Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Aircraft Cockpit Automation - Good or Bad

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Ronan... I will buy your idea when the automated system can land the aeroplane in the hudson river just like Captain Sully.....

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ronan... I will buy your idea when the automated system can land the aeroplane in the hudson river just like Captain Sully.....
Hollywood movies affect our perceptions in many ways but I wouldn't live by them:

1. How about all the disasters where Captain Human wasn't able to save the day, or worse, contributed to a worse outcome?
2. I'm still waiting for someone to make a movie about a computerised control system that operated as planned during a breakdown and prevented a disaster (probably happens all the time).

By the way I enjoyed that movie. As a movie. And yes, he's probably a great pilot and also had a bit of luck as well as a lot of experience. Salute.

As a former Flight Engineer on C-141’s, I especially abhor Pilots becoming a computer monitor. It can’t help but induce complacency in many candidates. Additionally as wages drop, turn around time reduces and days become longer the position will attract fewer exceptional people, I would like to think they would maintain minimum basic attitude, velocity and barometric indicators in the event of a total electrical shutdown

Randy

Super Moderator
...Sure humans will always take the right step to remedy in such a situation...?

Example (completely imaginary):
Nuclear reactor temperature automatically controlled.
Control system fails.
Temperature rises and approaches critical limit.
Human operator panics, disengages control system and applies maximum cooling.
Excessive cooling triggers unforeseen reaction.
Reactor fails.

More appropriate response: Redundant automated control system recognizes that at high probability the primary control system has failed, disengages primary system and takes over, applies moderate and appropriate cooling, day saved.

Automated systems aren't afraid of dying (well, yet) so less likely to panic when at risk to self.
Sometimes humans aren't afraid of death either and they'll take the one chance or option at hand

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
As a former Flight Engineer on C-141’s, I especially abhor Pilots becoming a computer monitor. It can’t help but induce complacency in many candidates. Additionally as wages drop, turn around time reduces and days become longer the position will attract fewer exceptional people, I would like to think they would maintain minimum basic attitude, velocity and barometric indicators in the event of a total electrical shutdown
It's been years, but used to fly. I have the same feelings. But then, I'm nostalgic. As I watched Notre Dame burn, I took out some pictures from the past and remembered Paris as I knew it in the 1960's - Little traffic, "hanging out" on the Left Bank - The bread, the lack of terrorist threats, not much traffic, no smog days.

At my age I see the reality which is the future will be driverless cars, airplanes with a tech or 2 on board (probably a ground tech as a "pilot"). I won't be alive to see this stuff, but climate change and population explosion aside, that is the future.

As a former Flight Engineer on C-141’s, I'm sure you know the history of aviation and how far it has come.

I remember my father, now long gone, would wax nostalgic from time to time when I was young. One of his favorites was telling me about the first time he ever saw an airplane fly over where he lived when he was young and telling me how amazing it was.

It will take time, but the future is continuous improvement in AI and the reduction (and in many areas the elimination) of human involvement in many, if not most, areas including aerospace related commercial transportation.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm currently reading a nonfiction book from 1988 where the author mentions that the global population is 5 billion. Now we're at over 7 billion and I read somewhere a prediction for 10 billion in 2050. I'll probably be EOL by then but still it's amazing (or shocking) that over the lifetime of our contemporaries the global population will double.

Unless Skynet takes over first...

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted
Agreed, Rutan's sketicism is well placed in the present scenario....clearly in my opinion, at some point in the MCAS process due diligence was inadequate and much more review by disinterested parties was is in order. Your thoughts?

Top Bottom