Advice on setting up BD Distribution Deals - How much oversight is required?

A

aa759

I work for an organization that is just begining to enter into distribution deals with other organizations. We are looking to distribute class III medical devices. Right now we are operating as if these suppliers are Implant OEMs. Realistically they are not OEMs. We are strictly distributing product for another company. They have a product that we want to offer our surgeons. Where are the Quality/Regulatroy requirements for my company (the distributor) defined? It seems to me that since the ownership of the QS and design reside at the manufacturer that their compliance risk is actually our business risk. Having said that, we should just determine the amount of Quality risk we think is acceptable and audit the potential supplier to that standard. Ultimately the only trouble for my organization is the fact that we have told our surgeons we are bringing widget X to the table and suddenly we do not have widget X bc the manufacturer is in FDA trouble.

My organization is very risk adverse with supplier controls which is why we are being so stringent now. I would love it if we could completely understand the FDA's required level of oversight so that we could tailor our procedures accordingly.

I am looking for feedback on how other organizations handle distribution deals and suggestions about where I can find more information published by the FDA on the issue. I have googled searched a variety of topics and I am just not finding what I need. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place or searching for the wrong things??

Thanks in advance for your help!

-QM in need

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
Another quick "Bump". My Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Advice on setting up an automotive test laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Question and advice for a supplier self audit questionnaire ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F Need Quality Manager advice. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
W 17025 and NIST handbook relationship (need advice) ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
W First time being audited (ISO 9001), asking for advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Advice on how to reduce overhead of handling non-conforming material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
K Interesting Discussion "World Class Product" based QM. I need advice. Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
P IDEs and Clinical Investigators - Advice About Records? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Experience and advice with certifications categories Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
S Need advice for schooling Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
M Advice needed for SEH Compliance Software and ISNETWord Compatabiliy Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
R Advice needed: Shall I report my not complying company to NB / competent Authority (Europe) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Advice on capturing electronic signatures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Clinical Development Plan - Advice Requested EU Medical Device Regulations 11
S HIPAA-compliant monitoring software (advice needed) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 1
N Looking to Impress - New Job - Advice, Thoughts, Comments Welcome Career and Occupation Discussions 23
J Masters Degree - Advice about a decision I"m going to be making Career and Occupation Discussions 9
S California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act - Product Label advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
M Seeking advice regarding use of off-the-shelf (OTS) batteries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
S Selling Clinical Practice Advice Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
R Plea for advice on transitioning between Notified Bodies (label updates) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
M Process Creation Advice Needed Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
classical_quality AS9100 Surveillance Audit - advice on drafting strong responses AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A Single use non-sterile syringe used in the oral cavity - Laboratory test advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
kmrcial Any advice for a young quality professional in the aerospace industry? Career and Occupation Discussions 10
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
R Customer supplied material - risk and policy advice needed Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
D FDA Pre-Submission Meeting Advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
qualprod Effective Auditing advice needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Unique Device Identifier Advice Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Medical Device News Health Canada Update - 05-09-18 - Pilot Device Advice Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
D AS9100 Document Management (Advice Needed) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T Establishing -F- datum - need advice Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C First Aid Kit Compliance advice - Registered assembler with the MHRA EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Looking to certify to ISO 9001 - Any advice? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Advice on selecting an ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor Certification Course ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
H Looking for advice, input, tips on taking the AATT AS9101F Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Nadcap HT Auditor Advisory 17-003 Advice needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
J New position and AS9100 audit is 1 month away- need advice AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
P Single Use Disposable Dental Syringe - CE Marking Advice EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Z ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Template/Form Advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
V Looking for advice on Pooled Standard Deviation between Minitab and MS Excel Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
rob73 Advice/recommendations for equipment to measure a soft pvc tube - Optical Measuring? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Suggestions or advice on complying with ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
5 Advice for a new EMS at a small, office-based company ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3