Adverse Event Reported during Non-Approved Indication Use

iVivien

Starting to get Involved
One of our clients is using a device he purchased to us to perform a clinical trial outside our CE mark indications. He is the sponsor and the investigator, we are not involved in his activity at all.

However he has reported us an adverse event (no SAE). This event is not related to the indication under trial (it already occured with the cleared indications and is part of our risk analysis) but rather to the (abnormal) use of the device.

Do we have to treat the event as part of our NC and vigilance processes ?

Thank you for your help,

Vivien

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Do we have to treat the event as part of our NC and vigilance processes ?
Sounds to me that you do.

By the way, "abnormal use" usually means in this context that someone has willfully used it against the IFU (not a use error). Are you saying that the AE occurred because the device was used for a cleared indication, but not in the way you (the manufacturer) instructed, and in spite of clear warnings / other measures taken to prevent such use?

iVivien

Starting to get Involved
Thank you Ronen for your reply.

Well concerning the abnormal use, I've put it between brackets because the user has willfully disabled all the features we provide to avoid such event. Then he failed to detect the issue on time and act accordingly (what the features would have done). I guess I cannot state this is a real abnormal use since we allow disabling these features, even if we strictly advise their use in our IFU. The leading event is not a SAE anyway.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Thank you Ronen for your reply.

Well concerning the abnormal use, I've put it between brackets because the user has willfully disabled all the features we provide to avoid such event. Then he failed to detect the issue on time and act accordingly (what the features would have done). I guess I cannot state this is a real abnormal use since we allow disabling these features, even if we strictly advise their use in our IFU. The leading event is not a SAE anyway.
Just to clarify, according to my best judgement (which may be wrong), if the manufacturer provides reasonably accessible means of disabling some protective measures, and the user does so, it's not an Abnormal Use (as defined by IEC 62366) even if some printed warnings against such actions are provided.

Abnormal Use is a situation where intentional misuse occurs after all reasonable means for preventing it have been depleted by the manufacturer. Obviously this is not the case in this example, because the manufacturer could have refrained from providing the means to disable the protective measures.

iVivien

Starting to get Involved
I definitely get your point and further arguing here if it's an abnormal use or not would lead us to far from the original topic :)

Thank you for your time!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ed Panek Adverse Event Clinical Trial using a 510K approved Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
A Recall/Adverse event report procedures in Kuwait/Qatar/Kenya Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
L Adverse Event Reporting New Zealand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
M Informational New Zealand – Changes to Medical Device Adverse Event Reporting process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational IMDRF proposed document – IMDRF terminologies for categorized Adverse Event Reporting (AER): terms, terminology structure and codes (Edition 4) – Anne Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Adverse Event and Serious Adverse Event Reporting - Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
J Japan AE (Adverse Event) Reporting Requirements Japan Medical Device Regulations 5
A Accessing Medical Device Adverse Event databases in EU CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
R Reporting Times & Requirements for when an Adverse Event has occurred (Japan) Japan Medical Device Regulations 3
S AHWP Guidance on Adverse Event Reporting for Comments Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Major Revision to FDA Adverse Event Reporting Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Singapore - Revised Adverse Event reporting and FSCA Reporting Guidance Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J Adverse Event Reporting Flowchart (US) - feedback appreciated! Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
J Adverse Event Reporting Flowchart (EU) - feedback appreciated! EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Flowchart for Canadian Adverse Event Reporting - feedback appreciated! Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
B Looking for Adverse Event guidance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
V Where do I find Adverse Event Database for Medical Devices? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
bio_subbu GHTF issues guidance on Adverse Event Data Reporting Standard Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
N New MEDDEV 2.7/3 Guideline: Clinical Investigations: Serious Adverse Event Reporting EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E Taiwan Medical Device Adverse Event Reporting Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
D Criteria for Reportable Event vs. Adverse Event in Device Studies US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
C Adverse Event Reporting in Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 8
bio_subbu OIG Reports on Medical Device Adverse Event Reporting system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
M CER Adverse events - Justification of databases searched EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational US FDA paper – Epidemiological Evidence on the Adverse Health Effects Reports in Relation to Mercury from Dental Amalgam: Systematic Literature Review Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T MDR Adverse Events Assessments - What qualifications are required? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
A Japan's Requirements for Reporting Medical Device Adverse Events Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Q U.S. Agents - Responsibility for reporting adverse events to the FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
I Where to submit Adverse Events Reports in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N Reason for determining no adverse effect on reworked product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S FDA terms - Adverse Events, Medical Device Reporting, MAUDE and Customer Complaints US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Q Documenting the Review of Adverse Effects from Rework ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Adverse Events and Product Recalls - Example forms and procedures wanted 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Control of "manufacturing material" that has adverse effect on the medical device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
P Adverse Effects caused by Manufacturing Material of Medical Devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Subtleties of Adverse Events - How should it be captured and handled in the trial? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Q Supplier Audit Nonconformance: What if they adverse its certified QMS? General Auditing Discussions 12
M When to file MDR - Significant Adverse Device Experience 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Evaluating adverse effect on device tested with out of tolerance instrument General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Should I be notifying the FDA of adverse effects (per 21 CFR 803)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Reportable Event for a Medical Device? Opinions welcomed. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Informational ANVISA – Aberta inscrição para evento sobre dispositivos médicos (ANVISA medical devices day event) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A EC declaration of conformity - In the event clients ask for a copy CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
M Informational Update from GOV.UK – Regulating medical devices in the event of a no-deal Brexit – UK Responsible Person Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational UK – Regulating medical devices in the event of a no deal scenario Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C EPA NPDES VISUAL ASSESSMENT - No Significant Storm Event ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 0
Stijloor IATF 16949 Stakeholder Event Presentations - London, UK - 7 March 2018 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
B Kaizen Event - Which tools to use? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8