Always one root cause?

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hello everybody

In my company as normal actions when a corrective action is solved, we always do the next.
we start by using the fishbone, detecting possible root causes, after going deeper, we determined that
causes of the problem were two causes.
In our procedure we include two root causes found and based on this, defined action plans.
From this assumption, I have to two doubts.
1-Could exist several root causes, or must be only one?
2-I know the actions have to be focused to eliminate root causes but....
Could I include other actions which it seems are not directly related but is done
to reinforce the efforts to eliminate any cause?
Example of problem:
Frequent bad inspection of product, which cause rejects.
needs a corrective action.

Possible root causes
-Competency, failed instruments, room for inspection with low intensity light, over inspection and limited time, working in two shifts.
-After more analysis, were determined were only
two root causes: working in two shifts and competency.
-Action plans: to give full training and working only one shift.
Could I also add an additional plan which could reinforce the performance of inspections
although are not related to root causes?
for instance to improve the room conditions, light clean, 5s's applied,etc.

Please share your thoughts

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Why is working in two shifts a root cause? Why is low light over inspection a possible root cause? Brighter light would only improve detection and not eliminate the problem.

Bad inspections do not cause rejects unless the inspection process introduces defects. Building product incorrectly cause defects.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
You need to address at least one root cause although there may be more. Lets imagine you have one true root cause but your process drives you to address two (one true and one not true). It's not ideal but it's likely to be a continuous improvement.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
There is so much to say about this.

First yes you can have more than one root cause. In fact I've started using the term causal mechanism as it is less singular. Causal systems are never flat and rarely linear with only main effects. Interactions are all too common where there are at least two factors that must interact. Often there are conditions for failure that interact with some factor or defect that results in a failure. Certainly there is room for more discipline by adding actions that will create a more conducive environment in general to reduce defects (5S, better visual aids, standard work)

We also have to remember that there is the physical cause of the defect or failure, there is the escape cause to be concerned with and sometimes we are concerned about the system failure that allowed those two causes to occur.

Next: I have to echo what others have said. inspection doesn't cause defects. it may allow them to escape through non-detection. From what you've given us I can't see that you have identified any true causes... I would want to hear a better problem statement. Is this a visual inspection or some measurement process? is it 100% or a sample size? How did you prove your causes? what data did you have? I really don't see that two shifts can cause anything. Also what do you mean by competency?

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company

First yes you can have more than one root cause. In fact I've started using the term causal mechanism as it is less singular. Causal systems are never flat and rarely linear with only main effects. Interactions are all too common where there are at least two factors that must interact. Often there are conditions for failure that interact with some factor or defect that results in a failure. Certainly there is room for more discipline by adding actions that will create a more conducive environment in general to reduce defects (5S, better visual aids, standard work)

We also have to remember that there is the physical cause of the defect or failure, there is the escape cause to be concerned with and sometimes we are concerned about the system failure that allowed those two causes to occur.

Next: I have to echo what others have said. inspection doesn't cause defects. it may allow them to escape through non-detection. From what you've given us I can't see that you have identified any true causes... I would want to hear a better problem statement. Is this a visual inspection or some measurement process? is it 100% or a sample size? How did you prove your causes? what data did you have? I really don't see that two shifts can cause anything. Also what do you mean by competency?
I took a class including root cause analysis. The instructor took us through a root cause analysis of the dinosaur extinction event. Was it the location of the asteroid impact? The speed? Was our atmosphere not thick enough to slow down the asteroid or incinerate it enough? too little water coverage? Too much? Was the Sun inadequate in steering the asteroid away or was it the proximate cause? What about the gravity well of Jupiter? Where did the asteroid come from? Was it loose matter from the Big Bang. Was the root cause dinosaurs ate plants that require sunlight? We determined we could address all of these things to prevent another extinction event from asteroid impacts.

