All Internally Generated Documents ? Required to be Controlled or Not All?

M

makaurag

All Internally Generated Documents – Required to be Controlled or Not All?

Hello everyone!

This is my first post. I’m new here. I registered because I found some posts very helpful and excellent. I feel that I am in the right place.

Please shed light on my first question. Is it a requirement that all internally generated documents must be controlled? I assume that people knew that I am referring to ISO 9001 since I am posting this in ISO 9001 – Quality Management Systems Standard discussion threads.

Thank you in advance.

Honestly, I’m not an expert but I will do my best to participate in the discussions, contribute and be able to help others.:D

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

brahmaiah

Re: All Internally Generated Documents – Required to be Controlled or Not All?

Welcome to Elsmar.You donot have to be an expert to be here.But you are sure to become an expert if you stay here long enough.
Now coming to your query, all documents of QMS are required to be controlled irrespective of their level.I presume here that you have a clear idea about what is a document and what is not.
V.J.Brahmaiah

M

makaurag

Thank you Barhmaiah for your quick response. Yes, I know what document is and the basics of ISO 9001 documentation. Since we are practicing ISO 9001, of course, we do have our quality policy and departmental quality objectives, policies and procedures, instructions, and other reference documents. These documents are part of our quality manual. However, there are other existing documents not part of our manual that can be found from different departments that are not controlled or if there are controls but not as sophisticated as documents that is part of our quality manual.

M

makaurag

May I post additional questions related to my previous posts. How would I explain to the rest of the organization members the significant and critical processes that need to be documented? As for processes that are documented already, how would I explain to them that it should be controlled per 4.2.3?

It should be in lay mans term for them to understand. Otherwise, they will not subscribe to the idea and they might feel that this is additional work.

I hope you could help me on this.

B

brahmaiah

Thank you Barhmaiah for your quick response. Yes, I know what document is and the basics of ISO 9001 documentation. Since we are practicing ISO 9001, of course, we do have our quality policy and departmental quality objectives, policies and procedures, instructions, and other reference documents. These documents are part of our quality manual. However, there are other existing documents not part of our manual that can be found from different departments that are not controlled or if there are controls but not as sophisticated as documents that is part of our quality manual.
Now you have come with a new information by saying that there are other documents in differant departments.If the 'other' documents you mention are related to product quality they should also be controlled.No document has a right to declare independence from control.
If a document is irrelevant to product quality or QMS it is not a QMS document.Can you give some examples of such documents existing in your departments?

M

makaurag

Now you have come with a new information by saying that there are other documents in differant departments.If the 'other' documents you mention are related to product quality they should also be controlled.No document has a right to declare independence from control.
If a document is irrelevant to product quality or QMS it is not a QMS document.Can you give some examples of such documents existing in your departments?
I think even if I won’t mention the specific documents you will still understand the situation correctly. I can say that these documents are relevant to QMS. But what is the degree of relevance needed to say that it should be controlled the way it should be? I would say that some documents are very relevant, slightly relevant, and some are not so relevant. Are the slightly relevant documents required to be controlled per 4.2.3? If so, I hope that it doesn’t have to be part of the quality manual. It can be controlled within the department level or functions. We don’t want to be swamped with documentation.

B

brahmaiah

I think even if I won’t mention the specific documents you will still understand the situation correctly. I can say that these documents are relevant to QMS. But what is the degree of relevance needed to say that it should be controlled the way it should be? I would say that some documents are very relevant, slightly relevant, and some are not so relevant. Are the slightly relevant documents required to be controlled per 4.2.3? If so, I hope that it doesn’t have to be part of the quality manual. It can be controlled within the department level or functions. We don’t want to be swamped with documentation.
A document is either controlled or not controlled, there are no 'less controlled' documents,'more controlled' documents or 'slightly controlled' documents.It is ok if they are departmentally controlled.But they shall be controlled.
We are discussing an immaginary problem because you have not given examples I had asked for. You must know we are spending our valuable time and resources.
V.J.Brahmaiah

M

makaurag

A document is either controlled or not controlled, there are no 'less controlled' documents,'more controlled' documents or 'slightly controlled' documents.It is ok if they are departmentally controlled.But they shall be controlled.
We are discussing an immaginary problem because you have not given examples I had asked for. You must know we are spending our valuable time and resources.
V.J.Brahmaiah
As much as I wanted to provide you the specific documents, I cannot because I am not the owner of those documents, thus I am not familiar and cannot even name them. As far as our group’s documents (QA group) are concerned, I am confident to say that all documents are controlled. As for other departments, do they have to have a documented procedure on control of documents internal to them apart from the centralized documented procedure on control of documents owned by DC? If yes, we will end up with more than one procedure on control of documents to be managed.

