Analyzing Corrective/Preventive Actions and How to Track Due Dates

A

amariepsu

Does anyone have a system in place to analyze data related to Corrective & Preventive Actions? For example, how do you track due dates? Do you look for similar issues and categorize the data accordingly? We are in the process of implementing a QMS, and have many open CARs. I would like to analyze these by looking for statistical trends in the data, but I don't know where to start.

Does anyone have some advice for me?

Thanks so much!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Analyzing Corrective/Preventive Actions

Hi,
I could suggest you something for corrective actions coming from audits ( internal-external) but CA can also come from everywhere in an organization.
You can use a dedicated software ( there are lots in circulation) but also xls sheets are usefull to categorize the findings based upon the violated clause ( for example 6.1, 7.5 and so on , related to ISO 9001 or ISO TS ).
You can set a sort of outlook remainder on the mail of the response coordinator that will have ownership to fix and implement action for the realted finding.
Same thing for preventive actions with the same method, also using outlook remainder for decided action of the process owners of the organization , for exampke coming from FMEA or other risk analysis methods.
In xls sheet you can also have sections for audited processes, monitoring of action completion of the corrective and also to do follow up for effectiveness of the action in a certain time frame.
Anyway lot of software exist and are already programmed for this purpose.
Hope this helps

L

LexieB

Hi,
I could suggest you something for corrective actions coming from audits ( internal-external) but CA can also come from everywhere in an organization.
You can use a dedicated software ( there are lots in circulation) but also xls sheets are usefull to categorize the findings based upon the violated clause ( for example 6.1, 7.5 and so on , related to ISO 9001 or ISO TS ).
You can set a sort of outlook remainder on the mail of the response coordinator that will have ownership to fix and implement action for the realted finding.
Same thing for preventive actions with the same method, also using outlook remainder for decided action of the process owners of the organization , for exampke coming from FMEA or other risk analysis methods.
In xls sheet you can also have sections for audited processes, monitoring of action completion of the corrective and also to do follow up for effectiveness of the action in a certain time frame.
Anyway lot of software exist and are already programmed for this purpose.
Hope this helps
That is exactly what I do... outlook is good enough, I don't think you need fancy tools. Everytime we process CAs, or anything else, I input to outlook and "invite attendees" or assign to people with the due dates. Also, just to double check, I periodically go through my CAs to see what's still open. It only takes a few minutes.

qusys

We also use to a sort of monttly report , sent via email to each audited organization to the related managers and process owner as well as response coordinators, concerning with the status of pending actions as well.
Using xls sheet , you can also produce data and then perform analyis to improve your audit program and also monitor actions from external audits.
Provide data and related analysis in aggregate form could be a good base as an input of your management review as well.
Besides, you can also track SCAR ( Supplier Coorective Action response) for non conformities raised up vs your Suppliers in case of problem for materials, goods, services provided by them.
The closure of related actions with respected times and quality could be tracked with the same method in apart sheet. Results can be used to monitor the quality of your Supplier as well as a part of yearly supplier evaluation.

J

JaneB

That is exactly what I do... outlook is good enough, I don't think you need fancy tools. Everytime we process CAs, or anything else, I input to outlook and "invite attendees" or assign to people with the due dates. Also, just to double check, I periodically go through my CAs to see what's still open. It only takes a few minutes.
It depends on how large the system is - this kind of system is fine for a smallish organisation. It couldn't cope with a large one - or one with many CAs etc. In that case, a database type system might be better, as doing it manually could take a long time.

But Amareipsu, don't get too wrapped up in due dates unless doing so gives useful results. Eg, at times an original due date may have appeared feasible, but then the issue turns out to be larger and takes longer. In my view that's fine as I'm much more interested in effective resolution than in closing off on the dot. (But equally, you don't want 'em constantly lagging & taking too long either.)

What kind of business are you in, and what kind of data are you collecting that you want to analyse for trends?

A

amariepsu

We manufacture and distribute fasteners and related products. Currently the company only has about 100 employees, but we are rapidly growing. We have the following issues:

Corrective Actions submitted by the customer are not managed by one person, nor is there a designated area for them. The ones that are tracked are constantly past due, which has resulted in a lot of negativity from the customer. (I don't blame them)

Internal Corrective actions are not followed up on in an efficient manner.

