Aircraft 'Heavy' Passenger Jet Landing in 150 MPH Gusting Cross Wind

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
This was almost unbelievable. As a pilot, 'Go Arounds' are rare, and when they happen it's always a serious, 'moment of truth' incident. Talk about adrenalin...

I totally freaked out when I saw this. A beautiful recovery from a Life - Death situation. I thought I had seen some serious situations (like landing with one of the landing gear indicator lights not indicating DOWN and LOCKED). This was amazing... Cross wind landings in small aircraft are one thing. In an airplane this big, one rarely sees such a pronounced effect. But 150 mph gusts? Unbelievable they even attempted to land. The article says:
Huffington said:
Lufthansa jet, flying from Munich to Hamburg with 137 passengers, veering back and forth in 150 mile per hour gusting winds.

Aircraft 'Heavy' Passenger Jet Landing in Cross Wind.flv

This is a Flash file. If it doesn't play for you in your browser, download it and use VLC (The Best 'Plays Everything' Player there is!).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
I saw this on CNN this morning - amazing. In fact, when one passenger was see narrating the incident, I could sense the Life and Death sitaution from his face.

Great job done by the pilot that saved 137 lives. :applause:

A

andygr

The 150 miles per hour is a bit off
They reported up to 94KM/H or about 60mph winds around 2pm in HAM. No info yet on exactly how bad the winds did get but the pictures show it was bad enough.
A realy bad situation cover 2 differant aircraft doing a crabwalk not to mention all those pilots that wound up diverting that day
An A320 cliped off its wing tip. Have a link to a picture of the actual impact
Aircraft Wing Tip Hits Ruway

Here is a link to other clips of the same situation seen at various other locations and with other aircraft (Videos). http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f78_1184881277

They actual test for this during aircraft qualification.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Excellent. I know for small planes I flew 30 mph cross winds were 'interesting', to say the least. 'Slip' (aka 'crab') and try to straighten out right as you hit the cement and retract flaps at the same time. The problem came in where you seriously 'predicted' a potential 'Go Around', because you wanted those flap positions if you had to go around. You dump (retract) flaps to make the aircraft 'less flyable' with respect to speed when you hit the runway.

Yes, I saw that film yesterday. Whew... That was probably about as close as you can possibly get without actually ending up in a prang. Well done by the pilots to get out of such a sticky situation, but I also have to say that I think they should have aborted earlier than they actually did.

Btw: This must be very rare these days, what with all those technical whiz things around to assist the flight crew, but a few weeks ago I experienced an aborted landing for the first time in many years. The man in the front office made no attemt to explain it away: He told us straight out that he had bungled the landing by coming in too high and too fast... He also aborted early, which I find commendable.

How was the video captured. Another plane? Passenger?
It looks to me as if someone on the ground did it.

/Claes

Le Chiffre

Quite Involved in Discussions
Makes you wonder why these planes don't have all-wheel steering, then it could land crab-fashion and continue it's way down the runway with the nose still pointing into the apparent wind. :magic:

A

andygr

The guys getting these pictures are refered to as "plane spotters" they hang out at airports to capture pictures of the types of aircraft, paint schemes and when they know conditions are like they had reported looking for that "exciting" shot.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I am glad a tragedy was averted

By the way, Lufthansa expects that jet to be out of commission for a week. Just one day to inspect and replace the wing tip, but several days to replace the soiled seats in the main cabin...

B

Benjamin28

I remember back when I worked at the local international airport here we had a similar day, where for about 5 hours we had steady crosswinds of 45mph with gusts up to 80 or thereabouts. Watching the aircraft line up for approach was interesting, it looked like they were trying to do barrel rolls while doing a bee line approach...each one tried about 4 different times before diverting to New York...I couldnt help but imagine it must've been distressing to be aboard one of those aircraft.

