Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Allowable End Gap of Split Lockwashers

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
This question came up today and I did not find much about it. Our SQA noticed what appeared to be a 1/16" gap at the end rings of a torqued 1/2" lockwasher. The gap was obviously larger than others nearby, some of which were almost no gap at all. I could not find a reference for this condition, can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
This question came up today and I did not find much about it. Our SQA noticed what appeared to be a 1/16" gap at the end rings of a torqued 1/2" lockwasher. The gap was obviously larger than others nearby, some of which were almost no gap at all. I could not find a reference for this condition, can anyone steer me in the right direction?
I can't find a standard reference anywhere. I did find this chart (PDF). Look at the bottom of the left column. No telling where that "specification" came from, unfortunately.

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks Jim, that is some help. I would expect maybe an engineering rule of thumb like "no more than the thickness of the washer", or something like that, but I have found very little on this. Other than some visual variation, I dont see an issue with this, but everyone has their own pet peeves. We sorted through the washer supply and changed out the wider ones, although from the spec sheet you included, looks like too tight would actually be more of an issue, since it would not lock properly. In this case, the customers 'perfect' washer would probably be more prone to failure than one with a larger gap!

Top Bottom