Advice on documentation for project I am working on...

Hi folks - first time posting on here as I only just found this forum!

Quick bit of background, I am currently the QA Manager on a section of a very high-profile rail project and am not happy with the apparent acceptance level by those authorised to accept and sign off documents prior to my tenure starting in September.
On these documents there are boxes for a date to be included, signatures to be inserted and a plethora of other information boxes which in my opinion should be either completed with a simple yes/no/na response but are left blank and then signed off as accepted
In my 20 years experience I have not encountered such a poor standard but it has prompted me to question if I am being to demanding or not in asking for a full revamp and that all such issues above are eradicated by simply filling out the information correctly.

I am a devil for the details and on every project at MEP/Commissioning/project handover stages I would always reject ANY document that had any such issues and get it to be resubmitted correctly and as far as I'm concerned, 9001 requires these said blank boxes with missing info/dates/signatures to be a requirement.

I guess my question is a simple one - am I correct?

Thanks...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Well I seem to recall the gentleman who ran the Internal Auditing course I passed a few months ago stating this...

Is that not correct though?

He also said that where boxes are present and information of some form is being asked for, it should be completed with information and not just left blank..

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
It's not a requirement as far as 9001 goes. It's good practice to at least use N/A rather than leaving things blank. Like everything else, it's all about risk. Is there a risk of confusion or something bad happening if fields are left blank? Is it obvious from context that something isn't necessary? It's a judgment call.

thanks so much for shedding some light on it buddy!

Being a construction project my philosophy is always belt and braces just incase and it is very much a risk for our company to be submitting documentation for acceptance by the client with these bits of information missing and it could leave us open should anything happen in the future.

Having worked on handover documentation I would always stipulate that any box asking for some kind of detail is not left blank and don't see why I shouldn't maintain the same stance on this job...

Brakeman

Involved In Discussions
I say it is required. The QMS requires the process documentation be updated and controlled to support the processes. If you do not answer questions that have been added to the QMS as needing to be answered, then you are not following your QMS process. If the questions are not needed or need to be reworded, then you've failed to correctly maintain and update your QMS.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I say it is required. The QMS requires the process documentation be updated and controlled to support the processes. If you do not answer questions that have been added to the QMS as needing to be answered, then you are not following your QMS process. If the questions are not needed or need to be reworded, then you've failed to correctly maintain and update your QMS.
If you want to say that it's an ISO 9001 requirement, you'll need to cite a specific requirement in the standard. If there are fields that must be completed, there should be an internal requirement to that effect. This comes up sometimes when questions are asked about whether or not forms need to be controlled. They don't need to be controlled so long as the information that's required has been suitable documented. In such cases, a "convenient format" may be provided without being controlled. If the documented requirements for recording information haven't been satisified, there's a nonconformity.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
If I was to site an ISO 9001 requirement, it would cite: 7.5.3.2 "Documented information retained as evidence of conformity shall be protected from unintended alterations.". This is a bit of a stretch, but leaving a field blank allows someone to later 'add' information.

Again, this is a stretch but a blank field can be altered later by someone else.

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Welcome Joey,

What does the organization do when the fields are left blank? Do you need the fields at all? Are you breaking your own procedures by not filling in the fields?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Updating Technical Documentation regularly => Leaner Release Advice EU Medical Device Regulations 2
H ISO 9001 Documentation Templates ('Canned' packages) advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
G Slow electronic documentation system - Seeking advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
U AS9100 Documentation structure and details - Seeking Advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R Advice on Structuring Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
M Braided Tube Twisted Failure Mode - looking for advice Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
G Tips/advice for a new Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
jeancloude17 Advice for ISO 9001 for software Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
T Need advice on what inspection equipment to buy. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A New to QMS and regulatory... advice on training/certification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A CE-Mark regulatory advice - US based Organization CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
J Iso 9001 Clause 7.1 - Advice needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
K SGS Certification - Advice on their Performance Service Industry Specific Topics 9
M Quality Manager and Production Manager Advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
E Need some peer advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
K New to Medical Device QMS and would like advice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
J ISO 9001 Clause advice Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Quality Engineering Long Term Career Advice Career and Occupation Discussions 6
J Career Advice RA Career and Occupation Discussions 4
K AS9100 - Looking for advice on how to become a CB Auditor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A Need career advice on QMS & HSE (No hands on experience) Career and Occupation Discussions 6
D Question and advice for a supplier self audit questionnaire ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F Need Quality Manager advice. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
W 17025 and NIST handbook relationship (need advice) ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
W First time being audited (ISO 9001), asking for advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Advice on how to reduce overhead of handling non-conforming material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
K Interesting Discussion "World Class Product" based QM. I need advice. Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
P IDEs and Clinical Investigators - Advice About Records? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Experience and advice with certifications categories Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
S Need advice for schooling Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
M Advice needed for SEH Compliance Software and ISNETWord Compatabiliy Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
R Advice needed: Shall I report my not complying company to NB / competent Authority (Europe) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Advice on capturing electronic signatures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Clinical Development Plan - Advice Requested EU Medical Device Regulations 11
S HIPAA-compliant monitoring software (advice needed) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 1
N Looking to Impress - New Job - Advice, Thoughts, Comments Welcome Career and Occupation Discussions 23
J Masters Degree - Advice about a decision I"m going to be making Career and Occupation Discussions 9
S California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act - Product Label advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
M Seeking advice regarding use of off-the-shelf (OTS) batteries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
S Selling Clinical Practice Advice Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
R Plea for advice on transitioning between Notified Bodies (label updates) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
M Process Creation Advice Needed Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
classical_quality AS9100 Surveillance Audit - advice on drafting strong responses AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A Single use non-sterile syringe used in the oral cavity - Laboratory test advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
kmrcial Any advice for a young quality professional in the aerospace industry? Career and Occupation Discussions 10
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0