The worst part was the construction for a new glycol recovery system (2 one million gallon tank installations) left a giant pile of dirt next to the excavation sites which was being blown across the entire airport. The fire department finally hosed it down with two of their crash trucks because pilots were having to brush piles of dirt out of the engines...man that was a strange day to be working on the tarmac lol. Looking at this video I wish I had been able to record some of the aircraft approaching that day, it looks similar, only imagine watching multiple aircraft do the same thing a couple times over. It makes you wonder how often safety is disregarded in order to make money.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna NASA to Develop a Novel Approach for All-Electric Aircraft Using Cryogenic Liquid Hydrogen as Energy Storage World News 2
optomist1 Aircraft Cockpit Automation - Good or Bad Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 71
A 3D Printing concept in airline to manufacture its own aircraft cabin parts EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
D How do I become an aircraft parts broker? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
I Advice Needed For EASA Approved Aircraft Mod EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
D Aircraft Coffee Maker Repair Bench Glassware Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Aircraft Certification System Evaluation Program (ACSEP) Audit - Who can trigger it? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
P Non EASA Aircraft - What is meant by Non EASA Aircraft? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
M Airworthiness Review - Aircraft Physical Survey EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
M Oxygen Data Logger that we can place with each shipment via aircraft ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Aircraft Maintenance Quality & Safety KPIs - Industry Trend or Database EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
A Can an EASA approved MRO release (EASA release) a non EASA registered Aircraft? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 2
A Aircraft Maintenance Quality & Safety KPIs - Industry Trend or Database Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
U The difference between ?Aircraft Return to Service? and ?Aircraft Airworthiness" Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
J Aircraft Bearing Manufacturer - Civil Aviation Requirements Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
C Which certificate do I need to manufacture Seat Covers for Aircraft Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 4
J AS9110 - The practice of Cannabalisation of Aircraft parts - Missed chance AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
apestate Are detailed blueprints or CAD drawings of aircraft available? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
A Maintenance of Aircraft Components - European Regulation Part 145 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 6
Q List of Certificates that should come with different Aircraft Parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
R Customer Audit - C.A.S.E. Standard 1-A vs. AS9110 - Aircraft Assemblies Maintenance AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
howste WIFI onboard an aircraft - Have you tried it? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 21
A Term paper on how an aircraft maintance facility can get its FAA certification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
C Form 1 EASA / Form 8130-3 tag - light aircraft with registration N EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
M Difference between Component Maintenance and Aircraft Maintenance Manual (CMM/AMM) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
A 787 Aircraft Photos and Video Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
D Aircraft Training Standard - TI-2000-01 Training for Heat Treat Personnel AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
Marc Aircraft Engine Maintenance at its best! Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 13
C Applicability of AS9100 to Aircraft Ground Support Equipment AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
F To be or not to be AS 9100? Non-aircraft equipment suppliers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
Marc Airline Crew Misses an Inspection - Aircraft Door Falls Off Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
D Aeronautical regulations JAR145, JAR21G - Aircraft ground handling AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
N Heavy tare to simulate high load in a routine sensitivity test of a floor scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Creating WIs for a Heavy Civil Engineering Services company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
D Production Strategy in Construction & Heavy Industries Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
G Heavy Civil Construction Company Implementing ISO 9001:2015 for Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Geoff Cotton What is the benchmark for Cost of Quality in a Heavy Engineering organization ? Benchmarking 2
K Building Heavy Pollution Factory next to Medical Device Factory (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Heavy Manufacturing Supplier QA - Building Units at a Supplier's Facility Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
G IMDS (International Material Data System) for Heavy Vehicles RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
D Information on Heavy Metal testing in Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
B Heavy Metals in Vehicles - New Technologies RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
R Heavy duty rust protection advice needed! Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
M DFMEA (Design FMEA) for Trailers or any heavy vehicle design Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
G PPAP 4? + IMDS - Heavy Metals Laws - Help RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
S Safety Procedure for Transport of Heavy Equipment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Heavy Truck 4th Edition PPAP forms needed APQP and PPAP 1
D Heavy Truck QMS Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
hogheavenfarm Rail Disabilities Act Requirements question (Passenger Entrances) - Anyone help? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Stijloor More airline passenger misery in the works Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 18