All-or-Nothing Rating System - Internal Audit Checklist - ISO 9001

N

ngaran

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]How, exactly, is internal audit rated? Counting number of non-conformities and rating auditees turns out to be difficult to define precisely (we've been arguing about it in the office for years). Our Audit Checklist summarizes requirements of ISO 9001 and our organization's own standards and compare it to system in action (the so-called actual practice). The department who owns the system or process is rated during internal audit. There are items (clauses) that can be rated as all-or-nothing. For example. People category 6.2.2 Competence, awareness and training. Even if you determined the necessary competence of personnel, you provided necessary trainings, you keep the records but failed to evaluate the effectiveness, your rating in “people category” is zero. I feel that all-or-nothing rating system is not fair because if you didn't meet single requirement out of all, the rating is “zero”.:mg:[/FONT]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
My first question would be 'who designed the rating system'? There is certainly no requirement in ISO 9001 to have a rating system.

Now, you may wish to have one but I agree that the scenario sounds a little harsh to get a zero when you indicate that 2 out of 3 criteria you list are being met.

Has the scoring for the rating system been defined, or is it down to personal judgement on the day?

jerry_Malaysia

Quite Involved in Discussions
the rating system was established before i joined the company.

ussually yes unless auditee is protesting.

I used to having the so-called all-or-nothing rating as well when i started ISO9001:2000 implementation back in year 2001. However, we have revised the rating to "grade 1-5" a couple of years ago in order to properly indicate the performance. Lately, we have revise it again because it was rather ambiguous.

There isn't any requirement for the rating system, so one should establish a rating system that is most effective and would benefits the organization most. If the rating system is not at all relevant, remove it.

N

ngaran

here isn't any requirement for the rating system, so one should establish a rating system that is most effective and would benefits the organization most. If the rating system is not at all relevant, remove it.
we need to measure things because we established quality objectives at each relevant function... everywhere within the organization. i think measuring things will drive strategic improvements. maybe the "all-or-nothing" thing is the only meaningless exercise. otherwise "audit rating system" is wrong way of measuring quality objectives.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S FAIR - If we have not produced a part in over 2 years, but nothing has changed AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
Q Non conformity, do nothing? Employee experiencing "hard times" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
pammesue We have done NOTHING toward the ISO 9001 transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
T From nothing to ISO 9001 compliant in 10 weeks ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
S True or False - The operating procedures have nothing to do with the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
H Does ISO 9001 have nothing to do with profitability? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
D Nothing New with the Satyam Scandal Imported Legacy Blogs 1
H Need some direction - I know nothing about ISO 9001 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
L MDD confomity assessment - ISO 13485 registration counts for nothing??? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D No Quality Manual, no Job Instructions - Nothing Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 6
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
S Power rating for medical devices in the US - Radiotherapy devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
P Detection rating for a user (surgeon) related failure mode in DFMEA APQP and PPAP 3
MrPhish Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R Determination of IP (International Protection Marking) Rating IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Supplier 8D Report-Rating Procedure Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 10
A Supplier Rating from SAP QM Module Data Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
B Third Party Service Provider Risk Rating Spreadsheet Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 1
Sean Kelley FMEA Visual Inspection Detection Rating FMEA and Control Plans 5
V Where to find Red/White Rust Rating Requirements? APQP and PPAP 4
L Flammability Rating - is FT4 a better rating than FT1? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
B FMEA Ranking Rating Best Practices FMEA and Control Plans 10
P Occurrence Rating in AIAG FMEA Manual 4th Edition FMEA and Control Plans 5
R How much Protective Current Rating of Building Branch Circuit should be considered? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
W Severity Rating CORRECTIVE ACTIONS - Opinions Wanted Please Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
P Risk Rating approaches (OHSAS 18001 - For Office Environments) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
S Smartphone based software with automatic "rating" from remote servers Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
T Enclosure Flammability Rating of Molded-In Custom Color Liquid Concentrates IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Determining Fuse Rating and Labeling - Medical Device Crash Cart IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M FMEA Occurrence Rating for Customer Claims (Complaints) FMEA and Control Plans 2
D Flame Rating for Internal Plastic Support inside of a Fire Enclosure IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
K Supplier Performance and Supplier Rating Process - AS9100 Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
J How to Increase Customer Satisfaction Rating? Customer Complaints 20
M Supplier Rating Form with Quality, Cost, Delivery wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C Supplier Performance Index (Spi) - Supplier Rating Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
S How to determine what rating an article falls under - 14 CFR Part 145 Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 5
L Gap in FMEA Occurrence Rating Standard FMEA and Control Plans 2
S About the rating of fuse - Can I employ 2 fuses of different rating in my equipment? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
A PFMEA (Process FMEA) Detection Rating - Actions to Reduce RPN FMEA and Control Plans 3
I Service Supplier Rating where Objective Pass/Fail Data is not Available Service Industry Specific Topics 7
V In Design FMEA, how to give Occurrence Rating? FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Detection Rating in PFMEA and Process Controls FMEA and Control Plans 6
M FMEA Rating Scales for the Insurance Industry FMEA and Control Plans 4
Q FMEA: Visual Detection Rating IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
Chennaiite FMEA Severity Rating for Potential Manufacturing Effect mentioned in the FMEA manual FMEA and Control Plans 9
R Supplier Rating System Ideas and Suggestions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
R Supplier Quality Rating Scorecard Template (excel spreadsheet) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
D How to use the Supplier Rating Calculator Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Supplier Quality Rating - What to evaluate Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
Chennaiite PFMEA rating - Occurence Rating and Detection Rating - Some clarification FMEA and Control Plans 15