An uncontrolled record is it a non-conformance?

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hello to all
I want to hear your opinion in this issue.
If I refer in a procedure, a document (no name, nor registered into the qms, however it is an evidence and complies its purpose, which is traceability.
Does this case deserve a nc under 9001: 2015?

If the nc exist, under which clause will fall?

Do all the documents referred into a qms procedure, must be registered/controlled in the QMS, Regarding to records? (Qms numbering)

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
We establish records to keep important information to the extent it remains important for our customer/management system.

Records may logically be controlled as documents if they include instructions, acceptance limits or parameters, or if important information is added or removed, or if the change is extensive enough to confuse people when an out-of-date version is used.

There is no need to "register" a controlled document or record form - that is, a list is not required for ISO 9001; it seems sensible to reference the record/form in the procedure to which it applies, to help personnel perform accurately.

qualprod

Golf
I mean controlled, when I have include in my control of records and documents a form.
It is supposed it is the official control, compared to an external control.
But going back to the original question, cold this be an nc?
Thanks

suffelde

Involved In Discussions
What's the risk of having two or more different revisions of the document (subsequent record) being available for those who have to use it? Are there any potential product/process integrity issues should more than one revision level be used? If one can answer the above issues (plus being in compliance with internal documented process on how your QMS documents change revision levels) as having little or no impact on product/process integrity, then within the context of your QMS, one doesn't need to have the document/record controlled. Good luck.

Golfman25

Golf
I mean controlled, when I have include in my control of records and documents a form.
It is supposed it is the official control, compared to an external control.
But going back to the original question, cold this be an nc?
Thanks
Whether it is an NC or not would be fact specific. Something to the effect of how is it controlled vs. how should it be controlled?

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello to all
I want to hear your opinion in this issue.
If I refer in a procedure, a document (no name, nor registered into the qms, however it is an evidence and complies its purpose, which is traceability.
Does this case deserve a nc under 9001: 2015?

If the nc exist, under which clause will fall?

Do all the documents referred into a qms procedure, must be registered/controlled in the QMS, Regarding to records? (Qms numbering)

Thanks
if it is evidence that shows compliance, then it's necessary for the effectiveness of the QMS and requires control. Look at 7.5.1 b & 7.5.3.1.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Is the original question because of a nonconformance written, or is it a theory question? If it is a real nonconformance written by an auditor, we could be of more help if you posted the exact wording of the nonconformance. That is if it would be appropriate and proper to post it.

qualprod

Thanks Big Jim.
What I post is the case I have, and want hear your opinion, regarding if such evidence(record) should be included into the list if documents/records or could be outside of the Qms (no control)
Thanks
Thanks

Several actual questions, for the most part which can be answered very simply: Yes, whatever the relevant clause which created the record and yes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Work Instructions; Controlled/Uncontrolled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Employee Contracts : Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
R Part Prints - Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents (e.g.: The Production Floor) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
J Uncontrolled Pictures of Packaging Posted on Walls ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S Observation - Uncontrolled Document (Cheat Sheet) General Auditing Discussions 14
K Medical Application Classification in Controlled/Uncontrolled by Mobile App State. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Q Documents uncontrolled when printed, if is not printed is controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Chennaiite Controlled vs. Uncontrolled Document - Clarification requested IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
T Living Documents which change every day - Control or Uncontrolled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
K Reasons for Issuing Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
V Can we show Photocopied Uncontrolled Copies of Documents to an FDA Auditor? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 15
C Equipment Owner's Manual used for Calibration - Is it uncontrolled procedure? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
Q Uncontrolled Hard Copy (Paper) Document Validity Period Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
T Obsolete Uncontrolled Electronic Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
bgot62 Secondary Operations and an uncontrolled document in the warehouse ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Printed Documents are considered Uncontrolled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
M Uncontrolled Inspection Report Templates Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
K Document Control Terms: Obsolete, Master Copy, Controlled and Uncontrolled Copy Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
W Can Calibration Procedures be uncontrolled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
F Referenced Documents vs. Uncontrolled Documents - Differences? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 32
J What is the difference between a controlled document and an uncontrolled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
D Controlled Engineering Drawings - Inspections to printed 'Uncontrolled' Prints Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
W Controlled Document vs. Uncontrolled Copy - Stamp requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
W Quality Manual - Controlled vs. Uncontrolled Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
H Difference between Controlled & Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
A Uncontrolled Emergency Evacuation Drawings (Signs) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A Distribution of Controlled Copy vs. Uncontrolled Copies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C Control of Documents - When?? Uncontrolled forms identified days before the audit Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
J Uncontrolled Appendix? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
J Controlling 'Uncontrolled' Documents sent to us by Customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A What is an uncontrolled copy of a controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
J Documentation/Work Instructions - Uncontrolled - Hung up at workstations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
N Definition Controlled Copy vs. Uncontrolled Copy - What are the definitions and differences? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
M Question for Auditors - "Off the Record" Conversation? General Auditing Discussions 14
C GUDID Device record history Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Defining and Documenting Record Retention CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
Q Forms Master List versus Record Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
S Service record requirements for Non-Serviceable Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R No design history file or device master record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Sam Lazzara Medical Device File (MDF per 13485:2016 4.2.3) versus FDA Device Master Record (DMR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I What kind of information needs to be in a calibration record? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
E ISO 9001:2015 - Record requirements for out of calibration tool ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
N ISO 13485 Quality Record Retention Period ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Loss of a Quality Record - FDA Inspection Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
B MDSAP 8.2.6 CH6 task 17 ANVISA 16/2013 3.2.1 - Label History in Device history record Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
I Training records and levels - When does training NOT need a record? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13