An Internal Auditor Quit - What can I do?

F

Fire Girl

Hello all.

I am a little peeved. One of my internal auditors quit. I had a feeling she might. She's currently involved in a bit of a political thing with management. She hasn't really been doing her audits (i've noticed). But she leaves me in a bit of a bind because the other 2 auditors are the quality manager and I. We can't audit the areas we give to the Quitter because we are responsible for them. What can I do? I have a maintenance audit in a couple of months. I know that I have to train another auditor, but meanwhile back at the ranch....

Any suggestions?
:ko: :mad: :ko: :mad: :ko: :mad:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
See if your local ASQ chapter has an audit consortium and see if someone from there needs audit hours or simply contract it out.

If there is a time element that is borderline where you think you can get someone trained but the audit will be a month or two late - call your registrar and see if they'll 'be understanding'.

8.2.2 does not set a requirement for 1 year audit minimums - QS-9000 does. Whilst some auditors might try to attack you citing another clause - don't let them. There is no set audit frequency. It is quite normal for audits to be postponed for one reason or another.

Some thoughts on this can be found at http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?threadid=2390

Another good one is http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?threadid=2392

Another thread you might find enlightening is http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?threadid=2296

One specifically on schedules is http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?threadid=2257

J
Auditor Quit

Firegirl,

How have your previous maintenance audits gone? If the areas she audited have a pretty good history, then I don't think you should have too much trouble. Just explain the situation to the auditors.

Is there someone else in the company sho can step up (at least temporarily) and do the audits? It has been my experience that most, reasonably intelligent people can be taught the basics of a process audit in a fairly short time.

I'm sure others will have better input, but I hope this helps.

James

:bigwave:

A

Al Dyer

Fire Girl,

Remember one thing, internal audit can be done by an outside auditor. Nowhere does it say the internal auditor must be employed within the company.

If you are in Ontario I am close to you and could help you if you e-mail me.

I have encountereed many companies that are contracting internal audit due to the pressure of taking time from employees that are better used in other areas of their expertise.

Even an internal auditor has a "built in" bias in my opinion.

Say I am the internal auditor and my best friend is the manufacturing manager, how much bias is going to influence the audit. At best zero, but usually a certain percentage.

Hope this helps!

E

energy

Me too

Fire Girl,

Maybe I can drive up from Connecticut to help on your audits:biglaugh:
Anything to help out a "buddy":bigwave:
Then again, maybe not.:thedeal:
Select from within. Give them a short quiz. Like, what's your name, Anyway? Do dogs bark? Do bears .... in the woods? What's down the road, a piece? :ko: No, all kidding aside: It's management's problem. Someone has to step up. Post for volunteers and you may get a surprise. Failing that, Mgt. has to "appoint" the lucky candidate.
:smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fire Girl

energy

Where are you? I've been waiting for 2 days for you to come and help me audit!! You'd better be here soon........ or else you'll have to be punished.... :ko:

I know it's managements problem, but I still have to be the one to explain to my auditor why audits are not completed or why they are behind or whatever. Believe me, when I have an auditor in the house, my management team is goodness knows where.:(

Oh well. I guess I'll just suck it up and come up with something.

Later.

Peace out.:cool:
Fire Girl

E

energy

Let Go!

Fire Starter
In my previous life, I worked in a place very similar to yours. It was a sheet metal stamping house fabricating brackets and stuff for the Aircraft industry. At one time we had 10 people trained, by an outside accredited institution (ha ha), but they were always too busy to do their assigned audits. I simply placed them on “reserve” when needed. We were able to conduct audits with half the people. They were actually hurt that they weren’t needed. Management did not give anybody the option of not becoming an auditor, they were assigned, but they also put product before the auditing and allowed the system to deteriorate to the point that all one had to say is that they were too busy for auditing and it was allowed. Take someone from your office with a good history for accuracy and “assign” them. After all, my understanding of ISO, is that it is everybody’s responsibility, not just yours. Take a load off, kick back and put your feet up on the desk and delegate, delegate-dance to the music! :smokin:

D

David Mullins

Of course you can!

