AIAG's IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.1.1 - Torque MSA Requirement

I know there has been many different threads discussing this topic, but I don't think there has been any resolution.

What steps can an organization take to satisfy the following requirement in AIAG as it relates to torque?

IATF 16949, section 7.1.5.1.1

Measurement System Analysis

Statistical studies shall be conducted to analyze the variation present in the results of each type of inspection, measurement, and test equipment system identified in the control plan.

Is it even possible to perform a MSA on a torque device?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
So we had the same thing. We did it as a go/no go study because we just had to meet a specific value, not measure anything. YMMV.

Golfman25

I see. However, how is repeatability tested since this is a destructed process and you cannot torque the same joint twice?
I don't know. This is one of those -- does it really make sense given the circumstances? Unfortunately, IATF doesn't allow thinking in these situations.

AMIT BALLAL

I would like to know, how it is a destructive test? Why would you do destructive test on a production part?

I would like to know the process, because the one we do is a non-destructive test.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
A better term would be non-replicable. Destructive implies physical damage to the product. I believe what CorpMetro meant was that the joint is physically changed when measured and that measurement cannot be replicated again.

You also have the issue that a static breakaway torque does not measure the same characteristic as the applied dynamic run down torque.

Miner,

I have been following your blogs on MSA (They are awesome). I wanted to follow up on your blog post titled " Non-replicable MSA studies".

Could you provide some guidance on how I could apply this to applications involving Torque?

Thanks!

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
For some options on studies for non-replicable measurements, go to page 153 for the MSA manual. There some options for you. Would need to see what best suits your particular case. Maybe S3, large sample from stable process? You will find something to help between pg 153 ~ 157. Hope it helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V IATF Auditor Guide for TS 16949 for sale at the AIAG store IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Is there a published List of AIAG members requiring IATF certification ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J AIAG released IATF Authorization Rule 3rd edition (in English) on 10/1/2008 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
1 Are there any Labeling Requirements outlined by AIAG or the IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V In the US, what is the difference between IATF, IAOB, and AIAG? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
A PFMEA new AIAG FMEA and Control Plans 0
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
M How to complete structure Analysis and Function analysis sections' columns of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
bobdoering Informational New AIAG PFMEA Process - Excel Template Attached FMEA and Control Plans 23
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
S AIAG CQI Auditor Qualification and 3rd Party Certification Requirements General Auditing Discussions 2
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
C Detection Action for Failure Effects - AIAG 4th Edition Layout FMEA and Control Plans 5
S I have just purchased the all new Core Tools Software (CTS) from AIAG IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 37
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
I AIAG 2018 Quality Summit - Is it worth it? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G AIAG FMEA - Major customers of the FMEA process FMEA and Control Plans 3
R Information on the roll out of the new harmonized DRAFT FMEA AIAG/VDA manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G ANOVA GR&R: Minitab vs AIAG MSA results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
H Prerequisites for AIAG APQP/PPAP Certification Exam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
xfngrs What are the VDA equivalents to AIAG manuals? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
Marc When will Revision 5 of the AIAG FMEA Manual be released? FMEA and Control Plans 93
S Pre-release version of the upcoming AIAG FMEA Revision 5 FMEA and Control Plans 1
C PPAP Rejection for "MSA-GR&R are not using the latest AIAG format" APQP and PPAP 9
kedarg6500 Excel Spreadsheet for AIAG Example wanted Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
N AIAG 4th ed. FMEA Manual "Fit" Changed to "Appearance" - Fit severity? FMEA and Control Plans 2
G AIAG CQI-Audits and Auditor Training ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
Z Failure Mode Identification in PFMEA according to AIAG FMEA Rev.4 FMEA and Control Plans 6
B New to Metrology and told to complete Gage R&R with AIAG compliant software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
M Where to buy AIAG Manuals ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
S Service Parts PPAP AIAG Manual - Opinions APQP and PPAP 4
L AIAG B-10 Labeling Standard vs. VDA 4902 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
xfngrs New AIAG Special Molding Assessment CQI-23 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 17
O Any recommendations on good book on Control Plans besides AIAG? FMEA and Control Plans 3
Stijloor AIAG Layered Process Audit 2nd Ed. (CQI-8) is now available. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K 4th Edition AIAG FMEA Occurrence, Severity and Detection Criteria for Plastics FMEA and Control Plans 1
E CQI-7T Form - AIAG Process Identification Tool 95-2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D What is an AIAG Sustainability Report? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
Q Is AIAG PPAP section 2.1 waiver a solution? APQP and PPAP 7
E What's the difference: AIAG-PPAP's "Significant Production Run" and "Run @ Rate"? APQP and PPAP 11
W Production Trial Run in AIAG APQP and Run at Rate (GP-9) GM 1927 APQP and PPAP 2