Agile SOP for SaMD

nbonds007

Starting to get Involved
Hello!

I am working for a startup SaMD company and they have decided to use Agile for software development. Between IEC 62304 and AAMI TIR45, I'm having a difficult time trying to write a procedure. Does anyone have a template that they can share? I just need a decent starting point and then I can tailor it to our companies needs. Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
What specific difficulties are you having? Do your SaMD products require premarket clearance (510(k) or CE marking?

I know with Agile, the emphasis is on functionality rather than documentation; but I believe for medical device products, it's best to build up your documentation through the iterative cycles. You have substantial postmarket activities required once you release so factor that in to your planning.

nbonds007

Starting to get Involved
What specific difficulties are you having? Do your SaMD products require premarket clearance (510(k) or CE marking?

I know with Agile, the emphasis is on functionality rather than documentation; but I believe for medical device products, it's best to build up your documentation through the iterative cycles. You have substantial postmarket activities required once you release so factor that in to your planning.
The difficulties that I'm having is a smooth process flow. Right now, it's a 34 page SOP. The first part of the SOP talks about software development in general. The meat of the SOP breaks it down by Agile Project Phases.
1) Project Initiation
2) Preliminary Analysis
3) Increment
4) Increment Completion
5) Release Layer Completion
6) Released
7) Retirement

Each of the Phases breaks it down to details of what is performed. Maybe I'm just not used to a procedure that is longer than a Quality Manual :| Or maybe I just need to talk it out with other professionals in the field.

The SaMD will require both premarket 510(k) and a Technical File.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
My preference is let the SOP say "what" and push "how" out to a work instruction or the likes. And bear in mind that flowcharts or other graphics can communicate sometimes better than just text. You might consider using the structure of 62304 (at least parts - some of the organization is less-than-desirable IMO) and then mapping your process onto it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Applying agile model for Computer system Validation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
F IEC 62304 agile development EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H Risk Management Plan in agile process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
H If we use agile - do we still need to document TF as a waterfall just for the notified bodies need? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
C Experience with Agile PLM (Product Lifecycle Management Software) software from Oracle? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
L AS9100 and Agile development processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Validating my own application developed with Agile Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
N Medical Device Software - Switch from Waterfall to Agile methodology Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
R Training to Effective Documents - Transitioning to Agile Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
alonFAI AGILE PLM - Deviation - What is the "Assigned Owner" Field Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
M Oracle Agile PLM Software Reviews - Oracle Agile, others? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Z Agile Software Development and 510(k) Submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Agile 9.3.1 Relationship Searches - Meaning of Message Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L AAMI TIR(SW1)/Agile Practices in the Development of Medical Device Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
A Documentation Confusion - Agile BOM Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Data Migration Validation - AGILE to (ARAS) Innovator Software Quality Assurance 3
Q Can Agile Methodology Principles be used for CA/PA/CI projects? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
B AGILE Project Management Process for Product Design Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
F Conversion from Agile - Need cheaper FDA compliant software Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
S Using Agile for Quality System Documentation Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Document Control and Agile Product Lifecycle Management software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Seeking PDM/PLM Systems Recommendations / Reviews - Looking at SmarTeam and Agile Software Quality Assurance 2
D Agile and Oracle - Does anyone have experience with Agile integrated with Oracle? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
M Agile Software Development - The Manifesto for Agile Software Development Software Quality Assurance 11
D EExtreme / agile software development Software Quality Assurance 1
R Good Documentation practices SOP US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Warehouse Static Security Guard SOP Supply Chain Security Management Systems 4
M How to manage Sop's & other quality documents after business transfer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Do we need an SOP for ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S SOP Identification of Special Characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Y SaMD Verification and Validation SOP and Plan IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
B SOP for CNC turret punching machine for sheet metal process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
E Procedure ( SOP) for Device Master Record ( DMR ) and for Device History Record (DHR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M WI vs SOP - Shipping/Receiving Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Language of SOPs and SOP IDs Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
H SOP Template for seeking regulatory clearance - MDSAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
K Looking for guidance to write an SOP on Statistical Methodologies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Converting SOP MDD to MDR Noob ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K What to include in SOP Definitions section Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Naming of SOP doc's - Specific to Calibrations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E SIP/SOP requirements for USB port used for charging IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C SOP Template needed for ISO 13485 6.3 Infrastructure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C SOP unification. Revision No, Revision history Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S SOP for ISO 13485:2016 Quality related Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B How to apply external voltage to SIP/SOP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2