Advise on R Chart with Ppk of 17.85 for Ford

mlee97

Involved In Discussions
Hi guys! I have a particular problem with a machining capability study in which I am butting heads with a Ford SSBB SQA.

We performed a Surface finish run on a capability run. 300+ pieces sampled to get 125 pieces (25 sets of 5). Ford Requires a PPK of 1.67 on these and control.

When we crunched the data in Minitab, we got a PPK of 17.85 but we had a control point out on the R chart of the required 6-pack.

I complained because the control limits are so tight because of the very limited amount of variation in the machining process. The span of the control limits is less than the unit of measurement (RZ) and the sigma is less than the resolution found in the MSA. He didn't buy it. He said I had to remeasure, but I balk because I know that I am simply in the noise zone of the measuring process.

How do you guys argue this? Any advice?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

adamsjm

Re: Need advise on R chart with PpK of 17.85 for Ford

If you will post your data and required spec limits or your analysis of the data, it will be easier to post a valid response.

A

adamsjm

You need to "Look at the data visually" not just read the numbers from the analysis program. Will you share your R&R calculations?

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

I complained because the control limits are so tight because of the very limited amount of variation in the machining process. The span of the control limits is less than the unit of measurement (RZ) and the sigma is less than the resolution found in the MSA. He didn't buy it. He said I had to remeasure, but I balk because I know that I am simply in the noise zone of the measuring process.
Good observation, but it would help us if your provided the raw data.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator

OK, those are the mini-tab printouts. Would be useful still to see the raw data. Then we can see the fineness of the measurement capability. Could you post the raw data as an excel file?

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator

Thanks. I don't have minitab. I'll work up some charts in Excel at home tonight (off the job). Off hand - looking at the measurements there seems to be plenty of variation (as compared to the precision) in the data. What subgroup size are you using and why that size?

mlee97

Involved In Discussions

Subgroup size of five is a Ford requirement. Max Tolerance was 10 Rz. (Lower Bound - 1 sided)

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator

Thanks. I still have an old copy of Ford's "Continuing Process Control" book so will apply its methodology, subgroup =5. I'll also try x-individuals to see if that says anything different.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T New role Quality Manager IATF 16949, new company, advise how to get started IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
LeonelAguilar352 ISO 9001 - 2015, is the Quality Manual needed? Please advise ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Advise on Oral Spray Pad Printing and Compliance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F Need advise on Root Cause analysis for printing issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
D Include as an attachment or make a separate document? Advise on Document Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P ISO13485 Clause 7.2.1 (d) Additional Requirements - Need advise ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Customer Satisfaction - Would you advise to investigate the trend or the incidence? Customer Complaints 9
D CE Mark advise sought for medical diagnostic Software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
C Need advise to make judgement to take job offer Career and Occupation Discussions 9
F What training and certification path would you advise me to take? Professional Certifications and Degrees 13
V Can anyone advise a method to research 'Measurement System' for testing a tire? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S I have been assigned to implement ISO 14001 - Please Advise ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
E Digital Height Gauge Gage R&R - Need Advise and Help Quick Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J What is Quality for me?... How to do it? My advise for Teachers Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 7
G Need Advise on upcoming ISO 9001:2000 Surveillance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Advise: Cost and suggestion of APQP planning software APQP and PPAP 2
D ISO/TS 16949 Books - Please advise on the best books available IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Internal Document Numbering System - Please review and advise Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
H Need advise on formats to use when writing procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
U Can any body advise on ISO 9001:2000? Textile Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Howard Atkins Advise on applicability QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
R Capability analysis - What is going on this chart? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
S How MR (Moving Range) in Z-MR chart is calculated Using Minitab Software 5
M What is "setup control chart"? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Virtual Documentation via Master Flow Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
K Vigilance process flow chart EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
G I-chart form for GM GP-12 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
B How to do a control chart - Machining product that requires flatness control Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D China - Where I can get NMPA complete structure/organogram chart and GB/YY format list China Medical Device Regulations 1
K Turtle diagram or process interaction chart - Making it easier for an auditor Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 22
D Should "Waste" be included as Output in SIPOC Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
S Assembly House Process Chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Why calculate LCL in P-chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B GM GP-12 Pre-Launch - They asking for a I chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering SPC Charting frequency calculator for X hi/lo chart Imported Legacy Blogs 0
K Operating characteristic (OC) curve S chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
K What is the Beta RISK for S chart OF XBAR-S chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
F Appropriate Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S used excel formula calculated the ARL's with Rule1&Rule2 for Shewhart control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L Formulas to be able to answer these Run Chart questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
L The ARL for an X bar Control Chart (n = 5) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5