control system needs to be quick and easy.
It does have read only capabilities, but not touch screen.
We have approx 450 controlled documents, excluding externals. We employ approx 120 associates.
I guess what would be helpful, would be to understand the risks of using MS word and Excel for document control, and what have people done to reduce those risks. I can then compare this against the risks of using EtQ.

S

Shannon

Let me start with a specific concern that I need to address. I need to show how my operation approves a document. This can be done with a signature ofthe approving party. I understand that electronic signatures are acceptable. My question is how do I obtain and record electronic signatures? Are there any other accetable options to show that I have approval?

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
We use 'electronic' approval for Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) and Deviations. We however have no special program, just route the approval form with the associated documents and use 'approve / reject' buttons on e-mail options (we use Microsoft Outlook). One person is responsible to collect the responses (others have access if needed) then distribute 'approved documents or document rejection' notifications.

As long as you have a verified back-up system to your electronic files, you should be safe.

Best Regards, Eileen

Q

QEgirl

My company uses EtQ for many applications, such as doc control, engineering changes, product deviations, meeting scheduling, APQP, FMEA, and purchasing requisitions. For doc control, approval is handled by requiring an electronic "accept/reject" by each person in the required approval list, which is linked through Lotus Notes. So far, EtQ has been a great time-saver for us, and our documentation is much more consistent than it was with a paper system.

paultyler

Involved In Discussions
Re: Advantages of EtQ vs. MS Word .doc and Excel .xls

I have used EtQ in the past. Pretty good program with various modules. Cons- developing checklist for internal audits in the system was time-consuming, however a one time development process. Also the training module was not very user friendly. Once again a lot of set up time.

C

CliffK

I'm not a fan of EtQ, for document control or anything else.

Too much configuration work to get it right and not user friendly. If Amazon.com gave a user experience like EtQ, they would be out of business.

C

CliffK

Cliff,

What would you suggests as an alternative?

Paul
Paul,

It depends on the needs of the organization.

If they have, and really want to use, Lotus Notes, a decent Notes application developer should be able to pull a simple and usable system together in less than 40 hours.

Also, schemes using dedicated directories with appropriate permissions work pretty well, especially if you use sensible file names--just make the title of the document the file name. Include the rev level so someone can verify that they have the right level document just from looking it the directory listing and you're pretty much there.

As far as evidence of approval, you can send it around by email if you have lots of approvers. If you have just one, the old signed master copy works well.

The time saving is not in the software. The time saving lies in designing a lean process flow. Put the onus on the authors to do the background work so that approval goes smoothly.

Also for the parent poster, I would be concerned about the volume of controlled documents. The number cited (>400) seems like an awful lot for an organization of about 120 people.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B ISO 13485 certification advantages when I certify a Class 2a medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
A Cosmetic Visual Inspection Specification Advantages Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
B What Advantages Continuous Processing of Tablets Can Offer Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
V Advantages of Training Employees about Health and Safety at the Workplace Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 19
T The 'CQI' as a Professional Qualification - advantages? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
F What are the Advantages of a Digital Caliper Compared with a Dial Caliper? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
optomist1 Differences and Advantages of using a Zero Positional Tolerance at MMC Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
G Can anyone outline the advantages to an organisation - ISO 9001 Benefits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Advantages of IEC 60601-1 over IEC 61010 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K What are the Advantages of ISO 9001 for Staff Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 27
V Advantages of ISO 13485 or 9001 Certification for FDA Approved and Regulated site ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Bridge vs. Portable CMM - Advantages and Disadvantages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
H Advantages and Disadvantages (costs) of Process FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 9
S OHSAS 18001 for Telecom - What are the advantages? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 11
J Lean Six Sigma - Advantages and disadvantages Six Sigma 3
M Are there Advantages to Forward Scheduling? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
U What are the Advantages and Benefits of Independent Testing of Software? Software Quality Assurance 5
T Standardised audit programme, advantages and disadvantages General Auditing Discussions 5
F Advantages of a designated Internal Audit team? General Auditing Discussions 7
B Advantages of Single Person Incorporation - Any advantages? Consultants and Consulting 4
apestate Size of QMS / Size of company - What advantages do small, simple organizations have? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K PFMEA & Control Plan Software - Advantages over Excel? Suggestions? Recommendations? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
Marc RAB vs. IRCA Certifications - Advantages and disadvantages of Lead Auditor status ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
K QMS Software - EtQ vs Trackwise Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
B ETQ Quality & Compliance Software - Opinions or Reviews wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 35
R SAP / EtQ Documentation Systems Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
L OpEx (Operational Excellence) Documents in QMS? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
Sidney Vianna New ISO/TC 312 - Excellence in Service ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
L Roadmap to implement Business Excellence by department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
I Quality and Operational Excellence Training Institutes in Europe Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
H From Quality to Business Excellence: A Systems Approach to Management The Reading Room 3
P Cross Site Benchmarking of levels of business excellence Benchmarking 3
B ISO 9001 Compliance or Excellence: How is Quality best achieved ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F ISO 9001, Balanced Scorecard and the EFQM Excellence Model Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
R Definition Business Process Excellence - Definition (What is it?) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
kedarg6500 Business Excellence Audit and ISO Audit - Differences General Auditing Discussions 2
S I need help in developing a Center of Excellence Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S Operational Excellence Assessment of multiple sites - Seeking examples Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
BradM Center of excellence-Disneyland Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
Marc What are TL9000 and QuEST (Quality Excellence for Suppliers of Telecommunications)? TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 0
K Soc. of Manuf. Engineers (SME)/Assoc. for Manuf. Excellence (AME) Lean Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Stijloor ASQ Team Excellence Award Process - Is your Team world class? Honor your Team! ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
kedarg6500 "Cultural compatibility" EFQM excellence model Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
R Supplier Excellence Alliance (SEA) - What is the SEA? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
Marc In Search of Excellence - Based on Falsified Data? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 12
Q Various Excellence Models, Awards and ISO 9000 - Seeking Cultural Comparisons Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
S Quality Excellence & End User Satisfaction presentation - Telecommunication services Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Sidney Vianna Towards sustainable success <=> Business Excellence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Singapore - Public Toilet Excellence Immigration and Expatriate Topics 10