SBS - The best value in QMS software

AIAG FMEA 4? Ed. Explanation: Relationship between PFMEA and Special Characteristics

D

diegofromitaly

AIAG FMEA 4° Ed. Explanation: Relationship between PFMEA and Special Characteristics

Dear,

When it can be considered complying the product from a previous step of production? Always?

What is the relationship between PFMEA and special characteristics? Only inform the design engineer if gravity are over 9 or 10?

Thank you...
:eek:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Explanation on AIAG Fmea 4° Ed., special characteristics

Dear,

When it can be considered complying the product from a previous step of production? Always?

What is the relationship between PFMEA and special characteristics? Only inform the design engineer if gravity are over 9 or 10?

Thank you...
:eek:
You shall take action when severity is 9 or 10. Consider that in FMEA severity can be only modified with a change in design ( if you are talking of product FMEA).
As to the first question , I did not undestand, You shall link PMEA with Control plan for the whole process flow .:bigwave:

D

diegofromitaly

Hi qusys...the question are...I compile a PFMEA, the product have a flow in the process, i write a function, i must to consider ALWAYS complying the product of the previous step of production?

qusys

Hi qusys...the question are...I compile a PFMEA, the product have a flow in the process, i write a function, i must to consider ALWAYS complying the product of the previous step of production?
You shall identify potential failure for the several step of your flow.
You can have multiple . What does it mean " complying the product of the previous step?"

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

You shall take action when severity is 9 or 10.
No--sometimes there will be no actions that can be taken to lower the risk and the RPN.
Consider that in FMEA severity can be only modified with a change in design ( if you are talking of product FMEA).
This is also not always true. It's true in the great majority of cases, but not all.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Dear,

In general, only potential failure modes created in the present operation should be considered. In other words, it should be considered that material coming into the process or operation is in conformance. Inspection operations, when considered as a separate line item in a PFMEA, are an exception. For inspection, it should be considered that the condition of the product is unknown.

Special characteristics generally must be identified on the PFMEA form, but if the Severity factor is high, one of the things you might consider is consulting with the design authority to determine if something can be changed. This won't always be the case. If Severity is high, you need make sure you understand the risks and the variation that contributes to it and determine whether action can be taken to reduce the risk.

Last edited:

qusys

No--sometimes there will be no actions that can be taken to lower the risk and the RPN.
Agree with you. but in the real case case I have seen some organization tale actions, check at RPN at aiming at reducing occurrence or increasing detection, in any case

This is also not always true. It's true in the great majority of cases, but not all.
:bigwave:

C

Carmine

Re: AIAG FMEA 4° Ed. Explanation: Relationship between PFMEA and Special Characterist

I can suggest : Special and Critical Charteristic you have to take from your Drawings. Then there are the High Impact and Sefty Operator that comes from your process :)

H

hkrishnan1983

Re: AIAG FMEA 4° Ed. Explanation: Relationship between PFMEA and Special Characterist

Carmine,

I would suggest you the following points,

1. Arrive SC/CC matrix from the DFMEA

2. Take 2D drawings, Process flow documents

3. Take PTDB(Past trouble data bank),it contains list of failures(internal, warranty & customer complaints) as a key input for FMEA

4. Do stage-wise brainstorming w.r.t man,machine,method & material

5. list out possible potential failure modes

6. assign severity, occurence & detection

7. caluculate Risk(RPN)

Finally, update the FMEA & reduce the RPN threasold limit as a continual improvement activity.

Take this input and develop control plan.

From control plan, arrive Work instructions, list of poka-yoke etc as applicable..

Thanks, Harikrishnan

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M DFMEA Detection Ranking in AIAG FMEA Manual 4th Ed. - Explanation wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 2
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
G AIAG FMEA - Major customers of the FMEA process FMEA and Control Plans 3
R Information on the roll out of the new harmonized DRAFT FMEA AIAG/VDA manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc When will Revision 5 of the AIAG FMEA Manual be released? FMEA and Control Plans 93
S Pre-release version of the upcoming AIAG FMEA Revision 5 FMEA and Control Plans 1
N AIAG 4th ed. FMEA Manual "Fit" Changed to "Appearance" - Fit severity? FMEA and Control Plans 2
Z Failure Mode Identification in PFMEA according to AIAG FMEA Rev.4 FMEA and Control Plans 6
K 4th Edition AIAG FMEA Occurrence, Severity and Detection Criteria for Plastics FMEA and Control Plans 1
P Occurrence Rating in AIAG FMEA Manual 4th Edition FMEA and Control Plans 5
C AIAG FMEA 4th Ed "Design Assumption" - I Need Examples FMEA and Control Plans 15
M AIAG FMEA Manual Request FMEA and Control Plans 9
V Latest revisions of Core Tools Manuals from the AIAG (APQP, PPAP, FMEA, SPC and MSA) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
X AIAG FMEA Occurrence Criteria Issue FMEA and Control Plans 6
A AIAG Design FMEA Severity Rankings - Noncompliance Government Regulation? FMEA and Control Plans 9
I What is the difference between FMEA Fourth edition (AIAG) and VDA 4.2? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 7
R Is there an FMEA standard other than AIAG? FMEA and Control Plans 11
M What are the changes in the latest AIAG FMEA edition FMEA and Control Plans 4
Stijloor Latest AIAG PPAP and FMEA Errata Sheet APQP and PPAP 7
P AIAG FMEA manual 4th edition - Problem with Appendix C FMEA and Control Plans 3
T RPN of Action Results per the AIAG FMEA manual FMEA and Control Plans 5
P AIAG FMEA Core Tools Exam FMEA and Control Plans 4
L AIAG's FMEA 4th Edition - Presentation with changes wanted FMEA and Control Plans 8
U AIAG's FMEA Manual 4th Edition Released - 2nd July 2008 FMEA and Control Plans 77
Stijloor AIAG's FMEA 4th Edition Rollout Events. FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Are the AIAG document (FMEA, PPAP, SPC, MSA, APQP) guidelines or requirements FMEA and Control Plans 6
K Ford FMEA - differences to AIAG FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 8
R AIAG's FMEA Manual 4th Edition pushed back to 1st quarter 2008 FMEA and Control Plans 16
S Has the AIAG published the latest FMEA manual yet? FMEA and Control Plans 2
L PFMEA (Process FMEA) issue about lower RPN - AIAG 3rd edition page 55 FMEA and Control Plans 13
J Changes to AIAG's FMEA manual to happen in the 3rd quarter of 2007 FMEA and Control Plans 10
K AIAG FMEA Manual - New version in June 2007? FMEA and Control Plans 6
S PFMEA Form - What forces you to use the AIAG form for Process FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 4
S VDA vs. AIAG - FMEA Ranking FMEA and Control Plans 4
C Is Risk Assessment Still Necessary? The AIAG FMEA Manual does not address FMEA and Control Plans 1
M PFMEA Detection Evaluation Criteria - Visual Check - Page 52 of the AIAG FMEA manual FMEA and Control Plans 2
A Sae J1739:2002 - Is it different from the AIAG's latest FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 1
A AIAG Releases FMEA Update - 30 June 2001 FMEA and Control Plans 16
M Renault vs. AIAG FMEA - Would like details of it's usage and any training aids FMEA and Control Plans 4
M "Issue & continuous improvement" columns in AIAG-VDA PFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 4
C AIAG-VDA PFMEA - 1st special Characteristics? [5step vs. 6step] FMEA and Control Plans 3