A quick scan of the thread didn't reveal what I thought was the obvious answer.
The difference between 1994 and 2000 in auditing is that you are now given the latitude to audit your own area, just not your own work. Surely that allows you to cover the audit schedule until you get at least one more auditor.

If you get an external audit against 1994 then point out that you are moving towards the 2000 standard, it gives you that latitude to do this, plus you are following the resource requirements guff in the standard (get something recorded in some minutes so you can wave it in their faces as objective evidence that management has come to this solution). At worst they'd call it an observation.

Hope it helps.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by Fire Girl
energy

You'd better be here soon........ or else you'll have to be punished.... :ko:
Promise or threat? :thedeal:

J

Jim Biz

Our Solution

We have a similar situation at our place - EVERYONE too busy to audit after trainng (top management sees to it they are too busy and endorses the practice)

My current solution - hired outside auditors to complete the cycle for this year... - when auditing 4.17 the lack of internal resources and managements decision to use outside auditing to complete internal audits was documented & sigened off by "the powers that be". :thedeal:

The final result will remain in the hands of our external auditor who "strongly suggested 5 to 6 "active internal auditors should be made available during the last external audit.

"time will tell":lick:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Internal Auditor Competency - Product Auditors Internal Auditing 9
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
D Impartiality of Internal Auditor ISO 9001/13485 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M IATF 16949 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency - Trainer's competency Internal Auditing 7
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
QAQT Internal Auditor competence for ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
S IATF 16949: Is "Certified" Internal Auditor mandatory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
J Your opinion on the better training org for IATF16949 Internal auditor and Lead Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q Internal Auditor Training requirements for ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
E Informational I would like to get some Internal Auditor Training Internal Auditing 31
Q What is the difference between normal and licensed internal auditor? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 9
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
A ISO 13485 - Internal Auditor Independence and Process Owners ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q AS 9100D internal auditor training requirements Internal Auditing 16
A Other Discussion Boards - Internal Auditor Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
E Online training for an internal auditor to AS9120B AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q Internal Auditor Trainer's Requirement Internal Auditing 4
D IATF 16949 - Internal Auditor Training/Certification Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
R Internal Auditor vs. Public Accountant - Accounting Student Needing Help Career and Occupation Discussions 4
C IATF 16949 Cl. - 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C IATF 16949:2016 Cl. 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 39
Q IATF 16949 Cl. 7.2.3 - Internal Auditor Competency and Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R Internal Auditor auditing Internal Audit Procedure (AS9100) Internal Auditing 18
Q How can an Internal Auditor Trainer's Competency be Evaluated - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
H ISO/IATF Internal Auditor Recommendations For Manufacturer In California, USA Internal Auditing 3
Casana 2nd Party and Internal Auditor Qualifications & Training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
P Problem with IATF 16949 Clause 7.2.3 Requirements (Internal Auditor Competency) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Competency of Trainer for Internal Auditor Training (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
C ISO 13485:2016 - Internal Auditor Training vs. Lead Auditor Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
J Dinged on Internal Audits for supervising an auditor I was training Internal Auditing 10
M Internal Auditor --> Licence needed? Internal Auditing 6
V Internal Auditor Training Documents and PPT Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
V Internal Auditor Training Documents and PPT Internal Auditing 3
V Certified Internal auditor is necessary? ISO 9001 requirement? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
D Can the Plant Manager be our ISO Representative and an Internal Auditor? Internal Auditing 26
M ISO 13485 Audit Questions - Internal Auditor Training and other Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Questions about AS9100 Internal Auditor Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
R Can a external auditor raise a finding that is already identified in Internal Audit ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
P Can internal ISO 17025 Auditor conduct ISO 9001 Audit ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
P Internal Auditor Training - Audit exercises Internal Auditing 5
D Training Material for Internal Auditor Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
U TS16949 Internal Auditor Training - Is On-line training OK? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
F Internal Audit quiz - Auditor Qualifications and Requirements Internal Auditing 34
C Should I get an Internal Auditor Certification of Exemplar Global / RABQSA? Internal Auditing 17
K Take QMS Lead Auditor or IMS Internal Auditor Course? Career and Occupation Discussions 3