AFD (Anticipatory Failure Determination)

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Anyone have any details on, or comments abour, AFD? I ask after seeing the following on the quality NG.

Newsgroups: misc.industry.quality
Subject: Re: working examples of FMEA?
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:35:36 +0200
Organization: Customer of UUNET Deutschland GmbH

Tino, Alan,

May I challenge our common sense?

Then look for AFD (Anticipatory Failure Determination). It is about
inventing all failures that can occure within a given system. It originates
from the so-called sabotage technique and is very strong in revealing the
relevant mechanisms of desasters, together with the required and available
resources.

Many available ways for a system to create desaster, once the required
conditions are met, will keep hidden from FMEA processes.

Many real-life FMEA's I have seen reflect Alan's remark: people try to
formulate their common sense into the FMEA-formalism. The result is
complicated, unprecise and sometimes simply wrong. You can prevent those
results effectively with AFD: it gives a high degree of precision and
correctness.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I did review that thread, but saw nothing better defining AFD. I'm a bit confused about what is being said - about exactly what AFD is and is about.

I'll do an internet search later today and if I find anything specific I'll post it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
A Exact terms for a plating failure and difference between rejection rate and failure rate Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
JoCam Failure to test Class I medical device to IEC 60601-1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Kaizen Events - Factors Affecting Failure Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
C Failure nets - Same level effects FMEA and Control Plans 0
C Failure mode at 0h, vs. 1 year vs. 5 year... FMEA and Control Plans 8
R How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
D Testing to failure for design verification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
M Informational US FDA – Ethicon Recalls Circular Staplers for Insufficient Firing and Failure to Completely Form Staples Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C Detection Action for Failure Effects - AIAG 4th Edition Layout FMEA and Control Plans 5
Marc NASA Says Oregon Company Metals Fraud Caused $700 Million Satellite Failure - 2019 World News 16
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
N PFMEA repetitive failure modes in subsecuent stations. FMEA and Control Plans 1
P Detection rating for a user (surgeon) related failure mode in DFMEA APQP and PPAP 3
J How to look up Failure Modes on FDA website FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Electronic component failure analysis turnaround time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
C Design for Assembly in DFMEA - Failure Effect of Sub-System(s) FMEA and Control Plans 5
Marc Server RAM Failure - 7 Dec 2018 Forum News and General Information 3
K Spot weld - Peel test failure Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Electrical Power Plant Supply failure in PFMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 10
kisxena Memo to File - Failure to Validate Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
Y IEC 62304 Section 4.3(a) - 100% probability of failure IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S FMEA column column ''therblig motion'' for a given potential failure FMEA and Control Plans 12
J What does "factional and failure dependencies“ mean? FMEA and Control Plans 1
N PFMEA Potential Failure Mode for Weight FMEA and Control Plans 5
P Root Cause for a Process Validation Batch Failure 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Infusion Pump Power Failure Alarm IEC 60601-2-24 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Determining Effect of Failure without a DFMEA (Design FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 1
R Will multi-time flashovers constitute a failure of Hi-Pot test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
P IATF 16949 - 10.2.5 Warranty and 10.2.6 Field failure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Medical Device Failure Effects - Where to draw the line? FMEA and Control Plans 8
kedarg6500 Potential Effects of Failure(s) FMEA and Control Plans 23
Marc Definition PFH - Probability of dangerous failure per hour Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition PFD - Probability of failure on demand Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
C Squeeze in one more - Rate of failure Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L First Time Completing a 5 Why/RootCause Failure Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
Z Failure Mode Identification in PFMEA according to AIAG FMEA Rev.4 FMEA and Control Plans 6
B IPCD Sterility test failure during MPQ (EO sterilization validation) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Failure Mode from Operator "Components Fallen but Loaded" FMEA and Control Plans 3
D Is Failure to achieve a Goal a Major Non-Conformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Population failure rate based on attribute data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
P UFMEA - Use Failure Mode Effects Analysis FMEA and Control Plans 7
Sean Kelley Seeking Feedback on ASQ Guide to Failure Mode and Effect Analysis FMEA and Control Plans 2
alonFAI Component Failure (Relay) during ICT Testing after Surface Mount Assembly Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
J Thread Gauge Calibration Failure for Pitch Diameter being too large General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Should failure mode caused by Fixture problem be into PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 2
T Weibull analysis of life time test of 8 electric motors until failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
Q Corrective Action - Product failure during testing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7