Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Advice on Device classification under MDD Annex IX.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
MDD experts... please help me to classify these medical devices.
Orthopedic implantable devices : Is it class 2b or 3 in Rule 8 ?
Wound suction drainage system : Is it class 2a or 2b in Rule 11 ?
Also let me know if I am looking at the correct rules ~~~
:thanx:

bio_subbu

Super Moderator
Re: Advise on Device classification under MDD Annex IX.

MDD experts... please help me to classify these medical devices.
Orthopedic implantable devices : Is it class 2b or 3 in Rule 8 ?
Wound suction drainage system : Is it class 2a or 2b in Rule 11 ?
Also let me know if I am looking at the correct rules ~~~
:thanx:
Hi Somashekar

Please refer the existing thread "European Medical Devices Classification “MEDDEV 2. 4/1 Rev. 9 June 2010" and you can find the classification details on the attached excel sheet "Classification of medical devices"

Regards
S.Subramaniam

After a quick check I would agree with your classifications.

Ortho' implant - IIb (unless it has biological action) (rule 8)

Wound drainage - IIa (rule 11)

Regards

Pads

Don't forget that total hip, knee and shoulder replacements are class III as per Directive 2005/50/EC

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

After a quick check I would agree with your classifications.

Ortho' implant - IIb (unless it has biological action) (rule 8)

Wound drainage - IIa (rule 11)

Regards

Pads
I really have no idea of how to understand this "Intended to have a biological effect" part for the orthopedic implants, however its classification under Class III is based out of the Directive 2005/50/EC, per the MEDDEV 2.4/1 Rev9.
Directive 2005/50/EC introduced a derogation from this rule, reclassifying hip, knee and shoulder joint replacements in Class III
Ex. - Total hip, knee and shoulder joint replacements systems and components of systems.

Last edited:

An example device which has a "biological effect" would be some bone graft replacement materials.

An example implant which is mainly absorbed would be something like a resorbable soft tissue anchor

Both of these would be Class III

I really have no idea of how to understand this "Intended to have a biological effect" part for the orthopedic implants, however its classification under Class III is based out of the Directive 2005/50/EC, per the MEDDEV 2.4/1 Rev9.
This is incorrect, the classification of biological effect or absorbable implants has always been class III. 2005/50/EEC only addresses the reclassification of total hip, knee and shoulder replacements from IIb to III

Last edited:
pkost said:
Don't forget that total hip, knee and shoulder replacements are class III as per Directive 2005/50/EC
Thanks pkost, I wasn't aware of that directive.
It is a little surprising that they did not incorporate the change in the 2007 amendments.

I would imagine that it is not included in the 2007 amendments because is a derogation from the rules, it came about through a request made by the UK and French governments under article 13 of the MDD

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
I would imagine that it is not included in the 2007 amendments because is a derogation from the rules, it came about through a request made by the UK and French governments under article 13 of the MDD
Thanks guys...
Device Classification comes from MDD Annex IX leading to MEDDEV 2.4/1 Rev9 leading to the various derogations mentioned within the MEDDEV 2.4/1 Rev9.
Thanks to Subbu, pkost for the good insight ...

Top Bottom