AIDS Puzzle Solved By Computer Gamers

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I've been reading about this around the web. As a biology major *way* back in the 1970's I remember the state of understanding about viruses at the time and what was known about how they worked. There was some 3-D info back then but it was rudimentary and as far as I remember most, if not all, was theoretical (that was a *long* time ago - I'm claiming "Old Timers Disease with respect to what I remember).

Anyway - I had to choose between quite a few sources to cite for more details. Here are two:

AIDS Puzzle Solved By Computer Gamers

Computer gamers solve problem in AIDS research that puzzled scientists for years

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

True Position

I cant determine how gamers has made a way to solve a long-time mystery of aids.
The researchers created a video game simulation of protein folding and allowed anybody to try and figure out the shape of a key aids molecule. Humans are currently better then computers at solving problems like this and the people playing the game functioned as a large distributed supercomputer that is unusually skilled at 3d rotation.

Amazon's Mechanical Turk is a similar 'for profit' idea.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Understanding UDI requirements - Class 2 medical device (hearing aids) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E RAC EU preparation aids - Tips on how to prepare for RAC EU exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
L Hearing Aids Labeled as "Used" - Canadian Regulations Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
K Are Hearing Aids classified as Class I or Class II under EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E BRAZIL: Regulatory requirements regarding aids for invalids Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
E TURKEY: Regulatory requirements regarding aids for invalids Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
D Medical Device Class Confimation - Device Aids in Physical Rehabilitation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E PPAP Checking aids, what to do exactly? APQP and PPAP 5
optomist1 GD&T Study Aids - Medium to Complex Y14.5M Drawings Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Jokes - An eldery patient gets hearing aids from a doctor Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
J Classification of Hearing Aids in Indonesia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
V Pediatric Regulatory requirements for Hearing Aids Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
H Visual Aids - Documentation in our Specification System or Local Control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Document Control Training Aids Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
P Work Instructions/Job Aids in the Quality System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
kmyers ISO Motivators - Ideas for visual aids throughout the plant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
Anerol C Who is Approving your Manufacturing Visual Aids / Process Sheets? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
kedarg6500 How to Select Checking Aids APQP and PPAP 7
A Do Visual Aids Need to be Implemented? TL 9000 Gap Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Tim Folkerts Mnemonics & memory aids Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Marc Two-limbed tiptoe and Coconut aids octopus camouflage Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Gman2 How visible should visual aids be? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
E Submitting the Checking Aids on the PPAP's APQP and PPAP 5
M Procedures vs Training Aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Renault vs. AIAG FMEA - Would like details of it's usage and any training aids FMEA and Control Plans 4
J 4.5 Document Control and Shop Aids - Do shop aids need to be controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
somashekar Clementoni 1000 puzzle Brain Teasers and Puzzles 2
Chennaiite Who is the one? A Puzzle Brain Teasers and Puzzles 5
I Mathematical Probability Puzzle Brain Teasers and Puzzles 25
U Magic Gopher Puzzle Brain Teasers and Puzzles 12
A Puzzle related to Quality for Internal Newsletter ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Sam4Quality Quality Definitions Crossword Puzzle Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
G IQ Test - Try to solve this puzzle Brain Teasers and Puzzles 4
G Puzzle given by Company Recruitment Team Brain Teasers and Puzzles 32
I Cave Puzzle Brain Teasers and Puzzles 1
Q I need a solution to the puzzle... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
A Coin Puzzle Brain Teasers and Puzzles 3
Icy Mountain Twelve Days of Christmas Puzzle Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Icy Mountain Statistical Puzzle with Poll Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
C C=O puzzle - What protection does C=0 provide a supplier? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
Claes Gefvenberg Another puzzle... Brain Teasers and Puzzles 9
A Crossword Puzzle on QMS (Quality Management Systems) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 12
D A little light relief - A puzzle Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
V Steve Jobs solved Innovator's Dilemma World News 8
Coury Ferguson America's Most Wanted-John Walsh's son's murder solved Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Manix Failure Modes that are Solved by actions already in place! FMEA and Control Plans 7
C Six Sigma vs. Shainin - Content of problems that can be solved by Shainin Six Sigma 25