And now, let's add software development - Medical Devices - Applying ISO9001:2000

Q

Quality Queen

Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me to shed light on this situation.

Our company is currently registered to ISO13485:1996 and will (hopefully) soon begin our updating to the 2003 version. However, our company is also taking on a few new projects that include software development, :( which is something completely new for us.

I've found some guidance on applying ISO9001:2000 to software development which I suspect will help me greatly, however is there a separate standard for software or something specific about software and medical devices that I should be addressing?

Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Quality Queen said:
Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me to shed light on this situation.

Our company is currently registered to ISO13485:1996 and will (hopefully) soon begin our updating to the 2003 version. However, our company is also taking on a few new projects that include software development, :( which is something completely new for us.

I've found some guidance on applying ISO9001:2000 to software development which I suspect will help me greatly, however is there a separate standard for software or something specific about software and medical devices that I should be addressing?

Thanks in advance!
Quality Queen, look at IEC 60601-1-4, General requirements for safety - Collateral Standard: Programmable electrical medical systems

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Quality Queen said:
Thanks in advance!
QQ,
The guidelines for applying ISO9001:2000 to software development is
ISO90003:2004. This standard links to various ISO/IEC standards in Software Quality Engineering. Example 12207, 15271,15288 IEEE standards 1059 etc.

As suggested by Al Rosen, IEC 60601-1-4, General requirements for safety - Collateral Standard: Programmable electrical medical systems
and some more:
ANSI/AAMI/ISO 14971-Risk Management - Part 1: Application of Risk Management
ANSI/AAMI SW68-Medical device software - Software life cycle processes
ANSI/AAMI HE74-2001-Human Factors Design Process for Medical Devices
and other related standards.

Iam not from the medical devices field. You may want get more feedback from other members on the application of these Medical device software standards.

Govind.

W

wrodnigg

rgijzels said:
QQ,
Another way to go is GAMP (Good Autmated Manufacturing Practices). It's based on best practices in the software industry and recommended by FDA.
This is not quite correct.

The scope of the GAMP Guide is the Validation of Automated Systems.

And automated systems are defined as
Abroad range of systems, including automated manufacturing equipment, control systems, automated laboratory systems, manufacturing execution systems and computers running laboratory or manufacturing database systems. The automated system consists of the hardware, software and network components, together with the controlled functions and associated documentation.
The Guide provides a general approach suitable for all types of automated systems.

Therefore the GAMP Guide is primarily written for automated production equipment.

To my opinion one should consider that fact. And one shall not use the GAMP Guide 1by1 for software developing projects. It can give the direction, but is was designed for manufacturing equipment, not for software development.

For a Software Company a good start is the already mentioned ISO 90003:2004. And there is the FDA Guideline for Software Validation.
And especially for medical device software, one should read the SW68 Guide.

And finally a new standard for Medical Device Software Risk Management "AAMI/TIR XX:200X" (SWN004) is in draft status right now.

The central element is the software development model, which shall support the whole lifecycle. Which belief one follows is not as important as to know that one follows a belief (and to implement the necessary elements (traceabilty) in the development model).

Many books have been written on software development, and we cold discuss this topic for years... :bonk:

Important is, that there is a development process, and this process is documented with fixed phases and milestones... And one should not try to follow too many standards the same time, becaus then you get lost in details...

R

rgijzels

Yes ... the scope of GAMP is validation of automated systems. To be more specific ... the Guide draws together key principles and practices and describes how they can be applied to determine the extent and scope of validation for different types of automated systems. However, no automated system without software ... Therefore, GAMP distinguishes 5 different Software Gategories:
1. Operating Systems
2. Standard Instruments, Micro-controllers, Smart Instrumentation
3. Standard Software Packages
4. Configurable Software Packages
5. Custom Built or Bespoke Systems

For each software category, GAMP suggests a software development life cycle process based on best practices in the software industry.

