An outline for a Total Quality Management programme to present to senior executives

M

Martin Bailey

Imagination and TQM

Hi folks
I have as assignment for college as follows;

Discuss and develop an outline for a Total Quality Management programme for presentation to senior executives.

Whilst I have an understanding of the information and tools I must include, have any formum members any ideas that would set my assignment from the others. Comments were made that my (our) last assignments were a little 'sterile'. Basically he wants to see imagination and not the usual cultural quality assurance type answers.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards

Martin

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

Martin Bailey

Hi the assignment deadline has been extended to mid April. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Regards

Martin

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Hello Martin,

I often see the question asked, is TQM a philosophy or a set of tools. Doing a search here at the Cove should reveal this repeat question and some good information.

I think that you might want consider writing your paper on making the distinction between the two. TQM suffered horribly in the early 90s because many thought that by plugging in the TQM tools to their organizations, they would reap great rewards. By not making this distinction, organizations were doomed to get a bad taste in their mouth. Connecting yourself to a heart machine (the tool) will not improve your heart. A philosophy based on principles of exercise and nutritional diets might (if so developed by Masters).

Senior Management for the most part is looking for the big bang in the shortest amount of time. TQM is a lifelong organizational change. The return is in the long term, not the short term. It must be founded on principles. How is it that we convince our senior executives to create a vision with the future (long term) in it? Can they change their paradigm of success?

Regards,

Kevin

A

Alan Greatbatch

Martin,

I hope I can help I would start by breaking it down into the 4 main priciples.

1. CUSTOMER FOCUS
Understanding customer ans market needs and requirements.
2. CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
Using the 7 tools to define problems.
Process charts, Pareto analysis, Ishikawa (cause&effect)diagram, Histograms, Run diagrams, SPC and Check sheets. Then use Demings PDCA cycle and 7step process to resolve the problem to create an improvement.
3. TOTAL PARTICIPATION
Cross functional teams, Teamwork, Team processes and Team decisions.
4. SOCIETAL NETWORKING
Sharing ideas with other depts, sites, companies, customers, suppliers. Helping and learning from each other on the best ways to improve the interactive processes.

But remember TQM is a social and cultural change for a company that can take 5-10 years to implement depending on the starting point, the cultural history and the size of the company.

Good Luck

------------------
Alan Greatbatch

M

Martin Bailey

Many thanks for the replies guys.

I have decided to create a company (and hence a better senario) in order to answer this assignment. There are a number of assumptions I have to make and I will relate my answers and ideas to where currently work.

Initially the company has to evaluate the need for change, not only to survive but to prosper. Asking customers what are their requirements (and re-visiting this question with some frequency) also establishing how we can satisfy their needs (ie do we have the capability, what changes do we need to initiate within the organisation) are good starting quesions.

Perhaps one of the most important factors in TQM involves a commitment from senior executives - this must be visible and maintained at all times.

Since the presentation is aimed at senior execs. I think I should include more examples of cost savings, I plan to use SPC data collected on high volume low margin products to illustrate the importance of 'right first time' parameters.

As mentioned in Alan's posting TQM is a long term commitment and the journey is never ending.

Again, thanks for your help.

Best wishes

Martin

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Martin,

If you plan to target the senior level, let me recommend "The Leader's Handbook" by Peter Scholtes. It is an invaluable resource to me and I think you will understand why once you can get your hands on it. The methods provided in it surpass industries limited view and application of SPC.

Regards,

Kevin

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A AS9102 FAI Case Outline Difference AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
G Can anyone outline the advantages to an organisation - ISO 9001 Benefits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Outline of Data Integrity Training or a Data Intergrity Agreement example wanted Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
T Quality Manual shall Outline Structure of Documentation - Clause 4.2.2 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
DanteCaspian Procedure outline for hiring process Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
C Need a procedure or outline on Good Practices for Completing Quality Records/Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
GStough Outline of the Structure of Documentation in Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
B Total Productive Maintenance - Company Transport IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
J Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
K IATF16949 8.5.1.5 Total Productive Maintenance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B IATF 16949 Section 8.5.1.5 (Total Productive Maintenance) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
P Total Variation in Data - Overall Importance of the Principal Components Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M Total number of Requirements for ISO 9001:2008 vs. ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J One third of the total audit days on manufacturing (TS 16949) General Auditing Discussions 2
M Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
F What is the scope for "Total Numbers of Employees on site" per ISO/TS 16949 ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Total Lunar Eclipse Visible in North America - 15 April 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
K Can I use ANSI/AQL for the Total Number of Containers for the entire Lot? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
I Supplier Selection based on Total Cost question Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
B Total Resolution of an Measurement Instrument Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D Pls hlep me understand the "Total Anaerobic Plate Count" Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
G How can Total Quality help a company or business compete in the world market? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
M How many documents total do you currently have? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
5 Reasonable GRR result for a 0-1" micrometer with a total tolerance of .002" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
C A total newbie to AS 9101 needs general help AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
B Total Productive Maintenance Templates to Drive TPM Forward Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
N Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) Portuguese Definitions and Terms Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
V Differences between Business Process Reengineering (BPR) and Total Quality Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
Z KPI Formula Issue - "Change Requests Managed" = Changed/Total ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
optomist1 Circular Runout vs. Total Runout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S Ppk & Cpk - Within Subgroup Variation is always smaller than Total Variation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
optomist1 Circular or Total Runout Gears and Splines? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Q Inspecting Total Runout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
P Uncertainty Measurement for Colour, Odour, Taste, Turbidity, Total Suspended Solids Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
A %Total Variation & %Tolerance - Differences in Gage R&R Forms and Templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Determining the Total Sample Size using AQL - AQL Lot Quantity question AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
D TQM (Total Quality Management) Diagram Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
R Total Quality Management (TQM) in the Aerospace Industry AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A TQPC (Total Quality Process Control) for Injection Molding Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
C ASQ Quality Management Journal Vol. 17 Total Quality Management (TQM) Comments Wanted Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 8
N ISO 9001 and the HR Function - Developing a Total Quality Management System for HR ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
K Where to obtain General Concepts of Total Organic Carbon (TOC) testing information? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R Total Tolerance Method vs. Total Variation Method - Measurement System Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Mojonnier method (determining fat and total solids) validation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K Quality Assurance Clinical Research Auditor - Masters in Total Quality Management Career and Occupation Discussions 3
R TPM (Total Productive Maintenance) Reference Books Suggestions Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
M Top Three Reasons why TPM (Total Productive Maintenance) Initiatives Fail Manufacturing and Related Processes 39
N Journey towards total quality and Optimal results Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
L Total Quality Management System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3