Advertising medical devices in the U.S - Advertising regulations or guidance documents

Hi everyone,

Can I ask please if there are any advertising regulations or guidance documents for advertising medical devices in the U.S? or for advertising for health care professionals?

Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Just to piggy back here... I am trying to find guidance on whether or not a manufacturer can promote for a specific surgical approach (e.g., minimally invasive) for an implant if the approved labeling makes a general statement to the effect of "techniques for implanting the device are at the discretion of the surgeon correlating to their training ....." I am of the opinion the manufacturer of record would be required to update their design file to include evidence the instruments and implants can be be used as intended through a smaller incision. However, I am struggling with finding clear guidance on this, or a warning letter example to share. I have already reviewed the relevant guidance documents listed in the link Ronen provided above, and the guidance Medical Product Communications That Are Consistent With the FDA-Required Labeling-Questions and Answers uses the same logic I have been using in my reasoning, but it would be great if I could find more concrete examples. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C New decree in France: Authorization required prior advertising Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Labels, labeling, and advertising components for medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Labeling and advertising - Advertising claims made by Distributors - Medical devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
N Medical Device claims that I make in my promotional/advertising materials Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
K Advertising as MDEL (Medical Device Establishment Licensed) Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
J Advertising a Medical Device before 510K Submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
T Advertising a Class II Medical Device pending 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
M Informational TGA – Advertising health products: Rules about safety claims in advertising Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Control of Promotional/Advertising Materials Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
Ajit Basrur Credit Suisse - Advertising Client Campaign Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
K Process List for Advertising, Promotion & Brand Mgt Department of a Telecom Company Service Industry Specific Topics 2
A FDA - Labeling and Advertising Regulations Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
T ISO 9001 for Advertising and Marketing Agencies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Thompson FDA Advertising and Promotion Manual Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Ajit Basrur FDA issues Warning Letters for misleading advertising of Lap-Band US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
C Received 510K Market Approval - Use in Advertising US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
W What can/cannot be placed on packaging/advertising relating to ISO/TS? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
Q Advertising Brochures and Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Jim Wynne Vintage TV Cigarette Advertising Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Le Chiffre Using the phrase "Approved by FDA" in Marketing and Advertising Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
B Reporting 24/7/365 Reliability Data - MTBF Data for Customer Advertising Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
E Advertising ISO 9001 Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
ScottK weatherchannel.com advertising has crossed the line... After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
T Advertising your QMS registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Hershal Star Trek 2.0 that the cable channel Q4 is advertising Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
I Songs Used in Advertising That Are Just Plain Wrong!! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
M Advertising - Trucks with ISO9002, TS16949, ISO14001, & QS9000 written on them IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T QS9000 and use in packaging/advertising QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
M Medical Devices Shelf Life ---INDIA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
O ANATEL certification of Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
JoCam Warranty of Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Legal Manufacturer Medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R Obsolesce medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
L Medical-grade power adapter labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
dgrainger Informational UK - Medicines and Medical Devices Bill 2019-21 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Legal Manufacturer of a medical device Vs Legal Manufacturer of MDSW EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Call it refurbish or not? Medical Devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Registering Medical Devices in Australia and New Zealand - ANZTPA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Loaded spring device - Active medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K China Medical Device Labeling requirements - Language China Medical Device Regulations 3
S Requirements for "Claims Guide" for medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
F Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Technical File Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Sample Agreement available for Outsourcing Medical Device Design activity? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
dgrainger Informational EU medical device website change from 'Growth' to 'Health and Food Safety' (6/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1