Alternatives to Customer Feedback Survey in ISO 9001

Deepu

Starting to get Involved
I work as the MR of an organization which is a fully owned subsidiary of a UK company in the education domain. We generally don't directly interact with the end customers (teachers in schools). So the customer feedback mechanism set up involved getting feedback from our UK counterparts who anyway directly interact with the end customer. We had used Customer Satisfaction Surveys (with 10 -12 parameters) for collecting feedback for a number of years. Then we switched to Net Promoter Scores (NPS) mainly because most teams were considered an extension of the UK team and many of the parameters used started becoming obsolete. Now my CEO is asking whether we can do away with the whole thing. I know that customer feedback is mandated, though 9001 doesn't say it has to be a survey. Would be great if someone in the group can share their insights on this. We do have separate complaint handling and defect tracking mechanisms. Would these be sufficient by themselves?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Good day Deepu,

What products or services do you provide?

I am not familiar with education systems in India, but I know that teachers in the U.S. are not typically empowered to select textbooks for use in the classrooms. Their curriculum is generally controlled by the school but they can write lesson plans. This has generated a good deal of frustration along with the requirement to be evaluated according to written test results.

I would like to better understand what you provide so I can offer relevant ideas.

I work as the MR of an organization which is a fully owned subsidiary of a UK company in the education domain. We generally don't directly interact with the end customers (teachers in schools). So the customer feedback mechanism set up involved getting feedback from our UK counterparts who anyway directly interact with the end customer. We had used Customer Satisfaction Surveys (with 10 -12 parameters) for collecting feedback for a number of years. Then we switched to Net Promoter Scores (NPS) mainly because most teams were considered an extension of the UK team and many of the parameters used started becoming obsolete. Now my CEO is asking whether we can do away with the whole thing. I know that customer feedback is mandated, though 9001 doesn't say it has to be a survey. Would be great if someone in the group can share their insights on this. We do have separate complaint handling and defect tracking mechanisms. Would these be sufficient by themselves?
The simple answers are: No, defect tracking isn't about the "perception of requirements being met" (to paraphrase the standard) and why not speak directly to the "customer"? Is management interested in learning (pardon the pun) what they really think?

T

Tyler C

Hi Deepu
I too have struggled with how to capture Customer Satisfaction. There is a note in the 2008 version of the standard that says
"Monitoring customer perception can include obtaining input from sources such as customer satisfaction surveys, customer data on delivered product quality, user opinion surveys, lost business analysis, compliments, warranty claims, and dealer reports."
We tried making "lost business analysis" work but due to the dynamic industry we are in, customer satisfaction is only one of many reasons why we could lose business. So, we have decided to use our on-time ship record and warranty claims for our customer satisfaction measures.

I'm not sure if either of these would work for your company, but they are gladly accepted by our auditor. Hope this helps.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

Check this formula and let me know if it helps you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Alternatives to time apps (mobile applications)? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
C Alternatives to ISO-9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J0anne Alternatives to 'Latex Free' Labelling Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
L New Website from the FDA concerning UDI Exceptions, Alternatives and Time Extensions Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
B Alternatives to Google Reader - is Feedly a good option? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
A Thailand - Certificate of Free Sale Alternatives Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 18
G ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 Tamper Seals - Alternatives to Tamper-Proof Seals ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Web based file sharing i.e. Dropbox for Doc Control - Comments/Alternatives? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Medical Device Class IIa Nonsterile ISO 13485 Alternatives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Alternatives to GR&R (Gage R&R) - Only 4 sample parts and one operator Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 22
Bilijaf "Controlled" stamp for Controlled Documents - Any alternatives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
Ron Rompen Alternatives to welding two pieces of aluminum extrusion together at a miter joint Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Power Outage During Sample Conditioning - What Alternatives are Available? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
8 Gage Track Calibration Software Alternatives Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
R Looking for alternatives to ISO 9001 accreditation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 41
A Shuttle Foam Question - Alternatives? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
S Controlling external processes - Alternatives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P Gage R&R and non-normal distribution - Alternatives to a standard gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
R Alternatives to the Title of 'QUALITY' Career and Occupation Discussions 51
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
B Retention Samples when Customer Leaves Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Email Template that go to a customer and then get returned to us for RMA/Warranty Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
D IATF16949 - Interpretation of Customer Requirements clauses Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
S Obligation to accept customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Customer Satisfaction importance in companies with Government/Public Administration as main customer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Who is the customer in the ISO/IEC 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
S Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S How to treat a customer complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I ISO 9001:2015 Section 9.3.2 C1 "customer satisfaction and feedback from relevant interested parties" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
JoCam Labeling to Customer Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5