AIAG MSA 4th Edition Summary

S

Sturmkind

AIAG and the U.S. OEM team have made another upgrade to the Measurement Systems Analysis manual. If one goes to the training sessions all AIAG manuals are available for purchase at $25 USD rather than the usual $75 USD.

Several changes and clarifications were made by the presenters:
Joe Bransky –GM; Mike Down –GM; Russ Hopkins –Ford,
Patrice White-Johnson –Ford; Fred Czubak –Chrysler, Gregory Gruska –Omnex; Steve Stahley –Cummins.

Four interesting points were made that may foster additional Cove discussion.

A) TS Auditor relations & procedures: Bransky said, “Only PPAP is a requirement. The other AIAG documents [APQP, MSA, PFMEA, SPC] are reference material and recommended practices but they are NOT required.”
a. He suggested that supplier procedures should make this distinction clear to avoid auditors using the whole manual as a requirement. A Lead Auditor from Lloyds agreed with this.
b. Mike Down mentioned that “auditors…get goofy with requirements for calibrated rulers, etc.”.
c. Shop floor systems should reference ANSI/NCSLZ540.3 as well.

B) Gage acceptability decision rule recommendation changed from 10/20/30 to 10, 10-30, >30.

C) Stahley said, “Some GRR is not value-added. For instance, profilometer measurements are better served with the uncertainty value rather than a GRR meant to largely satisfy an auditor.”. The Lloyds Lead Auditor agreed.

D) Gruska reminded everyone that, “Calibration is a re-centering of the measurement device. If using stability as a re-calibration decision tool then re-calibration is not needed until such a time as the measurement process drifts out-of-control.

The manual recommends cross-tabulation analysis as well as cleaning up the 10/20/30% of tolerance rule and shows why 0-30% has neglible effecgt on Ppk/Cpk metrics.

If anyone would like a list of summary specifics I would be happy to get that to you.

AndyN

Moved On
D) Gruska reminded everyone that, “Calibration is a re-centering of the measurement device.

Is it? I didn't think it was...I understood that it was simply understanding where the equipment was compare to the standard, didn't include adjustment (some items can't be adjusted) but is assigned a known value which can be used in measurement results...

Am I off base here?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
D) Gruska reminded everyone that, “Calibration is a re-centering of the measurement device.

Is it? I didn't think it was...I understood that it was simply understanding where the equipment was compare to the standard, didn't include adjustment (some items can't be adjusted) but is assigned a known value which can be used in measurement results...

Am I off base here?

The whole statement:
D) Gruska reminded everyone that, “Calibration is a re-centering of the measurement device. If using stability as a re-calibration decision tool then re-calibration is not needed until such a time as the measurement process drifts out-of-control.

He's wrong. As has been pointed out here many times, calibration is comparison to a standard, and may or may not result in adjustment. You can't use stability as a "re-calibration decision tool" without actually calibrating. What he meant was "If using stability as an adjustment decision tool..."

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Gruska reminded everyone that, “Calibration is a re-centering of the measurement device. If using stability as a re-calibration decision tool then re-calibration is not needed until such a time as the measurement process drifts out-of-control.

He may have been oversimplifying to focus on the point of stability tracking versus periodic calibration. Calibration does primarily deal with bias (deviation from the standard), and if there is an option to correct the bias (adjustment), it is one of the calibration functions. The decision as to when to perform calibration - whether is be by tracking stability or by "picking" a time period - is useful issue to ponder. Stability - especially as they like to track it using charting - may be predictor of a reasonable calibration period, rather than arbitrary time periods. In a more rudimentary fashion, that is what we do when we say of the gage is out of calibration within a year, you need to do it in six months. Using stability charting allows you to nail the time period a little closer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom