AIAG's MSA Manual 3rd Edition - A Look at K Values - Auditor Questions

I

infraray

MSA 3rd Edition question

Hello,

I first want to say this is a great forum with a lot of helpful info. I appreciate the service!

The question I have is: We just went through our QS audit and the auditor was questioning what we knew about the K values. with regard to GR&R. In his questioning he asked us why they change in the 3rd edition. I had no reply. Of course he wasn't looking for trouble just trying to see if it made sense to anyone else.

I understand that the K values are based upon the 5.15 @ 99%/ d2. However in the 3rd edition it is now based upon a smaller area under the curve. (Can't remember the exact number right now.) So can anyone tell me what's the deal? It looks like they got a little lenient on us or maybe I am just missing something.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can give.

Keith

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I

infraray

Thanks for the assistance, however I am still not convinced with what AIAG is saying. If I put in the new(3rd) edition K values I will get a different GRR. I have verified my excel spreadsheet to the data in the MSA and everything is correct. If I change K values however I get a different GRR%. According to AIAG the K values cancel out. This doesn't appear to be the case. Hmmm...

A

Andrews

Are there many changes in the 3rd edition of MSA manual?Do we have to redo all the MSA conducted till now.Sorry Iam curious because I have not yet got the new edition with me.

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
The third revision is said to be more than a 100 pages longer than the second one.

I don't really think you will have to redo the MSA studies you conducted in the past and I don't think bad gages will become good (or vice versa) with new calculations. ;)

A

a_amirahmadi - 2002

MSA 3rd Edition

Does any one know where I can get a copy of MSA manual 3rd edition or differences bitween 2rd and 3rd edition?:)

xfngrs

Quite Involved in Discussions
Does anybody know of a training supplier for MSA other than AIAG? Manager thinks AIAG is too expensive.:bonk:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Definition Equipment definition - What does "equipment" mean in the AIAG MSA Manual Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
H Is my MSA Study Spreadsheet okay to AIAG MSA Manual 4th Edition? Using Minitab Software 18
Q Using Traceable Standards - AIAG MSA Manual Chapter II, Section B, 1st bullet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K Error in ANOVA table in the AIAG MSA manual? Table A4 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
P Is there an Errata sheet for AIAG's MSA Manual Fourth Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
T When is GRR (Gage R&R) required? AIAG MSA Manual Version 4 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S AIAG MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Manual 3rd ed. Chapter IV Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
O Problems calculating the observed CP - Page 19, AIAG MSA manual 3rd edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Operator*part interaction - AIAG MSA manual indicates ANOVA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P AIAG SPC Manual (ver.1) Interpretations related to Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
C AIAG Attribute MSA - Analytical Method - Page 135 of MSA manual 3rd edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
A Product or Process Tolerence - AIAG MSA Reference Manual 3rd edition page 3 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T MSA using tolerances - Page 116 of the AIAG MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 30
S Bias Study Confidence Intervals - Page 88 of the AIAG MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
D What the AIAG manual says about the frequency of MSA - Measurement system analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
P Has K1 for GR&R's changed in AIAG 3rd ed MSA Manual? Does it affect outcome of study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T TS 16949 - AIAG's MSA Manual - Thread Inspection Gage - Attribute Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Bias & Linearity Calculations and T Value Formula in the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Number of Distinct Data Categories - NDC - AIAG's MSA Manual 3rd edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Linearity Analysis - AIAG's MSA Manual 3rd Edition - Question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
D Linearity Analysis - Measurement System Analysis - AIAG MSA Manual 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
J AIAG's MSA Manual 3rd Edition Attribute Gage Study - Calculating the UCI and LCI Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
M Attribute Gage R&R Form - Long Version - AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 35
Atul Khandekar Chapter III- Section C of the AIAG MSA manual (3rd Edition) - Tired of analysis? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Differences between the AIAG's MSA Manual 2nd & 3rd Edition? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
M Anyone hear anything about the new AIAG MSA manual? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M Third Edition of the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B AIAG's MSA Reference Manual, page 95, "Gage R&R Confidence Intervals" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
F Meeting the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R Bias, Linearity, Stability requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
C AIAG's IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.1.1 - Torque MSA Requirement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
G ANOVA GR&R: Minitab vs AIAG MSA results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
C PPAP Rejection for "MSA-GR&R are not using the latest AIAG format" APQP and PPAP 9
V Latest revisions of Core Tools Manuals from the AIAG (APQP, PPAP, FMEA, SPC and MSA) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S AIAG MSA 4th Edition Summary APQP and PPAP 4
Stijloor AIAG MSA 4th Edition Workshop - August 19, 2010 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Where to buy AIAG MSA 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
M Where did "breakpoint" analysis come from? AIAG MSA book Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S Are the AIAG document (FMEA, PPAP, SPC, MSA, APQP) guidelines or requirements FMEA and Control Plans 6
A Significance of X chart in AIAG MSA sheet for Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
B AIAG SPC and MSA guidelines - Which are the latest revisions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
K Need a version of the AIAG's MSA (Measurement System Anaysis) 3rd Edition Checklist Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Howard Atkins Errata for the AIAG's MSA Third Edition; 1st and 2nd printings Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Y AIAG's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3rd Edition - K1, K2, K3 constants Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V AIAG's MSA III Edition - Forms and Formulas - Attribute Gage R&R Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J AIAG MSA and Gage R&R - What does the Process Variation % R&R truly mean? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
A PFMEA new AIAG FMEA and Control Plans 0