Alternatives to ISO-9001?

C

ChuckawallaJoe

I'm not unhappy with ISO-9001--except for the archaic, quality geek, legalistic, sorry-English-is-my-second-language writing--but I just wonder if there are any alternatives out there?

I know ISO-9001 is the popular leader, but is there something else that a company could build an entire quality system around? Is there any competition at all? Something from SAE, National Standards Institute or the Brits?

Thanks.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Have you seen the next version yet? It is due to come out in Q4 this year and reads substantially differently than you're used to.

J0anne

Joanne
You don't have to use an industry standard, you can design your own QMS. However, 9001 certification is a very useful marketing tool.

AndyN

Moved On
I'm not unhappy with ISO-9001--except for the archaic, quality geek, legalistic, sorry-English-is-my-second-language writing--but I just wonder if there are any alternatives out there?

I know ISO-9001 is the popular leader, but is there something else that a company could build an entire quality system around? Is there any competition at all? Something from SAE, National Standards Institute or the Brits?

Thanks.

I "lol'd" when I read this! The Brits had something called "BS" - it was the basis of ISO 9001! BS 5750...

Have you heard of the Baldrige Award. That's an alternative. Or a state's equivalent, like the Lincoln Award, for Illinois.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

Thanks.

Joe,

Why ignore your national quality management system standard?

As prize award criteria, the alternatives are not standards.

But you could choose to make sure your management system conforms to these other criteria too, if doing so would benefit your organization's stakeholders.

John

P

PaulJSmith

ISO 9001 isn't always perfect for everyone. Like all standardized things, it's a compromise. However, it really does cover pretty much all the basics that a successful company should be doing. With that in mind, I suspect that any other competitive standard you might find would very closely resemble 9001.

You can build your QMS around anything you like. If you plan to certify it, though, your options are less vast.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

Thanks.

Can you provide an example of your statement "except for the archaic, quality geek, legalistic, sorry-English-is-my-second-language writing". It would help us identify better tools / instruments and other sources for you to follow.

Be advise that ISO 9001 standards are also required from customers in order to do business with your company so your choices may be limited.

Top Bottom