Aluminium Die Casting DFMEA example wanted

A

akhsan

Dear all

Now we have porosity problem in alluminium part. And we find a solution for this problem by creating DFMEA to define the real cause.

But I'm confuse how to define the occurance value? Because we validate the possible cause by simulation software.

for example.

We thought that this problem caused by hot spot area on the aluminium die casting duo to worse cooling system.
So we made simulation by changing the cooling system and the result seen that hot spot become smaller than previous.
So how to judge the occurance value for above possible cause?

Thank you for your kind answer.

Best regards
Akhsan
Jakarta

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Are you looking for help with a process problem? I'm not knowledgeable in aluminum but I thought porosity was a process issue, not a design issue. Maybe someone else here can speak about Aluminum Porosity

A

akhsan

Thanks Marc, but we know that aluminum porosity especially in High pressure die casting also be able caused by worse design it self not only process.

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Thanks Marc, but we know that aluminum porosity especially in High pressure die casting also be able caused by worse design it self not only process.
Couple of things I wanted to mention (Hope you are aware)

When PFMEA is done, the Product design is not to be suspected and vice versa. Based on your posts, you seem to be suspecting the Product design for the Failure mode-Porosity, if I am correct. But Design being based on the Material, dimensional, functional, performance requirements, the process designer shall achieve the Porosity target with the given product design. Nevertheless, if you really suspect the Product design and look forward to modifying the same, which seems to be exactly your case, the product requirements shall also be taken into account, apparently.

Now coming back to your original question of setting up Occurrence value, you know for yourself what percentage of Casting was rejected for porosity due to wrong design, before you reacted with corrective action. For example, if you had produced 1000 castings and 50 rejected due to porosity due to wrong design, the rating is 9 as per AIAG manual.
Clarify me, if I am wrong.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Dear all

Now we have porosity problem in alluminium part. And we find a solution for this problem by creating DFMEA to define the real cause.

But I'm confuse how to define the occurance value? Because we validate the possible cause by simulation software.

for example.

We thought that this problem caused by hot spot area on the aluminium die casting duo to worse cooling system.
So we made simulation by changing the cooling system and the result seen that hot spot become smaller than previous.
So how to judge the occurance value for above possible cause?

Thank you for your kind answer.

Best regards
Akhsan
Jakarta
I'm not sure it's a good idea to do an ex post facto DFMEA. You're closing the barn door when the horse is two miles down the road. The best thing to do, imo, is not be concerned with the S-O-D ratings because they're relative, not absolute. What you need to do is consider all of the variables (from the design and process) that could contribute to the problem at hand and evaluate them one at a time. The likelihood of one cause or another being the culprit is a matter of experience, part geometry, tool construction and process variables, so the way that you home in on probable causes and remedial actions won't be helped by saying that one is a six and another's an eight.

A

akhsan

Thanks Chennaiite

I think We are talking about different thing. The design that I have mentioned was the die casting die design it self (tool/mold for making part), not product design. Cause we cant change the given product design. We are die/mold maker, so the quality of part that produce by our die/mold depend on my design,the runner lay out, cooling channel lay out etc influence the result part. To achieve the part requirement quality (including no porosity), we take some die/mold design simulation software to place runner, and cooling channel. But now, we found that by using my die/mold design produce part with high rejection rate by porosity.

So we want to check again our die/mold design to get the root cause that make high rejection.

May be it can be a few information to know what the real problem I get.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Helical Cooling for Aluminium Die Casting Dies Information wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J New at aluminium die casting process (injection, trimming, spc, finish, defects) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J IMDS submission details for aluminium wrought alloys APQP and PPAP 4
S What is the service temperature of Polysurlyn Laminated Aluminium Alloy 3105? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
kedarg6500 Selection of proper modifying agent for Aluminium Silicon Alloy Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
kedarg6500 A380 Aluminium Elongation & Specific Gravity Min OR Max Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
D Calibration Frequency of Thread Gages use for Aluminium and Stainless Steel Products Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
W Aluminum Riveting - Process specification for joining aluminium sheets AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
D Bulk Suppliers - Design FMEA Required? Aluminium ingots FMEA and Control Plans 10
P Thread Quality in Aluminium - Problems with the threads stripping out Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Tips on Stat. Techniques in Bulk Material Process?Reduction of alumina to Aluminium Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Sampling Plan for Alumin High Pressure Die Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M CQI-9 monitoring of temperature in die Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
S IATF 16949 7.1.5.1.1 Measurement System Analysis (MSA - Die casting) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A Aluminum Die Casting Product Traceability Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
somashekar Adhesive Seepage from Die Cut Parts Edge Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
kedarg6500 Availability of 5/8" 17.75 TPI Thread Ring Gauge & Die Nut Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Z Stamping Press Die Specification Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Hershal 19 "Hot Shots" Fire Fighters Die fighting Arizona Fire World News 1
V When to Notify Customer about Die Modification APQP and PPAP 4
V Query on TS 16949:2009 Certification for a Tool and Die Sales & Service office IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Inspecting a Profile Tolerance for a Die Cut Gasket Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
F FMEA Optimization for our Die Setup Process FMEA and Control Plans 2
V PPAP 7 of 8 Cavities after an injection mold die repair? APQP and PPAP 7
D FMEA for Laser Cutting of Die Cast parts in AM60B Magnesium FMEA and Control Plans 1
J Causes of Porosity of Die-Castings and How to Improve Die-Casting Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
A Tool and Die Manufacturing Job Progress Tracking Tools / Spread Sheets Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
A Powder Coating Chipping for Aluminum Die Casting Parts Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
T PFMEA of Die casting Process--Help needed? FMEA and Control Plans 5
S "Acceptable" PPM Level for Aluminum Die Casting Benchmarking 3
A Seeking a Die Casting Supplier in China - Guangdong, Zhejiang and Jiangsu Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
N In Process Control checksheet for Die Cutting (eg. carton) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J Salt Spray Test on 3 year old Zinc Die Casting Chromed part per ASTM B 117-03 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T How can I streamline a corrugating firm especially in tool and die making Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
L Work Instructions for One Time Tool Build - Tool and Die Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P Variables Gage R&R study for 8 Cavities tool - Die casting industry Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
P Generic Label Die Cutting Process flow Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T Die Cutter for Kevlar Fabric Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
B Electronics Die Component - Military Standard 883 vs. MIL STD 750 TM2010 B. Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S How can I die cut foam - I'm thinking of a simple hand machine? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
A Process or Work Instruction (WI) to Change a Progressive Stamping Die Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
W How can I deterime the load of the DCM? Die cast machine loading Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
B Can a Die Machine & Repair Shop be Certified to TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Melt flow tests using a "half die" Any suggestions? Plastic pellets Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Casting defect in brass gravity die casting - Manufacturer of taps, faucets Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
I Lean in the Tool and Die Industry (Job Shop) - Applying Lean in "one-off" production Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
D Single Minute Exchange of Die - Preparing to launch a SMED project Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
P Die (Press Tool) Manufacturing Process Key Indicators (KPI) Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A Quality Initiatives Die Out - What Can We Do to keep Them Going? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
M Tooling management - Drawing change control for tool and die drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1