AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this....

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Just doing some research on this, to help determine what step(s) we need to take, and found information on a website (granted, in the UK) which said the following:

Will the new AIAG/VDA FMEA replace the current version AIAG 4th edition?
  • The new book has been released as AIAG/VDA FMEA 1st edition 2019 and is not designed to be the 5th edition version for the current blue books.
  • The current version of AIAG blue book 4th edition will no longer be subject to update but still remains current and relevant at the present time and mandated by some OEMs.
  • IATF are not mandating this as the approach to FMEA and the approach to FMEA will still be driven by the Customer Specific Requirements.
Has the new approach been mandated?
  • No, it is not mandated by any OEMs to adopt this approach at present and is not mandated by IATF.
  • Organisations will only need to meet this requirement if their customer mandates it in the future, or they choose to adopt this approach. Again, this would be subject to agreement with the customer.
Does anyone have any DEFINITE information that the statements above are correct, particularly in regards the the mandating of the new approach? I can already see that the transition from the current requirement will be a huge undertaking, and if its not really necessary, and the current method suits our needs, then I will recommend to my management team that we do not (at least at the current time) plan on transitioning.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
They mentioned during the rollout webinar the targeted goals for implementation. A video of that webinar is on the AIAG site...AIAG & VDA FMEA Update As is typical for the AIAG books, it states that it is NOT a requirement book in the Forward. However, Customers tend to make it one via Customer Specific Requirements - simply not knowing any better. That makes them auditable. So, most likely your customers will tell you what and when you need to implement the new FMEAs. It does state that FMEAs from currently PPAPed products need not be updated. Again, your customer has the opportunity to blow that out of the water. This post is probably not the one to review - the admins may move these comments to an appropriate area.

Last edited:

Ron Rompen

Although the wording on the website may be correct, until there is a definitive interpretation by AIAG and the TS16949 committee, it is not clear if this is a 'requirement' or just a recommendation. The interpretation of the change will be crucial for any upcoming audits.

Slim Pickins

Starting to get Involved
I just received the following from my registrar. SO, I guess they think it is obligatory.

"The AIAG released the new FMEA Manual June 3, 2019. The new FMEA includes VDA, AIAG and OEM guidelines for severity, occurrence and detection. There is also an additional requirement to communicate risks identified during the Failure Analysis process.

The expectation is that new projects started after July / August 2019 would implement the new FMEA requirements. "OUR" Auditors will verify implementation of these new projects during the next scheduled Audit."

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
The expectation is that new projects started after July / August 2019 would implement the new FMEA requirements. "OUR" Auditors will verify implementation of these new projects during the next scheduled Audit."

Where is the requirement for this located? "Your" auditor will verify the implementation of these new projects during the next audit. Say the client has no CSR for implementation of the AIAG VDA FMEA, so they have not implemented it. Would they write a finding? If so, based on what?

Ron Rompen

Has anyone developed a new Excel template for the revised FMEA that they are able to share? I see the writing on the wall; if this isn't listed in the CSR's yet, it's only a matter of time before they choose to include it.

Top Bottom