Without a better problem statement its tough to help you.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

I agree. I use the term causal system. Bev, I think I recall you mentioning the ThinkReliability approach once. There are a number of examples on their website that illustrate the approach. You can have multiple causes and corrective action is viewed as defense in depth.

Note: I am not affiliated with the company, but recommend the underlying thought process.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I used to give an in-house Problem Solving course some years ago. Typically we would take internal nonconformances and 're-investigate' them. We would often come up with 3 or 4 'root causes'. Then we would try to drill down to a 'true' root cause. Many times no definite single 'root cause' could be identified.

See: Effective Problem Solving - Six Problem Solving Fundamentals

Index of /Cove_Premium (look for Problem Solving and 8-D files).

and

Index of /Cove_Members

and https://elsmar.com/Cove_Members/8-D Problem Solving Guide Rev G3.pptx

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
Stoic Manual soldering processes - 100% verifiable, or always requiring validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
M User manual / instructions for use for class II device always required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
K Is Mold qualification / process validation always required? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
D Is formulative testing always required IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
K Do Forms and Templates ALWAYS become Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
N Witty (snarky?) Responses: Always have one prepared Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 25
howste AS9100 Rev D Clause 10.2 - Is Cause always required? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 39
M Does there always have to be a "correction?" Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
N Do new requirements always need a validation? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
M FDA 21 CFR 820.250 - Does "valid statistical" always mean math? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
B Is SPC data For Special Characteristics always required? TS 16949 clause 8.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Is Notification of the Test Laboratory always necessary for Supplier Changes? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
Jim Wynne APQP, or Why Things Always Go Wrong APQP and PPAP 0
R Always Internal Audit all Line Items of applicable FDA Regulations? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
O Is SPC (Statistical Process Control) always required? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Problems with Supplier - Always with 100% Sorting - No Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
P CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) in TS 16949 Audits - Always required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 27
A PFMEA a 'Live' Document and should always have Open Actions FMEA and Control Plans 15
A In-Process Inspection Results ALWAYS With PPAP? APQP and PPAP 8
G AS9100C Upgrade Audit - 4.1c&f - The "Always" NCR? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 15
S Ppk & Cpk - Within Subgroup Variation is always smaller than Total Variation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
M Is a Significant Aspect always a Significant Aspect? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
Z Isn't 'Improvement Always' a meaningful work? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Q CAPA (Corrective Action and Preventive Action) after Correction always? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
Q Corrective Action - Disposition always Correction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Scrap + Replacement always? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Why Cp should always be greater than Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
P Must Key Product/Process Characteristics (KPC's) always be variables? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
R Does IVD 510k application always goes to pre-IDE and IDE process? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R Why is the first bid quotation always rejected Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
W Internal Auditor always on duty? Internal Auditing 8
Q Purchasing mapped if not always participate? Is Purchasing a Support System? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Is Six Sigma always Green? The Impact of Six Sigma Six Sigma 8
E Correction and Corrective Action - ALWAYS DOCUMENT BOTH Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
M Special Cause Variation ALWAYS human related? Six Sigma 6
G Is Medical Grade Gas always a drug? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
M Do nonconformances always result in corrective action ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 67
L FMEA - Should a severity of 9 or 10 be always followed by recommended actions? FMEA and Control Plans 2
Marc Acronym FORD Acronyms (aka 'Initialisms' - Not Always True Acronyms) List Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 17
S Welding - Is welding always a special process per ISO9001:2000 Clause 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
Icy Mountain Answering a Finding that is Not? Work instructions are not always followed IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Jim Wynne Another reason why things always go wrong Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
A Customer is always right Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 34
H Does a Nonconforming Material Report always generate a Corrective Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
H 7.6 investigation - Do most operations always record the gage# on all test reports? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
Claes Gefvenberg Is the customer always right? Personally, I strongly disagree. Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 47
D Production before Quality - Is the Customer Always Right? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
D Root Cause for Missed Audits Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1