Aircraft Cockpit Automation - Good or Bad

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted
With the recent tragedy re: Lion Air Flight JT610...and the not too distant Air France Flight 447 tragedy, has the commercial aviation field reached;
1) the point of technological saturation,
2) an undue over reliance upon technology negating or dulling the most basic aspects of pilot skills or
3) is it case of too much technology foisted upon aircraft crews too quickly

Your thoughts and insight will be appreciated....
optomist1

John Broomfield

Fully retired...
Trusted
Autonomous vehicles also expect drivers to keep the driving skills sharp and instantly available for an unpredictable 1% of the time.

How these designs pass validation is a bit of a mystery to me.

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
I remember the first FBW ("fly by wire") aircraft and how many pilots who cringed at the idea of no direct controls (myself included).

It's not a choice any more than "self driving cars" are the future.

In the long run automation is good with the understanding that nothing is fail-safe at this point in time, nor do I personally believe anything will ever be totally fail-safe.

How these designs pass validation is a bit of a mystery to me.
Flight simulators.

John Broomfield

Fully retired...
Trusted
Flight simulators that give pilots nothing to do except randomly?

Or flight simulators that show what happens when pilot and copilot compete in trying to regain control of an aircraft?

Hopefully the simulator permutations are validated too.

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
Flight simulators that give pilots nothing to do except randomly?

Or flight simulators that show what happens when pilot and copilot compete in trying to regain control of an aircraft?
Both. Part of the whole idea is to present potential emergency and very "confusing" scenarios. Even flight simulators have to be validated.

In addition, when an aircraft is certified, before it can be sold, there are quite a few actual highly instrumented flights as a combination "verification/validation" of the actual aircraft. E.g.: Boeing 707 - Wikipedia - A very interesting case.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted
Even more sobering...for the “autopilot flight management system”, what did the DFMEA look like, how well was it vetted?

Top Bottom