AGILE Project Management Process for Product Design

B

Betaride

I have been working for many years with the standard stage gate process flow and was recently asked to use more modern approaches.

After done some internet research, I have found some information about the agile project management process. But most implementation that I have seen where in SW projects, using RUP,extreme programming ...

NOW I tried to find out if any companies have successfully implemented that process in machine development projects (mechanic, electronic, process, ... ), not just in to the SW development path.

I would be very interested to hear a success story with details. :thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

DrM2u

Out of curiosity, have you looked at using MS Project of something equivalent? The PERT, GANTT and Critical Path are still valid methods for project management, depending on the project. I would also like to suggest a book called 'Critical Chain' by Eli Goldratt (the guy who came up with Theory of Constraints). The book is an easy read and provides another perspective to project management.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Agile project management is a technique suitable for products that can improve incrementally and continuously: documentation and software, for example. Features rule. Teams implement the higher-value features first so that the client can have a usable product as fast as possible. Then, with a working product, the next feature or small set of features is targeted.

Anyone perfecting a documentation system with continuous improvement is using APM even if they don't call it that. And software development using "frameworks" or "scaffolding" (Rails, CakePHP, etc.) is naturally APM since you can get a working system very quickly. But I think that traditional project management is more suitable for hardware and construction. It is difficult to construct a building feature by feature.

This article has a good description of APM.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F IEC 62304 agile development EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H Risk Management Plan in agile process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
H If we use agile - do we still need to document TF as a waterfall just for the notified bodies need? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
N Agile SOP for SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
C Experience with Agile PLM (Product Lifecycle Management Software) software from Oracle? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
L AS9100 and Agile development processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Validating my own application developed with Agile Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
N Medical Device Software - Switch from Waterfall to Agile methodology Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
R Training to Effective Documents - Transitioning to Agile Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
alonFAI AGILE PLM - Deviation - What is the "Assigned Owner" Field Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
M Oracle Agile PLM Software Reviews - Oracle Agile, others? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Z Agile Software Development and 510(k) Submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Agile 9.3.1 Relationship Searches - Meaning of Message Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L AAMI TIR(SW1)/Agile Practices in the Development of Medical Device Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
A Documentation Confusion - Agile BOM Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Data Migration Validation - AGILE to (ARAS) Innovator Software Quality Assurance 3
Q Can Agile Methodology Principles be used for CA/PA/CI projects? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
F Conversion from Agile - Need cheaper FDA compliant software Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
S Using Agile for Quality System Documentation Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Document Control and Agile Product Lifecycle Management software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Seeking PDM/PLM Systems Recommendations / Reviews - Looking at SmarTeam and Agile Software Quality Assurance 2
D Agile and Oracle - Does anyone have experience with Agile integrated with Oracle? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
M Agile Software Development - The Manifesto for Agile Software Development Software Quality Assurance 11
D EExtreme / agile software development Software Quality Assurance 1
W Must VDA 6.3 be assigned to certain project? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
E Zero part to part variation - Gage R&R project Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
L Project Managers - Questions For You Career and Occupation Discussions 0
Felony Melony Project Milestone Plan-Development to Mass Production APQP and PPAP 2
R Project Transfer to New Factory ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Need guidance on project ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Update on the IATF CARA Project (“Common Audit Report Application”) - 12/2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
Q Project Tracker - Something that shows the status of each project Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
M IEC 62304 Class A Project IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 15
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S How to start with ISO process in project based team - Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
qualprod ISO 9001 vs PMBOK (project management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Managing design projects: New Medical Device Project or Change Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
H FORD's project milestone acronyms Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
R Extension of product nonconformances - Construction project Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
M PDCA as a project tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
QIE Electronic IFU - new project, need input Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
B [Help] Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
B Help with Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
supadrai Aviation MRO Project facility coming to U-Tapao airport in Thailand - Help Career and Occupation Discussions 2
I GMP 21 CFR Part 11 Electronic Records Compliance Project Help Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9