Analog Pressure Gauge with no EN837 accuracy class information

Hi,
We inherited a set of pressure equipment of which there were some analog pressure gauges (0-30psi) resolution of 1psi. These gauges were sent for calibration and the results showed 0.5psi error in 1 of the nominal input pressure. In our usage, any readings that is above a marking will be round off to the next marking's value. Would this gauge's calibration results be considered acceptable under these conditions? Is there a industrial standard that provide guideline on handling this type of gauge errors?

Besides this, are gauges with no EN837 indication reliable to use?

Appreciate any thoughts to share on this. Thanks/

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Whether or not the gages' calibration results are acceptable depends on your requirements for accuracy. It's your decision to make, and it should be based on the attendant risks.

Thanks Jim. I am trying to explain to end users that any measurements with pointers in between 2 marking (resolution of 1psi) should be consider as the next higher values. So in the case if the calibration error is -0.5psi, the gauge will still be consider acceptable as it will always be rounded off to the next value. However, if the error is +0.5psi, this will render the gauge unusable as the gauge will always have a reading that is 1psi higher than actual. Is this an acceptable explanation?
By the way, is it a common practice that calibration lab will indicate results as 0.5 if it is in between 2 markings? There seemed to be various explanations within other forum threads found in this site.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,
We inherited a set of pressure equipment of which there were some analog pressure gauges (0-30psi) resolution of 1psi. These gauges were sent for calibration and the results showed 0.5psi error in 1 of the nominal input pressure. In our usage, any readings that is above a marking will be round off to the next marking's value. Would this gauge's calibration results be considered acceptable under these conditions? Is there a industrial standard that provide guideline on handling this type of gauge errors?

Besides this, are gauges with no EN837 indication reliable to use?

Appreciate any thoughts to share on this. Thanks/

Pressure gauges are interesting..... The only way to determine with certainty the specifications is when you can identify the manufacturer and model and look up the specifications.
The EN837 gauges are good since they normally have the tolerance printed in the gauge, but most commercial gauges don't do that.
There is an American document ASME B40.1 for pressure gauges that can be helpful in determining "generic" tolerances for unidentified gauges, but that is still not a guarantee of the designed accuracy of the gauge.

Years ago I developed a "cheat sheet" for my people to make an educated guess to the accuracy of the gauge, I have attached a copy.

Attachments

Thanks dwperron. The cheat sheet is really helpful as a guide. So the 30psi analog pressure gauge i have will fall under grade 'A'. The accuracy 2-1-2%, does this mean?:

0 - 7.5psi = 2% FS

7.5 - 22.5psi = 1% FS

22.5 - 30psi = 2% FS

I've also attached a snapshot of the calibration report. Noticed the 30psi actual is different for ascending and descending. I'm thinking that they should be the same as when ascending peak is reached, it should continued from descending to check on hysteresis? Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.
Gage Hysteresis.jpg

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks dwperron. The cheat sheet is really helpful as a guide. So the 30psi analog pressure gauge i have will fall under grade 'A'. The accuracy 2-1-2%, does this mean?:

0 - 7.5psi = 2% FS

7.5 - 22.5psi = 1% FS

22.5 - 30psi = 2% FS

I've also attached a snapshot of the calibration report. Noticed the 30psi actual is different for ascending and descending. I'm thinking that they should be the same as when ascending peak is reached, it should continued from descending to check on hysteresis? Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.
View attachment 26214
You are interpreting the specifications correctly.

Yes, the 30 psi should be the same for the descending hysteresis check as in the ascending. That would indicate one of a couple of possible issues:
Your pressure standard is not stable.
More likely, you did not give enough time for your gauge to stabilize on the ascending reading.

Common practice is to give the gauge a light tap with the fingers before taking a reading to overcome any meter friction, that might have helped here.
Also, on analog gauges it is common to adjust the calibrator pressure until to reach one of the test points for the gauge. For instance, if you adjust the calibrator to read exactly 15 psi on the gauge you would report that the Nominal pressure was 15 psi, the reading was 15 psi, and the Source pressure was 14.87 psi or whatever the calibrator was reading. That is a lot easier and more accurate than just setting the calibrator to 15 and interpreting what the gauge is reading between marks on the dial.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Correct reading for analog pressure gauge ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
V Analog Pressure Gauge Calibration - smallest resolution practice General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
A How to read an analog instrument during calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
A Has anyone tried a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
R Comparing the Accuracy of Analog vs. Digital Multimeter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Marc Confusion Reigns As Analog TV Begins Shutdown After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
O How many items should be tested to qualify an analog IC? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Assigning a PDF for Analog Resolutions - OIML R49-2 Test Methods for Cold Water Meter Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
K Digital vs. Analog Megohmmeter - Analog vs. DMM - Seeking Reviews / Opinions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Calibration of Timers to NIST - How are digital and analog timers calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
E The correct way to read an analog gage is??? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Qyu Autoclave and Sample Container - Pressure-steam cooking's effect Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
O Selection of a calibrator (pressure generator, temperature) for my field devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Proper ISO standard for Pressure Testing and Leak Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Sampling Plan for Alumin High Pressure Die Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S How to calculate the maximum allowable hysteresis of a pressure gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Rincewind Pressure energy - Essential Requirements (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Pressure requirement of home based Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
A Calibration of Pressure Gauge, How to Determine Calibration Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Opening pressure of one-way valve in anaesthetic workstation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Colin Pressure Vessels for Human Occupation (PVHO) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S Pressure Gauge Calibration Uncertainty Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
renenatasha MDD Classification for Pressure Monitoring Set CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Ajit Basrur MS Excel to study Correlation between Humidity & Differential Pressure Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
S What is the minimum pressure differential required for ISO Class 8 Clean Room? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) - Fastener questions CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Control Plan MSA's - Pressure Gages IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Looking for calibration specification for Fluke 7250 pressure controller General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A FDA Blood Pressure Monitoring Equipment Measurement Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
O CE TCF (Technical Construction File) Template for LVD/EMC/Pressure Directive CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
A German MTK (MPBetreibV ? 11) Blood Pressure Meter Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Pressure from Directors - confused! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
N Procedure/calculation for determining the foot pressure of dial thickness gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
O Pressure Equipment Directive PED (97/23/EC) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C What would be the Device Classification for a Blood Pressure Monitor in EU ? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Applicable Medical Device Standards for Home Use Blood Pressure Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
GURU SDI Measurement - Pressure Drop vs. Leak Rate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
F Pressure Regulator Testing and Selection Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R Pressure Test Dial Gage Selection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
T Who pays for certification to the PED (Pressure Equipment Directive)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
D Calibration and Tolerance Ranges of Pressure Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Calibrating Digital Pressure Gages In-House General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
K ASME BPVC (Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code) Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Pinout of Keller PAA-15 Pressure Transducer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P EN 1618 Clarification Re: Catheter Pressure Testing Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
B Validation of a Pressure Decay Leak Tester for a Medical Device Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
R How to Inspect the Weld Strength of High Pressure Vessel & Oil Pipe Line Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Guideline to Calibrate Chamber Temp. & Pressure of a Medical Steam Sterilizer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8