An example of 'Management by Numbers' from the British NHS

M

M Greenaway

Management by Numbers

An example of 'Management by Numbers' from the British NHS.

Are we in for more of this sort of argument with ISO9001:2000's requirements for monitoring and measurement of processes - will it all descend into debate about where the figures came from ??

Deming would be turning in his grave :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2818655.stm

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
N

NYHawkeye - 2005

My favorite is how the airlines have now added "extra" flight time to their schedules so in case they leave late they can still arrive "on time".

Another example of how not to use metrics/objectives to improve customer service. :mad:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Martin's article said "And the Audit Commission found the two-week waits for patients with suspected breast cancer were well managed."

I don't know what the wait is in the US, but it seems to me like torture to wait 2 weeks to see a doc if you have suspected cancer of ANY type. (And the liberals are worried about torturing KSM!)

As far as airlines adding flight time to help their on-time numbers: I'm told Disney, in their parks, have done this for years and it is one of their keys to being the highest-rated parks in satisfaction regarding waiting-time for rides. They clearly state how long a wait is for a given ride, so people feel informed, but they also overstate it so people get to the ride "earlier" than they thought they would. It is using the psychology of "underpromise and overdeliver", and people seem to love it.

Martin,

We had an interesting situation around here a few years back: It turned out that some wards fiddled the waiting lists to seem longer than they actually were! Why? Because they were funded acc. to the expected amount of work...

...the bean counters rule... :rolleyes:

/Claes

F

F Dumas

At the basic, measurement of processes is directly linked to what is your "values" - time, cost, efficiency, etc. I think the ISO standard is vague on the measurement notion for this purpose.

Hopefully, management will have given their strategic goals and measurements will follow those goals. After that, it's up to you to decide if improvement of a process is required or wished.

At the end, statistics means nothing if values are not set - everybody can play with numbers!

Frank

N

NYHawkeye - 2005

Mike S. said:

It is using the psychology of "underpromise and overdeliver", and people seem to love it.
Yes - I see many companies that are experts at using "underpromise and overdeliver" tactics. It can be a key strategy for improving customer satisfaction if used carefully.

The risk is that you have to be sure that you are measuring and performing on the metric(s) that are really important to the customer.

Disney seems to understand that customers might not actually care how long they are in line but never want to be in line longer than anticipated. For me, being asked to get to the airport earlier in anticipation of a late departure so that the airline gets credit for an on time arrival is a joke.

It reminds me of the buyer who thinks that they can fix chronically late deliveries from a problem supplier by simply asking them to deliver earlier!

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
All I need to know, I learned from Star Trek!

My goodness!...can it be true?!?!...was Gene Roddenberry right from the very beginning!

Scotty's words of advice were to take you estimated time to repair and multiply it by 3...that way, you're always a Miracle Worker!

Once again, Star Trek demonstrates how it has impacted our culture and "way of thinking." :vfunny:

N

NYHawkeye - 2005

Re: All I need to know, I learned from Star Trek!

RCBeyette said:

Once again, Star Trek demonstrates how it has impacted our culture and "way of thinking." :vfunny:

Perhaps those demonstrating for peace today have taken a lesson from how Spock dealt with the Horta!

"I'm a doctor Jim - not a bricklayer."

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: All I need to know, I learned from Star Trek!

RCBeyette said:

Scotty's words of advice were to take you estimated time to repair and multiply it by 3...that way, you're always a Miracle Worker!
This is my standard operating procedure. I have been using this method around here for over 8 years, and still, no one has caught on....LOL.

Scotty's the best.

RCB and Hawkeye...check out the Ferengi Rules of Aqusition here for more on ST

http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6012

Gene new a lot more about the human condition than most doctors.

CarolX

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Configuration management clarification and example AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
H ISMS (information security management system) Manual ISO27001:2013 Example wanted IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
K Example of ISO 10007 - Configuration Management Plan AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C AS9103 Variation Management Example Procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Project Management Due Diligence Procedure example wanted Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S KPI for Q&EHS Management System example wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Configuration Management Form example(s) wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
SATHYABALARAMAN ISO Systems Annual Report to Top Management example wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
C Quality Management Plan example wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
C Example of Management Review Meeting Minutes - ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
G Management Review Procedure example wanted Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S Crisis Management Process and Procedure or Flow Chart example wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D AS9100C Risk Management Procedure Example AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 111
A Resource Management Procedure example wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D AS9100 Configuration Management Procedure example wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K Risk Management Policy example and advice wanted ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
S Management (Quality) Plan for Sewing Workshop example needed Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
S Management Representative - Example procedure needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
K Management Review Schedule example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 33
S Environmental Management System (EMS) Employee Handbook example wanted Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
D Risk Assessment - Problem Management Process - Seeking Model/Example Software Quality Assurance 1
P EMS (Environmental Management System) ISO 14001 Audit example wanted ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
V Integrated Management System Audits Schedule - Advice and Example needed. General Auditing Discussions 10
P Supplier Modification Management procedure example wanted Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
S Process Map example for Management, Provision and Product Realization Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
J Management Review Checklist - Seeking a form or example Management Review Meetings and related Processes 7
Q An extreme but realistic example of bad management - A funny story found online Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 5
S Seeking: Example TS 16949 QMS (Quality Management System) Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
Q Example of the Risk Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Risk managment report of Surgical Mask Example ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N Post Market Surveillance Package Example Wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Redacted 510(k)s - Example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
F Hi friends, can anyone show me an example of a procedure for ISO 13485 6.4.1 Work Environment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
M An example of risk analysis of class I MD ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 36
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 39
D Monitoring and measuring resources - Example of how section ISO 9001 7.1.5 would apply to a manufacture of software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Validation of existing equipment - Risk based approach example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A ISO/TS 22163 Item 5.2.4 Safety policy - Example wanted Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
I Functional Safety Analysis/Report Example IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
H Man Hour Plan 145.A.30 example needed EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
R Real Example of a currently marketed Procedure Pack CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
D Example for Accessories of "Annex XVI non-medical devices" and how to classify it now with respect ot EU MDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
MichaelDRoach Oganization's Self Declaration of Conformance to ISO 28000 wording example wanted Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1