AIAG MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Manual 3rd ed. Chapter IV

Southern Cross

Involved In Discussions
From Section A, stability studies S1 and S2 can be done for situations where "the shelf life of the characteristic is known and extends beyond the expected duration of the study".

I'm uncertain of the terms used. What constitutes a cycle? Is it time based?

Where is S1 (single part, single measurement per cycle) used compared with S2 (n >= 3 parts, single measurement per cycle per part).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
From Section A, stability studies S1 and S2 can be done for situations where "the shelf life of the characteristic is known and extends beyond the expected duration of the study".

I'm uncertain of the terms used. What constitutes a cycle? Is it time based?

Where is S1 (single part, single measurement per cycle) used compared with S2 (n >= 3 parts, single measurement per cycle per part).
Can someone help our Member?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Interesting that AIAG failed to define this. I searched throughout this section and it is not defined. From the context and my experience, I would say that it appears to imply a complete measurement cycle. rather than ant type of manufacturing cycle. Non-replicable measurements tend to be associated with more complex measurement instruments that have distinct cycles.

S1 would typically be used for difficult, time consuming tests while S2 would be used for quick and easy tests.

Southern Cross

Involved In Discussions
Non-replicable measurements tend to be associated with more complex measurement instruments that have distinct cycles.
Miner, thanks for clearing up the S1 vs. S2 question.

Details of the instrument in question are in the attached pdf file. I still don't understand the concept of a measurement cycle. Can you expand on that? Or give an example?

Attachments

Southern Cross

Involved In Discussions
Thinking about the measurement cycle, the instrument would typically be turned off at night and on again in the morning. Maybe the tests should be done daily?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I am not familiar with this type of test equipment. Does it provide continuous test results as product runs through it?

A test cycle is not the same as a power down/up cycle. A test cycle is the time that it takes to perform a single complete test. I believe that the reason that it is specified in this fashion is because some tests will take many readings of a single test sample then average them to obtain a single test result.

Southern Cross

Involved In Discussions
A set quantity of product (viscous fluid) is applied to the bottom rubber roller. The time for a test is only 60 seconds after the sample is applied. Clean up of the rollers takes much longer. The whole test process is about 10 minutes.

I'm afraid the industry I work in has not been at the forefront of quality management, to put it mildly. I don't think I'm going to have the clout to make people do a calibration check with every sample test. Daily might be a chance. A set of multiple tests daily might be a chance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Need a version of the AIAG's MSA (Measurement System Anaysis) 3rd Edition Checklist Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D What the AIAG manual says about the frequency of MSA - Measurement system analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
D Linearity Analysis - Measurement System Analysis - AIAG MSA Manual 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
Y AIAG's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3rd Edition - K1, K2, K3 constants Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
C AIAG's IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.1.1 - Torque MSA Requirement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
G ANOVA GR&R: Minitab vs AIAG MSA results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
C PPAP Rejection for "MSA-GR&R are not using the latest AIAG format" APQP and PPAP 9
V Latest revisions of Core Tools Manuals from the AIAG (APQP, PPAP, FMEA, SPC and MSA) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Definition Equipment definition - What does "equipment" mean in the AIAG MSA Manual Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
H Is my MSA Study Spreadsheet okay to AIAG MSA Manual 4th Edition? Using Minitab Software 18
Q Using Traceable Standards - AIAG MSA Manual Chapter II, Section B, 1st bullet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K Error in ANOVA table in the AIAG MSA manual? Table A4 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
P Is there an Errata sheet for AIAG's MSA Manual Fourth Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
S AIAG MSA 4th Edition Summary APQP and PPAP 4
Stijloor AIAG MSA 4th Edition Workshop - August 19, 2010 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Where to buy AIAG MSA 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T When is GRR (Gage R&R) required? AIAG MSA Manual Version 4 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
O Problems calculating the observed CP - Page 19, AIAG MSA manual 3rd edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Where did "breakpoint" analysis come from? AIAG MSA book Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
B Operator*part interaction - AIAG MSA manual indicates ANOVA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Are the AIAG document (FMEA, PPAP, SPC, MSA, APQP) guidelines or requirements FMEA and Control Plans 6
P AIAG SPC Manual (ver.1) Interpretations related to Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
C AIAG Attribute MSA - Analytical Method - Page 135 of MSA manual 3rd edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
A Product or Process Tolerence - AIAG MSA Reference Manual 3rd edition page 3 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Significance of X chart in AIAG MSA sheet for Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
B AIAG SPC and MSA guidelines - Which are the latest revisions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
T MSA using tolerances - Page 116 of the AIAG MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 30
S Bias Study Confidence Intervals - Page 88 of the AIAG MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
Howard Atkins Errata for the AIAG's MSA Third Edition; 1st and 2nd printings Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
P Has K1 for GR&R's changed in AIAG 3rd ed MSA Manual? Does it affect outcome of study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T TS 16949 - AIAG's MSA Manual - Thread Inspection Gage - Attribute Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Bias & Linearity Calculations and T Value Formula in the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Number of Distinct Data Categories - NDC - AIAG's MSA Manual 3rd edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Linearity Analysis - AIAG's MSA Manual 3rd Edition - Question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
J AIAG's MSA Manual 3rd Edition Attribute Gage Study - Calculating the UCI and LCI Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
V AIAG's MSA III Edition - Forms and Formulas - Attribute Gage R&R Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Attribute Gage R&R Form - Long Version - AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 35
Atul Khandekar Chapter III- Section C of the AIAG MSA manual (3rd Edition) - Tired of analysis? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J AIAG MSA and Gage R&R - What does the Process Variation % R&R truly mean? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
R Differences between the AIAG's MSA Manual 2nd & 3rd Edition? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
I AIAG's MSA Manual 3rd Edition - A Look at K Values - Auditor Questions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M Anyone hear anything about the new AIAG MSA manual? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M Third Edition of the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B AIAG's MSA Reference Manual, page 95, "Gage R&R Confidence Intervals" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
F Meeting the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R Bias, Linearity, Stability requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
A PFMEA new AIAG FMEA and Control Plans 0