Advice on scope of my QMS - Company that has 2 products

keldez

Involved In Discussions
Hello All,
So I've been asked as a consultant to set up a QMS for a company that has 2 products - one is MDDS imaging software/hardware, the other is up and coming Class 2 imaging software. This is all in the dental world, where consistent guidance from a notified body is very rare.
My task in more detail is to get whatever is necessary for regulatory compliance set up for the Class 2 software as a priority, as the MDDS product has decent design/process documentation already set up and running
My background is only with Class 2 hardware, so I'm quick to unleash ISO 13485/9001 and QSR 21 CFR and cover everything in one fell swoop under a comprehensive Quality Manual.
Even though I'm dealing with class 2 imaging software, doesn't this still qualify as a 'medical device', thus subjecting me to approach it comprehensively with ISO 13485, QSR, and ISO 62304 requirements where applicable and define "non-applications"?
In other words, I can't just take ISO 62304 and disregard ISO 13485? Comparable products in this industry have no Quality System to overblown Quality Systems. I would like to just do the minimum required, as logic would go.

Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

keldez

Involved In Discussions
Is the logic basically: Because it's a "Medical Device" ---> requires at least QSR compliance in US ---> requires QMS?
I'm using 13485 because the private label seller of the MDDS product wants some proof of compliance to 9001, so with the Class 2 product coming up, I figured it would save effort and just comply to 13485 for both products (with 9001 and 13485 being so similar). I've pretty much already drafted a QM with compliance to 13485 and QSR. I forgot to mention I have ISO 14971 considered as well.
Good to know the QMS is required - I will look into how/if this product applies to 62304.
The class 2 imaging software appears to apply mainly to Design Control, Complaints/CAPA, and Quality Plans etc. which is a good chunk of a hardware QMS (minus some Production, RI, and Infrastructure details) anyway. Would you define the exceptions for the class 2 software in its Device Quality Plan and keep the overall QMS generic (e.g. "if applicable....")?

Thanks for your help!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Laboratory Scope - Need some advice regarding our Laboratory Scope QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 9
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Clinical Development Plan - Advice Requested EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S HIPAA-compliant monitoring software (advice needed) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 0
N Looking to Impress - New Job - Advice, Thoughts, Comments Welcome Career and Occupation Discussions 15
J Masters Degree - Advice about a decision I"m going to be making Career and Occupation Discussions 9
S California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act - Product Label advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
M Seeking advice regarding use of off-the-shelf (OTS) batteries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
S Selling Clinical Practice Advice Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
R Plea for advice on transitioning between Notified Bodies (label updates) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
M Process Creation Advice Needed Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
classical_quality AS9100 Surveillance Audit - advice on drafting strong responses AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A Single use non-sterile syringe used in the oral cavity - Laboratory test advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
kmrcial Any advice for a young quality professional in the aerospace industry? Career and Occupation Discussions 10
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
R Customer supplied material - risk and policy advice needed Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
D FDA Pre-Submission Meeting Advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
qualprod Effective Auditing advice needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Unique Device Identifier Advice Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Medical Device News Health Canada Update - 05-09-18 - Pilot Device Advice Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
D AS9100 Document Management (Advice Needed) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T Establishing -F- datum - need advice Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C First Aid Kit Compliance advice - Registered assembler with the MHRA EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Looking to certify to ISO 9001 - Any advice? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
QSM_Rick Advice on selecting an ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor Certification Course ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
H Looking for advice, input, tips on taking the AATT AS9101F Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Nadcap HT Auditor Advisory 17-003 Advice needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
J New position and AS9100 audit is 1 month away- need advice AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
P Single Use Disposable Dental Syringe - CE Marking Advice EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Z ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Template/Form Advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
V Looking for advice on Pooled Standard Deviation between Minitab and MS Excel Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
rob73 Advice/recommendations for equipment to measure a soft pvc tube - Optical Measuring? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Suggestions or advice on complying with ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
5 Advice for a new EMS at a small, office-based company ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
D Need advice in streamlining antiquated 21 CFR 820 compliant QMS Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
M Laser Etching Advice for Permanent Device Marking Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R Advice on 3D Printer for Jigs and Fixtures Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
T AS9003 7.4.3 Critical Raw Material Verification Advice AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
P Experience / advice for integrating API Q1 9th with a WCM program Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
S Advice for ISO17025 First Round of Internal Audits ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
3 K1 K2 K3 constant of Gage R&R - Please advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Q Advice for the Implementation of a Lean/Six Sigma Program Six Sigma 9
D I need the advice/opinion from a J-STD expert Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
O Process Inspector Interviewing advice Career and Occupation Discussions 4
P SPC Short Run Advice of a Stamping Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Need MSA %GRR Interpretation Advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2