With regard to which documents needs to be controlled and which don't need, I found practical suggestions from similar threads.

The Cove is full of informative and engaging read.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

makaurag

A document is either controlled or not controlled, there are no 'less controlled' documents,'more controlled' documents or 'slightly controlled' documents.
V.J.Brahmaiah
I appreciate your replies but please don't get me wrong if I disagree with you on this. I didn’t say ‘less controlled’ documents, ‘more controlled’ documents, and ‘slightly controlled’ documents. I said ‘very relevant’, ‘slightly relevant’, and ‘not so relevant’. I take a strongly stand that there is such things as that.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Cove. I see you have run into the biggest problem of document control where each department has its own procedure. First, if the documents are related (in any degree) to your QMS, product quality, etc., they need to be controlled. So, if you are saying another department has a bunch of instructions on how to do things, yes, they need controlling. Forms that record data pertinent to quality assessment and results need to be controlled. If memos are being used to tell people how to do their jobs, that information needs to be included as instructions and controlled. Does that help?

We don't need to know what these documents you are talking about say, but if you could give us some description of the nature of them, it would be helpful so we could give better answers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Can You Internally Audit a Process You Own? Internal Auditing 25
C Method of Monitoring our Internally Produced Non-Conforming Products Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
T Are internally found Medical Device Software "Bugs" Complaints? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Sharing ISO Standards internally on company computers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Internally powered ME with non-conductive applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Isolation of Internally Powered (3.3 Vdc) ME Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Single Fault Condition for Internally Powered Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S Should Client Controlled Procedures be Controlled Internally by us as well? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R Referencing and Controlling Labels & Stickers used internally throughout Production Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
H How do we use AS9101D internally? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
A Internally Powered Medical Device and Dielectric Strength IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 17
D Means Of Protection of the Video OUT of an Internally powered device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
C How will I Internally Audit my BPO Center for ISO 9001:2000 Internal Auditing 8
J What PPM (Parts Per Million) targets do you use internally? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
B Calibration of "Z" class ring gauges internally using a CMM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
B Can I calibrate Optical Comparators internally? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
K Requirements for 2nd languages? I can't even audit them internally IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 59
A Gauges on pressure tank - What is the best way to calibrate a psi gauge internally? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
L Posting portion of standards internally? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Why internally audit ISO clauses for ISO 9001:2000? (Small company) General Auditing Discussions 16
E Wall Internal Auditor Training - Done internally Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
S Customer Generated Purchase Orders Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S Customer generated PURCHASE ORDERS Customer only sends Schedules ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D QMS Performance Based on how many NCRs were generated month to month Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
E How do you perform a GR&R for system software generated values? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Ovality and Flatness generated after Heat Treatment of Rolled Rings Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L Arima Output - Relationship between my raw data and the residuals generated Using Minitab Software 1
M ACPAC Accounting System Generated Forms - Part of ISO? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I New ERP system - Need Doc. Numbers for ERP generated PO's, Packing Slips, etc? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Digital Product Definition (DPD) - Computer generated drawings Software Quality Assurance 8
Y Measurement of Force (Newtons) generated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S Number of CAPAS (Corrective Preventive Action) Generated in a Company Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
I Does ISO 9001 requires the Control of All Records generated? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M System Level Root Causes for each individual CAR generated in the system? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 10
J Must accounting software generated forms be numbered? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Can anyone help with ESD Protection (PCBA)? How is ESD generated? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Control of Computer Generated Forms - TS 16949 requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Control of Computer Generated (Electronic) Forms - TS 16949 Control Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
Q CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Exam - Are Hand Generated Notes Allowed? Professional Certifications and Degrees 29
C Business Process Chart - Has anyone generated a top level business process chart? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Writing a procedure on how to store electronically (computer) generated records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
J Controlled information versus defined documents / records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D DQ documents of new equipment - Function specification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Q To set frequency to review documents in ISO 9001 7.5? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
S Mandatory documents vs shall "something" but without mandatory documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17