Furthermore, the FDA recommends GAMP in their CSV Guide http://www.fda.com/csv :

"Although the GAMP document has been written specifically with manufacturing systems in mind it is recommended as a general reference as the principles contained within it are general and can be applied to the validation of systems of all types"

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
rgijzels said:
Furthermore, the FDA recommends GAMP in their CSV Guide http://www.fda.com/csv :

"Although the GAMP document has been written specifically with manufacturing systems in mind it is recommended as a general reference as the principles contained within it are general and can be applied to the validation of systems of all types"
That is not the government FDA site. Notice the .com in the address denoting a commercial site. The FDA site is http://www.FDA.gov. I've attached the FDA's guidance on software validation that wrodnigg had linked to.

Attachments

R

rgijzels

You are absolutely right ... fda.com is not fda.org ... but the statement still holds. I'm only giving advice based on more than 10 years experience within a global company dealing with the FDA on a regularly basis. And I can tell you this ... the FDA fully supports the GAMP effort and references to GAMP in many of their publications on fda.gov.

By the way ... if you scroll back, you will see that I also linked that FDA guidance document. In my opinion, that should be your first reading ... if you are a newbie to md software validation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ScottK Let's Catch Up... what's happened to you since last June Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
E Contacting FDA via phone to let them know a Submission is Imminent Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
W Let's play... Classify My Medical Device!!! EU Medical Device Regulations 15
S Is it alright to let the supplier do all measurements and inspection? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
J How many Major Nonconformances could let the Audit be Terminated? General Auditing Discussions 9
T Let's share ideas about an inspection problem.... Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Z Let us Discuss ISO 9001's Tomorrow ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N TL 9000 Starter - Please let me know if anyone has worked on TL 9000 Software Quality Assurance 1
L It is fair and legal to let a customer to make an assessment audit based on other cus IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Hershal Congrats! Let's talk about top posters in the threads General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
R Quality Management System not active for 6 months. Registration let it Lapse or Fail? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R The Improvement in Sigma Level (from Let's fix six sigma) Six Sigma 4
T Let's fix Six Sigma! Six Sigma 197
S How do you let customers know you are certified on your literature? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q How to write my CV if I was let go? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
A Quality Policy - Please let me know your opinions and comments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
tony s Let the Registrar audit the Internal Audit process Internal Auditing 45
Claes Gefvenberg Let's do age! How 'Old' will you be in 2007? A poll - Version 3 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 91
K What do you expect from a new position? Let?s compare benefits Career and Occupation Discussions 18
Hershal Football! (OK, we will even let soccer come in) - Fall 2006 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 162
H Benchmarks for Plastic Injection Molding - Let's Share! Benchmarking 18
Hershal MEMORIAL DAY 2007 - Let it be heard Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 18
W Useful PC software utilities let's share some info? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 20
Jim Wynne A Modest Proposal: Let's Get Rid of "Quality." Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 15
Douglas E. Purdy 7.5.2 e) Revalidation - Let me run this by you for verification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Steve Prevette Let's nominate a Cove'r for ASQ Board! ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
E The Chit Chat and 'Let's Meet' Thread - Meeting Other Elsmar Cove Participants Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 186
E Let's do age! How 'Old' are you? A poll - Version 2 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 223
Marc Let The Lawsuits Begin! Lawsuit could set crucial Y2K precedent World News 3
D Class III license: Add new device to the license system Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
S Can the Registrar add an Observer without client approval? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T API 4F & 7K license - Add Mexico location? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
T Do I need to add non-product related service providers to my ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
T Add checking aid to quality systems Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D Add new device to current license Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
A Add MDSAP to Internal Audit Schedule Medical Device Related Regulations 0
G We want to add Covid-2 /19 to our air filter 510 K Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Anyone Familiar with "SPC for Excel" add-in? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
F How do you add accuracies for tools with different measurement devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
qualprod Add new action plans in CA, while waiting effectiveness - Same problem reappears ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M IATF 16949 - 8.5.6.1.1 Providing a list of process controls: Does this requirement add value to QMS? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D FDA filing guidance to add sterilization step for approved drug Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
V How to Add Annual Revalidation requirements to Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 5
A Add-On software for VMC to calculate setting time, Idle Time, OEE etc.. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J What to add to our QMS for Clause 4 Context of the Organization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Q Really do they add value (Vision, Mission, Values)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D How to add AS9145 requirements to my existing AS9100 QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
P Recommendations on SPC Software or Excel SPC add-in(s) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
J Add API Q1 & Q2 to Quality Management System Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1