AIAG 4th ed. FMEA Manual "Fit" Changed to "Appearance" - Fit severity?

N

Norman V

The AIAG 3rd ed. FMEA manual gave relatively low severity rankings for "fit" items, but now in the 4th ed. it got changed to "Appearance". No mention of "fit" items any more.

What severity number would you give to a "fit" issue, such as a part not being able to be mounted on the car?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

bpritts

Involved - Posts
I'd consider this as having several different possible "levels" of severity:

8 -- If the fit is so bad that the part can't be installed. Why? it fails totally in meeting the requirements of a downstream customer - the assembler. But, nobody is likely to die as a result.

Lower numbers - if the part can be installed, but doesn't meet objective standards. If, for example, there are defined tolerances for gaps on sheet metal. Lower yet if the part subjectively just "looks wrong". Consider the FMEA manual guidance on whether all customers would b***ch, or just the most discerning.

best of luck..........

Brad

If a part doesn't fit then the primary function or purpose of the part is not met. As per AIAG PFMEA-4 Table Cr1 and my opinion it clearly falls under rank 8. Possibly that's why AIAG removed the wording 'Fit' from Cr1 chart in PFMEA-3. Again this is only a AIAG suggested severity evaluation criteria. You can evaluate the customer effect and then choose the right rank for each case.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K 4th Edition AIAG FMEA Occurrence, Severity and Detection Criteria for Plastics FMEA and Control Plans 1
P Occurrence Rating in AIAG FMEA Manual 4th Edition FMEA and Control Plans 5
C AIAG FMEA 4th Ed "Design Assumption" - I Need Examples FMEA and Control Plans 15
M DFMEA Detection Ranking in AIAG FMEA Manual 4th Ed. - Explanation wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P AIAG FMEA manual 4th edition - Problem with Appendix C FMEA and Control Plans 3
L AIAG's FMEA 4th Edition - Presentation with changes wanted FMEA and Control Plans 8
U AIAG's FMEA Manual 4th Edition Released - 2nd July 2008 FMEA and Control Plans 77
Stijloor AIAG's FMEA 4th Edition Rollout Events. FMEA and Control Plans 3
R AIAG's FMEA Manual 4th Edition pushed back to 1st quarter 2008 FMEA and Control Plans 16
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Detection Action for Failure Effects - AIAG 4th Edition Layout FMEA and Control Plans 5
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
H Is my MSA Study Spreadsheet okay to AIAG MSA Manual 4th Edition? Using Minitab Software 18
D AIAG 4th Edition Capability Study and Gage R&R Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
S AIAG MSA 4th Edition Summary APQP and PPAP 4
Stijloor AIAG MSA 4th Edition Workshop - August 19, 2010 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K Where to put product and process characteristic in PFMEA (AIAG Manual 4th edition)? FMEA and Control Plans 6
J PPAP Marking - Polymeric Parts - AIAG PPAP Manual 4th edition, page 4, Clause 2.2.1.2 APQP and PPAP 5
Howard Atkins Informational AIAG PPAP Manual 4th Edition Forms (including Control Plan) APQP and PPAP 68
T I want a copy of the AIAG PPAP Manual 4th edition APQP and PPAP 4
Y AIAG APQP Forms / Templates (Currently in the 4th Edition) APQP and PPAP 38
S AIAG PPAP 4th Edition - Has anyone heard what the change(s) will be? APQP and PPAP 42
S AIAG working on PPAP 4th Edition? Revision status of AIAG documents APQP and PPAP 8
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
A PFMEA new AIAG FMEA and Control Plans 0
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
M How to complete structure Analysis and Function analysis sections' columns of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
bobdoering Informational New AIAG PFMEA Process - Excel Template Attached FMEA and Control Plans 23
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
S AIAG CQI Auditor Qualification and 3rd Party Certification Requirements General Auditing Discussions 2
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
S I have just purchased the all new Core Tools Software (CTS) from AIAG IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 37
M Is there a published List of AIAG members requiring IATF certification ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
I AIAG 2018 Quality Summit - Is it worth it? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C AIAG's IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.1.1 - Torque MSA Requirement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
G AIAG FMEA - Major customers of the FMEA process FMEA and Control Plans 3
R Information on the roll out of the new harmonized DRAFT FMEA AIAG/VDA manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G ANOVA GR&R: Minitab vs AIAG MSA results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
H Prerequisites for AIAG APQP/PPAP Certification Exam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
xfngrs What are the VDA equivalents to AIAG manuals? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
Marc When will Revision 5 of the AIAG FMEA Manual be released? FMEA and Control Plans 93
S Pre-release version of the upcoming AIAG FMEA Revision 5 FMEA and Control Plans 1
C PPAP Rejection for "MSA-GR&R are not using the latest AIAG format" APQP and PPAP 9