There is no data analysis associated with any of our corrective actions at all. Including those submitted to supplier. We are not identifying any trends or measuring any data. Unfortunately, in my current position, I only have a small amount of authority, so I can't redesign the entire system. I can, however, start with analyzing trends in the Internal Corrective Action data, and use that as an example for tackling the customer and supplier corrective actions.

J

JaneB

From what you say, there's some distinct weaknesses then, and definitely considerable scope for improvement. Your strategy sounds good - tackle the part/s where you can make a difference.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Many companies do a poor job on RCA, CAPA, and it boggles my mind. So much potential for improvement ignored. Ticked-off customers to boot. Your concern is good, but without help from those with the authority to make it happen you have a tough fight.

K.I.S.S. In our company ($70M mfg co) all customer CA requests flow to one person who issues the internal CAR to an appropriate manager. A simple Excel chart, sent out weekly, tracks due dates and other associated info for each CAR. It gets visibility at the Senior Staff meeting, so the President sees it.

If the leadership takes it seriously, it will get done. If not, whatever else the leadership takes seriously will get done and CAPA won't. It is, for the most part, as simple as that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Analyzing internal data for corrective action Internal Auditing 4
qualprod Complying with ISO 9001:2015 - 9.1.1 b - Monitoring, measuring, analyzing and evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q Analyzing Process Bottlenecks Tools ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
S ANOVA/Regression - Analyzing a Dataset which contains over 4500 Points Using Minitab Software 3
G Characterization Studies: Analyzing Data to Establish Conclusions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
W Best quadratic subset for analyzing a Response Surface Design with Minitab 15 Using Minitab Software 6
C Analyzing 3 Factors 3 Levels using Minitab Using Minitab Software 9
P Help Setting Up and Analyzing 3 Factor 2 Level Full Factorial Design for DOE Using Minitab Software 3
N Different Distribution Parameters when analyzing the same data in different ways Using Minitab Software 8
M Type 1 Gage R&R - Analyzing Run Chart and I-mR Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M I came across this site with several analyzing tools (Excel) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
C Analyzing Attribute Data - Mechanical Pull Testing of Joint Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
R Analyzing Customer Satisfaction Indexes Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
S Chi-Square Conundrum - Analyzing tree death across 3 areas Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
C Analyzing Full Factorial Design in Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
M Transforming your Data - Analyzing a DOE Six Sigma 5
M FMEA Interface Matrix - Analyzing risks of electronic health records system FMEA and Control Plans 4
N ANOVA Help Analyzing Extrusion Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
D Analyzing fishbone diagram Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
A Net Promoter Score (NPS) for Analyzing the Client Satisfaction Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
K Process monitoring, measuring and analyzing, does this means all company processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
MarilynJ6354 Satmetrix Net Promoter - Has anyone used this for analyzing customer survey data? Service Industry Specific Topics 4
C Analyzing Data with a Non-Normal distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 41
D Tools for analyzing 3 factors at the same time Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 12
H Ever given an Operations Manager an internal Corrective Action Request? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Human error corrective action 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
L Article 87 Field Safety Corrective Actions in a third country EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Use of Supplier's Corrective Action Form vs. Corporate Form Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
M Corrective action for a defect from customer's mistaken Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Q Corrective action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
L Corrective and Preventive Actions aligned to design related defects. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
H Streamlining audit response and corrective action processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Q Corrective Action Notification - Registration Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
S I need help in corrective action plan Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
B NADCAP Rejection Response to Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action. Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
A Final quality control corrective actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Continual Improvement as Result of Corrective Action? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 32
3 Non-conformance Register vs Corrective Action Register ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
D Northern Ireland Field Safety Corrective Actions (FSCA) UK Medical Device Regulations 5
A Corrective Actions and the 5 why's Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
A Corrective Action Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Not every INCIDENT report will lead to a corrective action EU Medical Device Regulations 7
L Separate Corrective Action and Preventive Action Procedures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
Q Determining Adverse Effects of Corrective/Preventive Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T AS9100D Clause 10.2.1g Supplier Corrective Action for each and every nonconformity? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Non conformance (NC) or Corrective & Preventive action (CAPA) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
D Corrective Action Timing - IATF CB Deadline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R AS 9100D - Containment and Corrective action AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10